How did you get on?

nottskev

Reaction score
Well,I left home at 5.15am,thinking that I would arrive in time for the 'draw' at 5.50am,pulled up at the gate to the car park at 5.45am to see a throng waiting for it,I am sitting at home now,not being bothered with it,that is the third time this season ,i've been bothered to be there at that time,not being bothered with the rat race,add to that it has been relatively quiet so a later start has got a reasonable swim,roll on winter when the fair weather anglers disappear into their burrows,my Octoberfest break in Dorset starts Saturday so I will not be competing for nearly two weeks now....

Wow. It's a different world down there. I'm disappointed if there's a car in the car park when I turn up at lunchtime.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Wow. It's a different world down there. I'm disappointed if there's a car in the car park when I turn up at lunchtime.

That’s how I feel too. I’m trying to leave the rat race not rejoin it. I had a mile and a half of the Rother to myself Sunday before last and no anglers on the opposite bank either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
I was back on the river Sunday afternoon. Two swims on the first stretch I tried didn't give me a bite, but since I've lightened off with the gear (and realised the first cast in a barbel swim is the best chance) I chucked it back on the car and drove elsewhere. A bit of a faff, but I was pleased I did, with 3 like this in the next swim

ww.jpg

Bite number 4, and out came a fish so rare I've kind of discounted them from the scene. They were a staple of my early years fishing, so common and so hard to unhook and handle on the bank they were vilified and abused. I wished this little dude all the best. He was lip-hooked, to our mutual relief.

ww1.jpg

Today, I went back to my new place, the big fish lake on the ancient estate. The rules re. rods, lines and hooks, which may change, restrict you to a carp-style approach, but it's such a great place to be - a mile off the road through woodland, past an ancient abbey then a mile further into the back of beyond - that I comply with the rules and try to find a way to fish that's not too carpy. Heavy overnight rain had given way to a fierce warm wind. Keener anglers might have chosen to sit facing it. I went in a corner with it off my back, and even set up a brolly for the first time in ages. From the very little I know, the fish patrol the slopes of this deep ( 14'/15')) , steep-sided lake, and my chosen corner let me fish one "edge" to my right, and another over under the trees.

ww2.jpg

I was hoping the tumultuous weather - the wind was unreal at times - would stimulate the fish. But I only got two bites. One from under the trees on punched meat and a 1oz bomb

ww3.jpg

At one point I sat with keen anticipation for 20 mins after a perfect underarm cast that kissed the trailing branches of the tree. When I reeled in, I was stuck in the tree. To fish the margin to my right, I had a rod with an inch of peacock quill, double rubbered, and a blob of putty heavy enough to sink it, a foot from the hook and set a couple of feet overdepth to fish 6' down the slope. After a long, long wait it buried. It's by the reel in the pic

ww4.jpg

What do you think, Pete? Handsome enough for your fantastic Lincolnshire carp lake?

I'm glad I bought the ticket. I'm not up for needle in a haystack challenges, but I'm enjoying interpreting the fishery's very prescriptive rules without breaking them, and it's a change from bags of smallish fish.

nottskev

Reaction score
Back to the new woodland lake; I've got a feeling the weather is about to take a severe dive, so I'm enjoying every last bit of this mild spell. There was a bloke in the corner swim I fished yesterday. I said hello as I walked by. He had a cosy little shelter set up and everything was matched and colour coordinated. I noticed his slightly disdainful glance at my lack of such - seatbox, quiver with assorted items sticking out and bucket - so when he told me (it was his third utterance iirc) he'd had a 37 1/2 pounder at another water he fishes, I made no comment.

