If money was no object

will spencer

Reaction score
no blanker i'm not a lottery winner.i work hard and get paid a very good salary.not a gloat tho.
reason i put the technium bomb and super x gtm is i have these rods already.in my mind the best light quiver rod made,and,sadly i think not enough light rods are made these days,most anglers are opting for the power waggler rods or the ultra extra haevy feeder rods designed for the small man made commercials.what happened to the finesse?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
no blanker i'm not a lottery winner.i work hard and get paid a very good salary.not a gloat tho.
reason i put the technium bomb and super x gtm is i have these rods already.in my mind the best light quiver rod made,and,sadly i think not enough light rods are made these days,most anglers are opting for the power waggler rods or the ultra extra haevy feeder rods designed for the small man made commercials.what happened to the finesse?

totaly agree

I have a 10ft light quiver rod - paid less than £25 for it and it one of my favourite rods

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks, Fred, you've stopped me feeling unfulfilled.
I briefly had a "Super" Wizard that left me feling the same - all those agate rings made it floppy and horrible, and that nasty handle! On the train back from Reading, I discovered I'd left it on the bank of the Holy Brook. So uninspiring a rod was it that I kicked myself gently and stayed on the train.
If it had been my Avon Perfection, that would have been a different story.
B. James also made a "Kennet Perfection", didn't they? P'raps I'll try one of those instead.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Thanks, Fred, you've stopped me feeling unfulfilled.
I briefly had a "Super" Wizard that left me feling the same - all those agate rings made it floppy and horrible, and that nasty handle! On the train back from Reading, I discovered I'd left it on the bank of the Holy Brook. So uninspiring a rod was it that I kicked myself gently and stayed on the train.
If it had been my Avon Perfection, that would have been a different story.
B. James also made a "Kennet Perfection", didn't they? P'raps I'll try one of those instead.

I quite like the short handle on the Wizard! However, the longer handle of the Avocet was one of its better points...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Someone ought to put together a book of all this stuff..

I wonder which old reel would match my Olivers of Knebworth 11' fast-taper glass rod(honey coloured blank with red whippings every 1/2")from the late 70's.The full cork handle 30" long needs,and deserves something special.....

Fred Blake

Reaction score

I wonder which old reel would match my Olivers of Knebworth 11' fast-taper glass rod(honey coloured blank with red whippings every 1/2")from the late 70's.The full cork handle 30" long needs,and deserves something special.....

Technically any of the original Mitchells would suit it, but I guess something like a dark blue 410 or a high speed 810 would be the reel of choice, stylistically-speaking. Throw in a green-meshed Efgeeco Apex, a four pound chub and lay them out on the grass and you'd have the perfect 'Angling' magazine cover shot.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Cee

Technically any of the original Mitchells would suit it, but I guess something like a dark blue 410 or a high speed 810 would be the reel of choice, stylistically-speaking. Throw in a green-meshed Efgeeco Apex, a four pound chub and lay them out on the grass and you'd have the perfect 'Angling' magazine cover shot.

Ha,ha, and I thought I could be a bit of a tart. You guys have just taken it to a whole new level.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

The perfect Angling cover shot is November 1974 which has two gorgeous 2lb+ roach plus a Hardy 'pin and B&W glass rod on a bed of brown rushes. Far better than a chub;)

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i already have a rod and reel too suit the fishing i do ,so if money was no object ,i might be tempted too buy a few more of my favourite rod ,just in case i step on it ,or slam the car boot on it ,or accidently cast out with the line rapped around the tip and thereby snap the tip ,hell i'd better buy what stock was left of them just in case .

i've enough reels already ,but again i might be tempted too get spare ones ,just in case i'd forgotten too make sure the reel was secure on the rod and it falls of into the river ,or i throw it there in a pinkfit at the umpteenth tangle i've had .

on second thoughts i'd probably just buy the river trent ,erect a security fence along its entire length (both sides) then just fish it all too myself .

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I have another MkIV made and signed by a Surrey tackle dealer, which is sublime. I paid just forty quid for it a few years back, when B James rods were fetching three hundred.

That wouldn't be Rob Kirk, would it, Fred? I have one of his MkIVs and it knocks any B James MkIV into a cocked hat!

chubby48

Reaction score
money

if money was no object i could really do the buisness at car boots-----lol

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I'd be on the phone to Dave Lumb PDQ and have him make me a matching pair of Harrison Chimera IIs. Then a nice deadbait pike rod. Then I'd be stuck?

dezza

Reaction score
If money was no object I would buy a Roller complete with a "man" who would drive me everywhere in it.

My "man" would also carry my gear 5 miles up the Trent bank, remove any undesirables from the swim I wanted to fish, and do all the pre-baiting and groundbaiting.

Having the right man is vital to a good fishing lifestyle.

Having the right woman is vital to a good home lifestyle.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Reminds me of one of those Victorian gentlemen who used to catch large barbel in the Thames. Had his 'man' go and throw buckets of lobs into his swim for the week before he fished! Maybe be the way to go....