How did you get on?

Reaction score
Doesnt look like an ide to me,wrong eye colour,fins are not crimson enough,looks like a roach with a pug nose,funnier thing have happened...

waldi

Reaction score
looks like a roach with a pug nose, funnier thing have happened...
The foto is deceiving, On the bank I didn't notice anything strange about the mouth. I had to look twice when I got home :unsure:

I'm always wary about claiming big roach as I find it really difficult to be sure.

silvers

Reaction score
I’ve not been angling for a couple of weeks, as a holiday to Cornwall intervened ... so was back for the 2nd round of the Bedford winter league on Sunday.
this round was fished at Ringstead shallows on the Nene, Which isn’t that shallow, last year I had 11ft of depth and this year the deepest part of the peg was nearly 10 feet!!
I was lucky enough to win the corresponding fixture last year, with sixteen and a half pounds of lovely roach ... but was not so fortunate this year. The river was painfully clear still, I could see one misplaced ball of white crumb on the deck in 7ft of water! the days of constant colour in the Nene are now ancient memories.
I set up to fish 3 lines ... bread punch at 4m in the deepest part of the peg.
loose fed hemp & caster at about 7m ... from where the bottom shelved up rapidly to the far bank ... where I was catapulting a few casters regularly for a waggler option.

i managed a few small fish off each line (roach, dace, chublets, bleak and a couple of perch) but it was pretty slow going. I thought that I might have seven pounds ... but only weighed in 5 pounds 9 ounces ... which was good enough for third in section .. but miles off the section (and match) winner who had an ounce shy of 15 pounds of bigger Chublets up to a pound.

Our team, Blunham AC, were equal first on section points with two others ... but lost out for first place on weight.

steve drakulic was our best performer again ... catching 11 pounds of small roach to win the bottom section. with hindsight, he fed 3 pints of pinkies for that ... I rather suspect that I’d have caught a lot more from my peg with a similar approach.

Reaction score
Didnt chat team tactics then Alex,typical of Bedford anglers,an individual team match,3pts of pinkie had to be a pre-determined approach,not many anglers would carry more than a pint and a half....

bracket

Reaction score
I had a trip to the Frome this morning. Quite an interesting experience, limbo-ing under barb wire fences and negotiating rickety styles. Piece of cake forty years ago. Today rather daunting. Walked around three quarters of a mile to get this favoured peg:

However the river is low and clear, needs rain through it. This peg normally draws three foot but at the moment is half that depth.
Just managed to set up before the rain came and then had a nice three hours trotting a small stick with red maggot on a 20 hook.
Unusually, no sign of a grayling, but a raft of small trout and a couple of salmon parr. Hence no photos. I knocked it on the head after 3 hours, as the rain was getting heavier and the wind rising. Turned to climb back up the bank, but having been stood up, my feet had sunk into the chalk and I unintentionally sat in the river and got a wet bum. Rather spoilt what had been a pleasant, but unrewarding session. Returned home to my completely unsympathetic Lady, who told me I should not be such a pratt and it was about time the windows were cleaned. So, no rest for the wicked and I have certainly been well wicked in my time. Pete

mikench

Reaction score
The forecast for the entire week looked poor but today afforded an opportunity to go with only a 50% chance of rain for a couple of hours. . It started raining about 11.00am and did so incessantly and increasingly heavily until nearly 3.00 pm. Gordon often forgets his brolly and sits stoically in the rain.

IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG

Gordon had 36 fish including a few handsome ide of around 12 oz or more but no really large fish. I had the most carp I have ever caught in a day ranging from common, F1 and mainly mirror. The trouble was they were all this size.

IMG_1309.JPG

Cute or what! The rain spoiled the day as I hate sitting under a brolly struggling to cast and to land fish. Whilst I remained perfectly dry fishing in the rain isn't for me. I had about 20 little carp and a dozen small Rudd, gudgeon and roach. Well at least we went Gordon and stayed the course for an enjoyable if quiet day with brollies and hoods curtailing sensible discussion. A lady angler turned up and set up a bivvy and had a go at feeder fishing and looked very adept. Shame the fish didn't oblige. It is good to see female anglers on the bank as fishing is about finesse and skill rather than brute force and ignorance so they are ideally suited.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The forecast for the entire week looked poor but today afforded an opportunity to go with only a 50% chance of rain for a couple of hours. . It started raining about 11.00am and did so incessantly and increasingly heavily until nearly 3.00 pm. Gordon often forgets his brolly and sits stoically in the rain.

View attachment 17574View attachment 17575
Gordon had 36 fish including a few handsome ide of around 12 oz or more but no really large fish. I had the most carp I have ever caught in a day ranging from common, F1 and mainly mirror. The trouble was they were all this size.