An ever-freshening west wind was bending the trees, so I opted for comfort and the opposite corner of the lake. Even if a lot of the fish are over by the bank getting the sun and the warmish wind, I didn't want to sit there! I had the same gear set up from yesterday - a bomb rod and a float rod, and the bomb went over to the red bush in the pic, and the float down the side of the trees to my right. set to fish halfway down the slope..

wd1.jpg

The wind blew, the trees thrashed, it rained a bit, the dude in the corner packed up and went. During the afternoon, the strong west wind abruptly changed to a north wind which blew the rafts of leaves from one side of the lake to the other. By the time I was packing up, around 5.30, it was still, cold and the sky clear. The highlight of the day was this

wd.jpg

I don't bump into ide often, so I know very little about them. I think it's probably as big as any I've had, but they seem oddly variable. Some are handsome, built like hefty chub, others have this breamy look and weird mouths.

mikench

Reaction score
Well I loaded the car with my Honda Blower and set off to my lawnmower man to request a cure. By coincidence he operates about half way to my favourite fishery and , as my gear was in the car ,I thought it was foolish not to go for a few hours despite the cooler weather. There were four blokes already there when I arrived at 10. I set up my feeder rod.
IMG_1337.JPG

It was chilly in the breeze blowing left to right but I've endured far worse. My Peacock hand warmer started first time unlike the blower and I had enough clothes in the car to wrap up warm. Fishing was slow but I managed 3 common which could have been the same fish( doubtful) all around 4lb and a couple of skimmers. It went quiet around 1.00 pm and I had one last cast with a Cell pellet and micros with ground hemp which resulted in a nice roach around a 1lb, one further last cast produced this roach which I weighed at 1lb 4 oz.
IMG_1339.JPG

My trusty Dinesmores landing net which cost 10 quid 3 years ago finally fell apart so I shall order another for the same price from Amazon. It's a 60cm net and has had some use so great value. It was an enjoyable few hours and scratched an itch.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual fishery now I’ve recovered from this chest infection which I’ve had for weeks, caught a few silvers and a tench on pole, but hard going, bright sunshine all day which never helps here, then switched to the margin for carp about three pm.

I lost one and then hooked another which gave me a good scrap, 15 pounds and 1 ounce common, pole handled it well, surprised how far it stretched the size 19 dura slip, my favourite elastic this, nice fish as well.
ED4131AD-745D-40CF-988F-1F931D916F28.jpeg

76610500-640A-4EC7-B92C-EE05A04E7C0B.jpeg

Also discovered Neil is useless with a camera.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Back on usual fishery now I’ve recovered from this chest infection which I’ve had for weeks, caught a few silvers and a tench on pole, but hard going, bright sunshine all day which never helps here, then switched to the margin for carp about three pm.

I lost one and then hooked another which gave me a good scrap, 15 pounds and 1 ounce common, pole handled it well, surprised how far it stretched the size 19 dura slip, my favourite elastic this, nice fish as well.
View attachment 17644
View attachment 17645
Also discovered Neil is useless with a camera.
Do you prefer the Dura slip to 17h and also
Slip solid 16 or map blue solid 18. ?
Not tried Dura slip, have tried the others and find they do the job.
Tried Drennan bungee in 14 and 16/18 it stretches to much.size 6 bungee is fine for open waters for tench,F1 and bream.

seth49

Reaction score
I prefer this hybrid elastic to hollow, more control as it doesn’t stretch as much as hollow, and it powers up quicker, it’s the best I’ve tried, and it’s not expensive either.

mikench

Reaction score
Youngest dotter was coming round today to talk babies with Er indoors and I gained the distinct impression they fancied some time to themselves. All I said was I might go fishing to an immediate response of what a good idea. I can still take a hint. On arrival at the usual I met up with the bailiff who I know well. After a 20 minute chat he promptly set of and picked my favourite peg. It turned out he blanked and I had a good time on a peg on the adjacent side.

IMG_1351.JPG

I started on the feeder to no avail so switched to the float and had 34 assorted skimmers, roach and Rudd. Most were swingers but half a dozen were netters . I swapped to the feeder regularly but no joy until the last 20 Minutes when I had a couple of skimmers and this mirror.

