John Wilson travel rod confusion

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a travel rod of about 11ft 1.25lb TC, as something I can keep out of sight in the boot of the car for ad hoc use.

Angling Direct do a John Wilson Avon, but there also appears to be a signature model. Plus, they seems to be, or have been, made by Masterline and Rovex... I don't know anything about these rods, or the makers. (I've heard of JW, obviously.)

Can anyone unlock the mysteries of which one is best? Or advise if they think there is something better out there for under £100.00. I'd be using it for everything 'sub-barbel'.

These are what I've seen online:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd opt for the Masterline version as they have made some pretty decent rods under the "Wilson" badge . . . .

I know little or nothing about Rovex other than they are Austraiian and retail under the brand of "Jarvis Walker."

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I'd agree with Peter I've had the 11/13 ft 1.25 tc (green) for nearly 20 years. At 11 ft it's a really good small river chub, perch rod. Even had a few barbel on it to near doubles.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Angling Direct (AD) tell me that Masterline have gone out of business and their John Wilson rods are supplied by Elite International Partners Ltd. Did a search for them, but can't find what brands they own.

Masterline Walker appears to be the new business name of Masterline in a joint venture between Masterline International (Tewkesbury) and Jarvis Walker (Australia). The Rovex brand is a Masterline Walker brand, which appears to have replaced the Masterline brand.

Still with me?

When you visit the Masterline Walker website it automatically redirects you to JW Young & Sons. In addition to their famous reels, JW Young also do rods, but they are not on their website. Lord knows who makes those!

It would appear that a current John Wilson Rovex-made rod is effectively a Masterline rod, but I'm none the wiser about the true origin of ADs John Wilson travel rod... and I'm not convinced that ADs employees have a clue.

Talk about smoke and mirrors. :)

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I wonder what the contractual terms were between Wilson and Masterline and if he gave (.e. sold) them his brand name in perpetuity?

Well, I assume/hope his family or ex-business partners are clued up. To be fair, in a few years time the name won't mean much to young fishermen - there are hundreds of influencer/fishermen these days, but none with anything like celebrity status (although I'd clean Martin Bowler's boots if he asked me) and the brands seem to have multiplied since I was a kid, mostly it seems on the back of carp fishing. Hard for any individual to stand out... apart from Paul and Bob (I won't mention R*bs*n Gr33n). I might be wrong on all this, being new to coarse fishering.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Masterline - Walker (Jarvis Walker amalgamated with Masterline) closed their Tewkesbury distribution centre in 2020.
https://www.facebook.com/tackleguns...-its-uk-distribution-effect/3285477398186320/

Liquidators for the UK company were appointed in September 2021.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3885296

J.W. Young was a Masterline brand until that collapse. It was bought by one of the few (only?) actual J.W. Young employees. Asking the current incarnation of J.W. Young about rods is likely to be pointless, but you never know. I suspect that JW Young won't have had any involvement in the rods that wore the JW Young name. It's also worth noting that the JW Young John Wilson Heritage reel is now known as the James Young Heritage.

The Angling Direct John Wilson rods may well be made in the same factory as the Masterline and/or Rovex rods. However, getting that confirmed (either way) will be nigh on impossible.

The bad one

Reaction score
Might be worth sending Martin Bowler a pm/email as Martin is JWs nephew and would probably know who bought what when.

The bad one

Reaction score
You could try Kurum Allrounder rod. They do an 11ft 1.25 test. Not that expensive around £55 each. They have quite a good rep amongst the Ribble anglers who are after reasonable bargain rods.

The bad one

Reaction score
Not that I know of Ian. In one of JWs videos he's goes fishing with MB and says he's going fishing with his nephew. I'll check with Mike Heylin first Chair of Angling Trust who made both of them Ambassadors of the Trust in the early days of it.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
By all means check if there's a family lineage, but I won't be bothering Martin Bowler with this. I'm sure he's got better things to do.

john step

Reaction score
If I wanted a travel rod I would just go to AD and have a look? If it feels and looks right then it will most likely be right.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
You don't ask, you don't find things out mate! These so-called celebs anglers and I know and have known a few down the years are very approachable.

I'm asking here. 😉 But I think we've now established (above) who bought what and roughly when, so that part of the puzzle is done.

If I wanted a travel rod I would just go to AD and have a look? If it feels and looks right then it will most likely be right.

I didn't realise they had stores. Nearest to me is Redditch... I think I'd rather buy online and pay to return it than have to go to Redditch! 😆 Joking aside, with free delivery, it'll probably be cheaper than the fuel, even if I have to pay to return the rod.

Philip

Reaction score
Take a look at the Abu diplomat range of travel rods before you make your final choice.

Quite nice rods in your budget.

Philip

Reaction score
I have the 11foot 6 , five piece rod and while its labelled as "spinning" it a nice all round rod. Probably a bit heavier than a 1.25tc avon however. Some of the other models are labelled lighter.