How full to fill a centrepin?

nottskev

Reaction score
I "level wind" the line on when spooling up, by waggling the line side to side with my finger. It would irritate me to load it on unevenly. But after that it seems to sort itself out pretty well under actual fishing. If I don't like the look of it, I'll sort it as Chris said above. It may be hard to quantify the difference it makes. But things that look right usually are, I find.

Aknib

Reaction score
I load mine way over what i've seen and read that some advocate.

I can't see the point of hooking a good fish and running the risk of losing it due to running out of line and I would have been there a few times had I not. Yes it beds in under the tension of playing a good fish but just hand strip the line on your next run through and you're back to pukka, it will sit nice and freely once you've retrieved again.

It's convenient too, no faffing about re-loading line every few outings. I'm not a line tart as such, preferring a good all rounder that will do several things as opposed to the best for this, the best for that etc. and my pins have had the same line on for over four years now and I still have 100% confidence in the line with no inclination to change it whatsoever.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer to use about 60 yards of the chosen attached to about 40 yards of a stronger backing line.

That way I feel that I maintain control if a larger fish tears off downstream.

I also only tend to use my centrepins for trotting rather than for close in work for barbel or carp.