How much filler is acceptable on a £220 float rod?

kingf000

Reaction score
I've also used cork dust and PVA as filler. It is less dense than the plastic wood fillers. I don't know if it makes any difference but as the rod handle is exposed to water, I've used the waterproof PVA rather than the bod standard school glue

kingf000

Reaction score
Still a lot of money, and only 2ft long, as it is not an expensive rod, two part whole cane with a split cane tip spliced in I don't want to spend a lot of money so, I am cheating today, bought some shrink tube for £4 off ebay, arrived this morning and going to cover it with that, not ideal but if I really like the rod I will then consider replacing with some nice cork but it is not a top notch rod, just something I think I might like using in the future.
I experimented first with a cheese grater, some old wine corks and filling the residue into the bigger gaps with super glue and then sanding down, not really happy with the result, finer dust might have been better as Seth suggested, anyway going to cover with shrink tube now, whip some rings on and see how it goes.
Still think you have made some good points about the filler, most of us would never think to look before, well, certainly not me so I will keep an eye out for it if I buy a new rod.
Interesting to see how the shrink wrap works and how it feels. You can get a 40cm duplon grip for fairly cheap:

or the whole duplon handle and reel seat for just under £10

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have seen some of this on ebay but I wanted to keep the original sliding rings, I am going to butcher the rod a bit, ferrules sprayed mat black, shrink tube for the rings but I sort of like the old sliding brass reel rings.. The large shrink tube I bought for the handle was too big, I got my mm wrong but it may come in useful for something else. I have now committed the ultimate sacrilege and sprayed the handle matt black, nothing lost, if I actually really like the rod which I wont know until I try it out, I will then splash out and fit a nice cork handle. Just don't want to do that yet just in case it gets binned.

kingf000

Reaction score
I have seen some of this on ebay but I wanted to keep the original sliding rings, I am going to butcher the rod a bit, ferrules sprayed mat black, shrink tube for the rings but I sort of like the old sliding brass reel rings.. The large shrink tube I bought for the handle was too big, I got my mm wrong but it may come in useful for something else. I have now committed the ultimate sacrilege and sprayed the handle matt black, nothing lost, if I actually really like the rod which I wont know until I try it out, I will then splash out and fit a nice cork handle. Just don't want to do that yet just in case it gets binned.
Depending upon the diameter of the rings, have you though about wine corks? They are usually around 25mm in diameter. I've used them with reel rings on a fly rod handle!

kingf000

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean, can you explain a bit more.
If the internal diameter of your old sliding brass reel rings is around 23-25mm, then you can use wine corks for the cork handle. Drill a hole through the middle and slide them onto the rod butt. I also used the thicker end of champagne corks for the top and bottom of the handle to stop the rings from falling off. I had around 50 corks from my wine making days and could select out the better quality ones.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If the internal diameter of your old sliding brass reel rings is around 23-25mm, then you can use wine corks for the cork handle. Drill a hole through the middle and slide them onto the rod butt. I also used the thicker end of champagne corks for the top and bottom of the handle to stop the rings from falling off. I had around 50 corks from my wine making days and could select out the better quality ones.
Interesting, I will have a look/think/calculate that. However I have no means of drilling the wine corks but maybe I can find someone who could. Shouldn't be a problem scrounging the wine corks. Thanks. I am going to put rings/whippings on soon, waiting for a delivery and give the rod a try out, then if it is a keeper I will decide what to do then. cheers and best regards.

PS-Just had a quick look on ebay, wine corks for sale in multiples, I will look into it once I decide what to do with the rod,

Last edited: