Info re Normark Titans?

peterjg

Reaction score
I recently bought a second-hand 13-14ft Normark Titan II float rod, it wasn't expensive and I'm very pleased with it. Out of interest what is the difference between that and a Normark Titan 2000?

mikench

Reaction score
I have the latter. It’s supposed to be a superior version with improved characteristics but I wouldn’t know. I also have a Titan 2 and an Avenger 2. All lovely rods. Mine are all 13’.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Mikench, thanks for your reply. I used it for the first time this morning on the Kennet trotting punched bread and wheat. The rod felt really nice, I caught only a few small roach but thoroughly enjoyed it - before the heat was too much.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Normark and the later owners of the brand, Masterline, really confused things. There are actually three different types of "MKII" labelled Normark rods. Some of the earliest versions of the Microlite/Titan/Avenger (sliding bands, double legged guides etc) had versions which were labelled as MKIIs. These rods pre-dated the much lauded Team 2000 rods. After the Team 2000s (and 1000/3000s) came another MKII rod. These were all 13'ers. There's some debate as to whether these models were pre/post Masterline buying the brand. It's possible that they were both pre and post Masterline. Many believe that these rods were built on the Diamura blanks that were made famous by the Team 2000 models (though they aren't exactly the same being lighter and slimmer). The next MKII rods were definitely post Masterline. They were the 13-14' models which also came in a zipped Cordura tube.

I would suggest that the Normark aficionados tend to prize the Team 2000 (and 1000/3000) more highly than other models. The 2000s are the ones that consistently achieve the highest prices on the auction site. The 13-14' MkIIs are arguably the least popular. However, I know that @Mark Wintle is a fan of his. I like the predecessor MKII rods, as does a former member of this parish.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Thanks Mikench and Sam for your replies and info.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The original Microlite, Titan, Avenger series and the subsequent Microlite, Titan, Avenger 2000 series (probably the 3000s as well) were all designed by or had input from Geoff Salisbury before he went on to design the Carbotec range, the later Mk II 13-14s were made in China not Japan and are very different rods. I like the Mk II Microlite 13-14 that I have as it's a versatile very light actioned rod. Whether the Titan Mk II 13-14 you have is any good I can't say; I've seen them but not fished with one but if it's a light, forgiving rod that you enjoy using then do just that. I have had my Titan 2000 for over 30 years and it's still a rod I use a lot together with an Avenger 2000 that now looks battered.

One Normark rod to avoid, in my opinion, is the Crusader series.

An under-rated but cheap (the blank is much cheaper than other Normarks) is the Vantage Super Match which is a very nice general float rod with a lovely action. I sold mine on for what I paid for it as I have enough rods!

barbelboi

Reaction score
As Mark says the 2000s were produced by the original Normark crew with blanks from the Diamaru factory in Japan and are exceptionally good rods. I also have the original 2000 titan (12’) bought new in the late 1990s and still in first class condition and used regularly.

I believe, but am not 100% sure, there was a change in management in Japan and the price of the blanks rocketed. They were already a luxury commodity at the time and with the price hike production stopped as they were no longer economically viable to produce.

peterjg

Reaction score
Mark Wintle and Barbelboi, many thanks for your replies and info. I've used it a couple of times now and am really pleased with it. At 14ft it's heavier than my 14ft Acolyte Ultra but the action is very similar. It feels much better at 13ft it is light and is not too tippy. I like the fact that the one foot dolly can be added without having to break the rod down if I decide to lay-on. It's a keeper and another option to use.

Fat Minnow

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and not sure if this is the right thread for my question, apologies if it’s not. I recently acquired a couple of Normark rods but can’t find any info on them. I would like to understand how they fish so I can work out when and where to use them. One is a Kunman and the other a Conquest. I realise they are not the 2000 range and possibly therefore not as revered, but after watching Mark Wintle comments on Normark rods on u tube was inspired to try them without spending too much money. Thankful for any comments.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Others on here are far better placed to advise you on your Normarks than I, but welcome to FM!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Kunnan were a cheap brand that was sold by Normark but not a patch on any of the true Normarks. I haven't heard of the Conquest model/brand but a quick search on't net reveals what is either a glass rod or a low carbon composite.

If you want a good Normark float rod at a sensible price then original Normark Titan or Avenger models, Nova, or Vantage Super Match (one on ebay at present, not my sale) are the ones to look out for.

Reiterate - AVOID the Crusader series!

Last edited:

Fat Minnow

Reaction score
Ok thanks Mark, I should have done my research before buying. Still they were little money so no big deal. I really
enjoy your U Tube Channel, as I am local to the area it is a great help. Hope to meet you on the bank one day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Kunnan were a cheap brand that was sold by Normark but not a patch on any of the true Normarks. I haven't heard of the Conquest model/brand but a quick search on't net reveals what is either a glass rod or a low carbon composite.

If you want a good Normark float rod at a sensible price then original Normark Titan or Avenger models, Nova, or Vantage Super Match (one on ebay at present, not my sale) are the ones to look out for.

Reiterate - AVOID the Crusader series!
Weren't some Sundridge rods made on Kunnan blanks . Possibly the Kevin Ashurst Supreme ,?