How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
bb

Have you seen the price of fairy liquid, I fold a piece of bread over the line.
Yep, but the new bottles don't have a decent top.And I was given the original top many years ago ,so it didn't cost me anything.
I can't afford bread ? or a tin of biscuits to put a penny on. ?
There must be some rich anglers on here. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yep, but the new bottles don't have a decent top.And I was given the original top many years ago ,so it didn't cost me anything.
I can't afford bread ? or a tin of biscuits to put a penny on. ?
There must be some rich anglers on here. ?
I know what you mean, the affluence of some of them, a whole tin of biscuits, strewth, another world, I can only dream...and don't start me on prawns.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I know what you mean, the affluence of some of them, a whole tin of biscuits, strewth, another world, I can only dream...and don't start me on prawns.
Prawns, ??? !!!!
Don't go fishing with @mikench I saw his bait tray once , it was like a tasting menu for a Michelin restaurant.
Prawns, mussels plus a cacophony of other delicacies.?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
bb

Have you seen the price of fairy liquid, I fold a piece of bread over the line.
Your folded bread method ,even though I can't afford it, has given me an idea.
I have some Fjuka pellets that I got for free.
These can be moulded into whatever shape you want. I am thinking of moulding and folding one or two over my line like you do with your expensive bread.
Thanks for the tip ??

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Prawns, ??? !!!!
Don't go fishing with @mikench I saw his bait tray once , it was like a tasting menu for a Michelin restaurant.
I know, I have seen it, you would think he would be embarrassed, brazen as anything, I couldn't afford his bait tray let alone what's on it and he still can't catch ---- all, will he ever learn. I might just seek him out on the bank one day and bring my knife and fork and a bottle of ketchup.

:)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Prawns, ??? !!!!
I do spoil my fish; it's a failing of mine. Always carry some mayo and paprika with you so if the prawns and sliced bread don't work , you can make a delicious butty.??

Reaction score
Many of these carp anglers quote the single bleep and a nod on the rod,upon picking up the rod finding the fish on,these fish have sussed their rigs and are not getting caught,I watched an underwater video by korda where they watched many carp coming on to baited areas,picking up their baits and getting away with it,that is partly why named carp only get caught on average 1-3 times a year,they have to be outsmarting the angler...which is amusing imo as the supposed amount of science that goes into carp angling is enormous...

Reaction score
Trouble is prawns,cockles,mussels etc are very good baits and often outfish pellets and meat etc on natural waters,certain waters I know only produce their better fish on them,or boilie...

bullet

Reaction score
I find Carp Rigs quite amusing as there is all this talk of subtlety and camoflaging the hook and yet these days they seem to be covered in metal rings, bits of tubing and other gubbins.
Still, if they work they work....

waldi

Reaction score
I find Carp Rigs quite amusing as there is all this talk of subtlety and camoflaging the hook and yet these days they seem to be covered in metal rings, bits of tubing and other gubbins.
Still, if they work they work
I fish wild/unstocked rivers and lakes exclusively and have never found over-complcated rigs to bring any benefits.
Running leger, link leger and freeling for 99.9% of my bottom fishing and either fixed or sliding float for everything else.

The only concession I make to "Exotic Rigs" is a short anti-tagle sleeve when long range legering.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Down the Colne this afternoon when Neil 1970, Couple of hours lure fishing.. good fun and great company, haven’t laughed so much for weeks….

Waterfowl on the town pit, next to the Colne in town, spot Skippy's speed boat in the background. Lol….

”straight across my baits” says Skippy. Blimey, that’s a long cast, skip… haha,,!

C6CD48DA-2CB7-4D84-8A00-73874BFE5427.jpeg

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Spinning again yesterday on the local reservoir yielded two pike, 1lb & 6lb ish together with four small perch then around 9am everything switch off. Two colleagues on the opposite bank ahd only managed a scraper double on the deadbaits - no fry being chased by anything but at least no blank.

waldi

Reaction score
The wife let me out for an hour today, no chaperone, instructions or shoppling list :)
Went to the local river after barbel. There's a shoal of 10 or 12 in the area marked. Nothing big probably 3-6 pounders.

1634495394349.jpeg

Bread mash and flake got me a couple of inquisitive tugs then this came along:

1634495548113.jpeg

A nice little Roach or Hybrid.
Measured 34cms and gave me a real run-around trying to keep it out the sunken branch in the foto.

In only a foot or 2 water they are really quick!

john step

Reaction score
If its a roach its very big but as you say its got a bit of something else in there. Any ideas?