IMG_1353.JPG

It was a clonker and weighed just under fourteen pounds. My biggest carp from this fishery. An enjoyable day all round.

nottskev

Reaction score
Back on the river for a couple of hours this afternoon. I was kitted out for the blustery wind - neckwarmer (walking gear shops call these "buffs", Where did that word come from?), sweatbands on wrists because my arms are always longer than sleeves, tight-fitting cap instead of the usual bucket hat. At least it didn't rain. I fished a few pegs (I'm quite the rover these days) with nearside features, and had barbel in each. This was the biggest of the three. It's a miracle the pic's not blurred. One of those swims where there is no flat bit and everything, especially barbel on a wet mat, slips and slides

wm.jpg

After fishing two very restrictive precipitous swims, I was happy to move to one where you could actually see out and stand up without holding on to something. The downside was the lack of barbel. There was obviously at least one chub in the swim, and things narrowed down to a contest between me and this chub. Every fresh cast, new baits were investigated, old ones ignored, the bait was poked, pulled, prodded ...... all without a bite you could strike, as the chub whittled away at the punched meat on the hook without giving me a chance . I imagined a big old chub, and stayed in the game, trying to get a proper bite.. When it finally did slip up, it wasn't quite what I had in mind

wm1.jpg

Oh well.

john step

Reaction score
Club match today. Teams of 5. Carp men V OAPs V matchmen. I represented the carpmen although I qualify for the oaps as do most of us.
Carpmen won and I won a few quid in what was an absolute grueler.
Used my "new" seatbox curtesy of Simon and had a comfy time with no leg collapses! Thanks again Simon.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
After two visits to the local reservoir getting only small perch and another blank at the big reservoir,the bigger one woke up yesterday morning - fish turning,perch striking along the base of the dam.Casting a silver mepps no.4 into the melee had a perch of about 8oz. Using white curly tail grubs and the mepps caught a few more smaller perch before it went quiet.
Moving along the base of the dam eventually found them again and the mornings best was a perch of 1lb 14oz but pike kept grabbing them then letting go. A pike of around 15lb followed the mepps to within about three feet of the dam before turning away.
The perch shoal moved further out into much deeper water but unable to contact any more and the wind getting up and blowing across the face of the dam it was time to go.

nottskev

Reaction score
With the football set to record and the dinner cooked by 10 am ( 6 days' worth of batch cooked sausage casserole with chick peas, red peppers and mushrooms, plus chicken casserole with carrots, parsnips, potatoes and green lentils. Wrong thread? Sorry.) I was free to fish in the afternoon. The new woodland lake was empty, as usual, but it was another windy day with a lot more rain than they forecast so again I chose the most sheltered swim over the more likely ones.

It was another of those days where you don't get a bite til the light is beginning to go, in this case around 5 pm. Perhaps I should just turn up at 4.45pm and do something else with the other four hours. I set up the same as previous visits - a rudimentary inline lead/shortish braid hooklength fished out, and - much my preferred method - the peacock dibber fished 5' deep down the near slope under a tree. I got one bite on each. The 2oz lead turned up my first barbel from the water. I hadn't caught one in the previous three visits, so I was pleased with that.

Sb.jpg

I've got mixed feelings about stillwater barbel. But they don't stop me trying to catch one. I have to say it was in good nick and didn't look anyway malnourished. But is it just me , or does that droopy tail and the facial expression say, get me out of here, I'm a barbel?

I wasn't at all sure when I handed over the money for the ticket that I would actually enjoy it, with the many rules and restrictions, but the risk is paying off, and the fact that the steep slopes of the margins are a good place to catch opens up a weird but enjoyable mix of heavy line and strong rod and a flat float/overdepth canal method.

Which accounted for the second bite and this carp, which fairly shot under the tree and down the nearside when hooked, suggesting that whatever is wrong with its tail isn't, or isn't yet, slowing it down any.

Sb1.jpg

Sb2.jpg

Fishing. It's like waiting for a bus sometimes. Wait for ages then two come.