View attachment 17576

Cute or what! The rain spoiled the day as I hate sitting under a brolly struggling to cast and to land fish. Whilst I remained perfectly dry fishing in the rain isn't for me. I had about 20 little carp and a dozen small Rudd, gudgeon and roach. Well at least we went Gordon and stayed the course for an enjoyable if quiet day with brollies and hoods curtailing sensible discussion. A lady angler turned up and set up a bivvy and had a go at feeder fishing and looked very adept. Shame the fish didn't oblige. It is good to see female anglers on the bank as fishing is about finesse and skill rather than brute force and ignorance so they are ideally suited.
Is that the top pool at Dunham Mike ,?
I know a couple of good lady anglers , one has been a member of the England Ladies World Championship Team for a number of years.
If you get chance and see ladies playing decent sized carp, they put a lot of so called male carp anglers to shame the way they play and treat the fish.

mikench

Reaction score
It is Mark. There were very few fishing and nobody was on the newer pool which is uninviting imo. I had never seen the lady in question before.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Down the Colne this afternoon when Neil 1970, Couple of hours lure fishing.. good fun and great company, haven’t laughed so much for weeks….View attachment 17556

Waterfowl on the town pit, next to the Colne in town, spot Skippy's speed boat in the background. Lol….

”straight across my baits” says Skippy. Blimey, that’s a long cast, skip… haha,,!

View attachment 17559
I’m fishing the opposite bank as you well know Mr Pavey…..with bite alarms too. Not that I need them, just to annoy the holier than thou set.

flightliner

Reaction score
A tottaly unexpected opportunity came my way today to go fishing when swmbo announced her presence was req'd at a church meeting, seeing the big green light I thanked the man upstairs and shot off into the town centre with a minimal of tackle and bait knowing my time on the river Don was limited to a couple of hours.
I decided to fish a run that I've used numerous times before but have moved on to others that added variety to longer sessions.
With such limited time staying there would be hopefully to my advantage and so it prooved.
First fish to show on my second cast was a brown trout, such crazy fish with their constant somersaulting but afterwards the Greyling began to appear, small eight/nine inch jobs initially but after three or four some impressive examples started to show.
First a pound fish then after a couple of medium ones a couple over a pound then a super example of a 1—4 amongst a few more Trout and Greyling.
This river was as dead as a dodo thirty odd years ago, now its an outstanding example in its upper reaches how they, any river can improve when industry stops polluting them.
All to soon my time was over, a quick call to Nottskev to verify a future visit and I was on my way home.
Two seperate fish in the photos' btw, in my hand is a 14" 1—2,

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_143213.jpg
    IMG_20211018_143213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

Reaction score
Well,I left home at 5.15am,thinking that I would arrive in time for the 'draw' at 5.50am,pulled up at the gate to the car park at 5.45am to see a throng waiting for it,I am sitting at home now,not being bothered with it,that is the third time this season ,i've been bothered to be there at that time,not being bothered with the rat race,add to that it has been relatively quiet so a later start has got a reasonable swim,roll on winter when the fair weather anglers disappear into their burrows,my Octoberfest break in Dorset starts Saturday so I will not be competing for nearly two weeks now....

rayner

Reaction score
Ever one for a slow start I did my normal wait until the streets are aired. Got to the fishery around 9 am. Ground bait feeder with my normal mix for skimmers, a few damp micros that are very small around 0.5 mm pellets if they can be called pellets. worms for chopping, 1/4 pint of dead maggots. For a change a cheap cost for bait.
I did not feed anything before fishing, relying just on my 15grm cage to feed the swim. I decided to cast every ten minutes to start to build my swim slowly rather than fill it in at the start. 1st cast a bite within 6 minutes a carp of course. it took a while to net because of my 0.12 hook length. The first five fish were carp, I don't know if it was my 0.12 or the GB feeder but the carp made a beeline for my dead maggots. The most prevalent thing was how poor my netting is with the fish being close to collapse by the time they're netted.
Then had a thirty-minute spell with no bites my first skimmer was an expected 2lb fish, I changed my feed by feeding more micros and deads mixed in with my GB strait away another carp. back to fewer particles in my feed, I stuck with tiny amounts of micros plus three deads every cast to try to lose the carp which appeared to do the trick. I ended with 9 carp and six bream from 2 lb to 3 lb A decent day for an angler of my dwindling standard. One 0.12 hook length lasted through the day credit to using a soft rod.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon a short session on the Lot produced about 10 barbel and a chub to myself and fishing buddy Alistair.

October 2021.jpg

October 2021 (1).jpg

The upstream barrages had let out a little water and the resulting flow turned the fishing on, between us we had about ten barbel to 5 lbs.

A lovely Autumn afternoon on the river Lot! ?

waldi

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon a short session on the Lot produced about 10 barbel and a chub to myself and fishing buddy Alistair.

View attachment 17591

View attachment 17592

The upstream barrages had let out a little water and the resulting flow turned the fishing on, between us we had about ten barbel to 5 lbs.

A lovely Autumn afternoon on the river Lot! ?
That looks like a great days fishing ?