How to - Making Pike Traces

Barney 2

Reaction score
How's that for timing - I have been planning to make some tonight for the weekend. Thanks Jeff!

What advantages does the coated wire give over, say, Drennan soft strand for traces?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
What advantages does the coated wire give over, say, Drennan soft strand for traces?
Depends what you're using it for, snap traces or lure traces?

For lure traces I use Soft Strand myself for perch fishing, 12-15lbs, and just hope that any pike I might hook will be small jacks.

For larger fish and bigger lures, stronger rods, I like the coated wires Drennan Green (but it's only 20 and 28lbs), Savagear Softflex wire (30lbs), and then Bleading Trace Wire (in 45lbs). I've also tried Fox Carboflex, Ok, but wants to always spring apart.

For snap traces, anything will do almost, but just plain bare wire such as Prowla or Nash will do the job. More important is to use the right size crimps and crimping pliers.

Hope this helps.

Barney 2

Reaction score
I have been using lure traces of Soft Strand 20lb, and Snap of Seven Strand 28lb.

I take your point of making them correctly, I only started making my own after having a shop bought lure trace pull out of the crimp (in a bush! thankfully!) and on another occasion a friend had his shop bought snap tackle inexplicably break on him.

I wondered if the coated wire had a more neutral bouancy for smaller spinners & plugs for Perch. The Pike are always around though, so a trace is a must.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Beauty about making your own is if it goes wrong, you can only blame yourself.

I wondered if the coated wire had a more neutral bouancy for smaller spinners & plugs for Perch.
Not that I've found. It usually sinks for me, but it's counterbalanced by the floating braid I use lifting it back up again. I've tried ideas around that before, but nothing has as yet worked.

Barney 2

Reaction score
Quite! LOL!

I am also using braid - whiplash pro in 30lb which I find really good, but let me know if you find a solution to the sinking thing, especially as where I spin is mostly wide, shallow and very snaggy!

Anyways - thanks WW