How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
Back on thread!
First day out today 1st Jan. on my local pit. Wag and mag on an almost summer temperature of 15 degrees.
About 50 small fish to keep the interest going plus some bigger skimmers and just one clunking roach.
A nice day.
PS a mate was over there having spent the night of New Years Eve after the carp.. Apparently his wife wasn't impressed by all accounts.

rayner

Reaction score
Back on thread!
First day out today 1st Jan. on my local pit. Wag and mag on an almost summer temperature of 15 degrees.
About 50 small fish to keep the interest going plus some bigger skimmers and just one clunking roach.
A nice day.
PS a mate was over there having spent the night of New Years Eve after the carp.. Apparently his wife wasn't impressed by all accounts.
She was quite happy enough ;) ;)

Keep

Reaction score
wpIDMBk.jpg

not sure what's sadder, this pike, or me photographing it after about 10 blanks

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It's not always sunshine and barbel on the Lot. I woke early this morning and felt there may be a fish waiting for me at "The Garden swim".

Well, I set up there in the pitch black and had one bream just as it got light. Plenty of bites but I was after barbel and reluctant to downsize my baits too much. I don't mind bream but one is enough!

Garden bream gloom.jpg

Most of the morning was gloomy with heavy mist. The river had dropped about 2 metres in the last four days, still a very good flow.

Garden gloom.jpg

Continued getting bites, but as there are plenty of small roach here if you put a feeder on they turn into piranha! I stuck it out with various boilies as I have not had a barbel or carp for over a month! I continue to live in hope of a better fish!

The sun did break through for a couple of hours, long enough for a winter thaw. Feeling good now! :)

John Aston

Reaction score
I started the New Year with a blank on New Year's Day. 15 C , sun and a soft SW wind tempted me into thinking I should target Ide at a local semi commercial which , thankfully, is deserted in winter . That means I can enjoy a pretty lake without a barrage of gratuitously large leads and the loud effing and blinding which punctuates summer days here . Hope sprang eternal - I've had Ide to over 4lbs here and it being winter I was less likely to be troubled by the damn carp which make silverfish fishing with light gear such a tightrope walk. I wasn't troubled by so much as a dip of the float ...

But I was today , which will have some red letters in my diary . Grayling were the target, and I decided to fish one of the more inaccessible beats. It's not exactly hiking in the Yukon , but a 35 minute walk on muddy paths in chest waders was a good pip opener . River was perfect , about 12" above summer level, with good visibility and very strong flow . FWIW , gear was my usual Harrison GTi Match 12' , Okuma pin and some new Reflo Float Max 0.23mm (6lb bs ) with Reflo 0.15mm hook length - heavy , but absolutely needed today . Dendrobena on a 10 B983 under a 4AA Loafer .
It was fab . I had 7 grayling - two under a pound , two about a pound and (weighed) fish of 2-6, 2-7 and 2- 12 . They don't half hold on in a strong flow . They looked magnificent - but no photos , they're fragile things and after a very quick weigh I want them back in the river. When I saw the big fish I thought it might be a three - and a PB ( I've had 3 of 2-13 ) . On the bank , I thought it was 2-4 ...and that just reinforces my scepticism every time one of my game fishing chums blithely mentions a two pound trout and three pound grayling he's caught but not weighed . 'If you don't weigh it don't say it' , as the Americans put it.

Here's a picture of the pool where I had the 2-6 . It took the worm on the edge of the fast run about half way across in about 2' 6" of water and was serious handful in the flow. A magic day.
grayling swim.jpg

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Out on the upper Soar this morning after yet another blank on Saturday attempting to get a pike at the local reservoir.
The river was up over a foot since my last visit with a good colour, not stewed tea, and a steady pace.
Started off on the quivertip with crust on the hook and pleased to find that there was very little sub surface rubbish tangling my line and eventually had a brownie at 1lb 2oz. Tried a couple more downstream bends with no luck so moved upstream of my first swim on a straight featureless section but it always seems to produce a few bites.
Sat there day dreaming and wondering why around twenty crows had suddenly congregated in the tree tops along the old railway line with about five magpies trying to join in whatever was going on.
Still on legered crust saw two more fish - another brownie at 1lb 8oz and a small chub at 1lb 2oz.
Roaming further upstream saw another brownie at 1lb 1oz banked. The crows were still gathering in various tree tops but had their attention diverted by a passing kestrel.
One last trot on the float at the back of the barns brought no further bites - back to the car.

Philip

Reaction score
With a couple of hours free I was back on the tiny stream after Roach. There is a short window of opportunity here based on water levels & conditions so you have to make hay when the time arises.

This trip I concentrated on one short section & once again fished just hookbaits, no loose feed whatsoever. The fishing is really absorbing as its such a small water you really get a sense of whats happening in the swim & how the fish are reacting to pressure. After catching the first one they clearly started to back off and I was having to flick the baits further and further downstream to get bites. The water is totally unmanaged & the thick undergrowth & tangle of trees meant I could only follow them so far. I tried running a float down but they wouldn’t have it so I switched back to touch ledgering with a minute link ledger. Sitting low and still you could almost sense the fish creeping back up river and then you would get a tug.

Its overgrown so a short rod comes in handy..
swim (2).jpg

Once again I ended with just 5 fish but they were all good ones topped by this one of 1lb 11oz…a very long fish that when I netted it I thought would be bigger but it had no depth to it. They come in all shapes and sizes here from the long lean ones to very short fat ones. I am hoping one of these days to make acquaintance with a long fat one :)

1lb 11oz ....it had the length of a much bigger fish but lacked the depth..

Roach2  (2).jpg

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I fished the Thames yesterday, big mistake should have fished the Kennet! The Thames was hammering through, up and very coloured. I tried three different swims, had 8 average roach on legered bread right in the edge in the last swim. Quite a strong westerly wind blowing across the field behind me, the water was an amazing 50F so should have caught more? What didn't help was a pair of free-swimmers (there're mad) entering the water only about 10 yards upstream of where I was fishing - inconsiderate bastards!

john step

Reaction score
What didn't help was a pair of free-swimmers (there're mad) entering the water only about 10 yards upstream of where I was fishing - inconsiderate bastards!
I have had them in the winter on the Witham. They ran down to the boat pontoons and dived straight in. All in bare feet. When they climbed out they were standing where generations of kids and bigger kids have no doubt lost trebles, broken bottles and all sorts of debris . Barking.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I doubt they had as much impact on the fishing as we think. There was a guy who not long ago photographed every British fish and he swam right up to them. Likewise there is a guy called David Miller who does the fishing licence pictures among other underwater art. He also swims up to fish without spooking them to take reference shots. I saw some on Weir Wood reservoir last year on a frosty day, they’re absolutely bonkers. I mentioned this to one of them and he said it was a lot warmer than the previous week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think they affect fishing in winter as more hungry fish are abroad in summer,disturbances are not conducive to catching decent fish in clearish,cold water...

John Aston

Reaction score
Wild swimmers are now a part of the landscape. God knows, old gits like me moan enough about the youth of today being stuck indoors , glued to their screens , but we moan even more when they have the nerve to ignore the lazy stereotype by enjoying our rivers, if in a different way to how we do . Radio 4's Today programme has been doing a series on river quality this week, and today featured a woman who has wild swum for years in the Wye who was passionately concerned about the loss of water crowfoot.

We need all the friends we can get.

bullet

Reaction score
Summer on the Wye is like Butlins, but the fish don't seem to care, if they did they would probably starve to death!