Im back !

Matt86

Reaction score
After a few year break from the hobby, a break down of a relationship and a house move and general life getting in the way .
I have returned and intending to carry on fishing again. Unfortunately I sold of alot of my more expensive tackle off .

Have all my bags with terminal tackle , rig boxes etc, I have 2 barbel rods for gravel pit tenching and a 10 ft korum 1.1lb quiver tip rod . Only 1 reel left , a shimano x aero 4000 fa . Net , net handle etc .

Sold all my overnight gear and bigger carp gear off and various float and feeder rods .

I am thinking to get back into tench fishing on a local small club match lake with smaller carp and once season opens Buscot Park near Lechlade after some of their carp in the margins and days on a small pit near Lechlade after tench.

Matt86

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention before the forum changed my name was associated matt, but had a issue when moved over few years ago now.

Matt86

Reaction score
@Matt86 is Buscot park the National Trust place ,?
If so is it day ticket ?
Lechlade is not far from Oxford
Yes it is but closed at the moment, took me a good few sessions to figure out how to fish it unless you want to catch bream .

I'm from Shrivenham so near Faringdon and fished this area most my life on and off .

If you like to try any different places give me a shout

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Same goes for you, there are some good places around Oxford .One club I am in is I think £8 a year to fish a good couple of stretches of the Thames and the Oxford canal .That's blue badge/oap rate . Non blue badge/oap rate is £14 I think .
I don't mind catching bream as long as they are a decent size,

Matt86

Reaction score
Same goes for you, there are some good places around Oxford .One club I am in is I think £8 a year to fish a good couple of stretches of the Thames and the Oxford canal .That's blue badge/oap rate . Non blue badge/oap rate is £14 I think .
I don't mind catching bream as long as they are a decent size,
Thank you.

I'm more of a small gravel pit Estate late fisherman. I avoid commercials if I can help it , not done much river fishing but want to go ledgering for some chub.

Mainly large skimmers and small bream in there . Plenty of silvers though

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thank you.

I'm more of a small gravel pit Estate late fisherman. I avoid commercials if I can help it , not done much river fishing but want to go ledgering for some chub.

Mainly large skimmers and small bream in there . Plenty of silvers though
I am in a club called Newlands , 4 large gravel pits on the Linear complex,
I think they still do guest tickets ,

Matt86

Reaction score
I am in a club called Newlands , 4 large gravel pits on the Linear complex,
I think they still do guest tickets ,
Yes I know of it been there to look around before but from what I saw too many carpers and I fish at weekends so wouldn't get in much at the weekends . Is it still the same ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yes I know of it been there to look around before but from what I saw too many carpers and I fish at weekends so wouldn't get in much at the weekends . Is it still the same ?
You may have looked at the specimen lake, Surmans and Bents are fine , you get the odd one who will go after the carp , but mainly it's pellet Waggler and feeder fishing or as I do in the margins .
Across the road is the lagoon, a few carpets on there but plenty of room for us ordinary fishermen .
It's a good feeder water.

Matt86

Reaction score
You may have looked at the specimen lake, Surmans and Bents are fine , you get the odd one who will go after the carp , but mainly it's pellet Waggler and feeder fishing or as I do in the margins .
Across the road is the lagoon, a few carpets on there but plenty of room for us ordinary fishermen .
It's a good feeder water.
So what would you say is the best tench lake they own and I take it there are fenced off now ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yep all otter fenced on the 3 lake site,
I had a 6.8lb tench from the margin last year, it put up a better fight than the low double carp I caught just prior to it .
There are bigger tench in there .
This was on Surmans lake .

Matt86

Reaction score
Yep all otter fenced on the 3 lake site,
I had a 6.8lb tench from the margin last year, it put up a better fight than the low double carp I caught just prior to it .
There are bigger tench in there .
This was on Surmans lake .
So as you go down the road before you turn off to the right where I think St John's or Hardwick is the speci lake where a small hut is . Before you turn is that Bents?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
As you turn off the main road signposted sailing club , Newlands and a couple of linear waters ,Go past the large water on your left which is the sailing club , the one on the right behind the trees is Hardwick holiday lake .
The sailing club has a gate on the road , but the road does a right dog leg again past Hardwick lake, a few hundred yards on the right is turning for Newlands . There is a big sign at the turning.
Go through the gate making sure you close it behind you .
The speci lake is on your left , at the bottom is a small parking area for Surmans lake, just before there is a left turn that runs along another side of speci lake and Surmans on the right .
At the top is a parking area, and a toilet block is on your right .
Go through at side of toilet block, Pegs one and two for Surmans are on your right opposite the gap in the island and left bank .
If you turn left when go through side of toilet block that will put you on Bents , the good pegs I am told are part way down and also near the top end on the left .
I have been told the bottom of Bents can be rocky in places.
The lagoon is opposite the turning where you come in off main road , to access that you need a code for the combination lock on the barrier .
No lock on gate to Surmans etc .