Keep nets, who carries one these days?

Philip

Reaction score
And that was on a water barely more than 18" deep Philip, this entire conversation went through my head at the time of fishing especially as I noticed that practically every fish headed back out in the direction of the shoal regardless of which way I initially pointed it.

I've heard it said that Perch can also be disruptive and I've caught the same fish in a session on several occasions.

And yes...

I did count it twice! :D

When I saw the photos of your kit on the landing stage it literally was the first thing I noticed..I thought hang on no keep net ...was he putting them all straight back in ?

Its funny isnt it we have a real mixed bag of opinions on the subject from some very experienced anglers on this thread. I was hoping there would be a real swing one way or the other as I have never been able to make my mind up on it ..hence why I have sort of gone down the compromise route of a small lightweight net but even then I only take it if I know I am in a swim where I am going to be wading through numbers in the hope of a biggie.

Mind you sometimes I do think its wishful thinking when I am struggling for a bite from even 1 fish let alone bagging a netful :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
On the odd occasion I have a very good day with sizeable roach, I do sometimes wonder if I should just pop a keep net I to the car, on the off chance that the bag could include something exceptional, but then common sense takes over and I stick with the large, second landing net with fixed handle (which sits in the bag) and this makes a temporary keep net.
Once the odd pic has been taken, back the fish go.

I'm not too sure if it makes a difference but I also put fish back away from the swim I'm fishing. I can recall an old boy telling me years ago that returned fish will disturb others and this has stuck with me - right or wrong!

carpinbob

Reaction score
Bought one a few years ago still stuck in the shed,keep forgetting to take it with me.
The club I'm at the moment has a rule no fish over 2lb n keepnets.

theartist

Reaction score
Do you think keepnets damage fish? I think I know the answer having a couple of identical venues, one where nets are allowed and one where they're not.

terry m

Reaction score
I simply don't get the need for keepnets outside of match fishing.

As to the question as to whether keepnets damage fish? Well, one thing is for sure, they do not enhance the health of fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think keepnets damage fish? I think I know the answer having a couple of identical venues, one where nets are allowed and one where they're not.

Personally I don't think that a fish in a keep net for a short length of time is going to be harmful to the fsh.

As I said before, a well sited and properly staked out keep net does little or no damage to the majority of fish.

Carp and Barbel have been kept overnight in sacks for many years in order to have photos taken in daylight.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Carl and Barbel have been kept overnight in sacks for many years in order to have photos taken in daylight.

I reckon Carl could have pressed charges for that or even kidnap:eek: :eek:mg:.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I've never put a barbel in a net - bit confused why this topic is in the "Barbel" section.

But I like to use a keepnet for catches of small to medium-sized fish when I'm intending to fish one swim for 4 or 5 hours. My reasons are obscure, even to myself, but I like to amass a catch and I feel undressed without a net when fishing like that.

I'm aware that there is “no need”. But of course there is no need to catch fish for sport or pleasure in the first place. We all of us, I'd guess, on here, fish for the pleasures, challenges, satisfaction, feelings of wellbeing....... So “need” isn't the criterion.

Keepnets may be harmful, (although I'm not sure how people can be certain about that in general, as opposed to in particular instances) so not using one at least reduces the harm we do in pursuing our sport. Fair enough, there's something in that. But keepnets are like lots of things in angling – they can be used well or badly, and that's down to the angler not the net. (I m feeling uncomfortably close to the Americans who argue “Guns don't kill; people do”, but I think I'm on better ground!)

I dislike it when, as has happened, I inquire at a fishery whether I can use a net, and I'm treated as if I'd asked if I can club their fish on the head and eat them. “Keepnets allowed only in matches”, is the rule, meaning match anglers can cram a huge amount of carp in a net on a hot afternoon in August, but I can't put a relatively modest catch of roach in one in December, when all the issues about overcrowding, oxygen, crushing etc are of far less relevance.

Nobody wants to condone practices which damage fish. But I like to be free to make my own decisions about how to fish. If all the practices which CAN be abused are banned, we'll find there's not much we can actually do. Wow. That sounds pompous. Never mind, that's what I think.

Reaction score
This is basically not really what should be in the barbel section as Kev says above,in my opinion nets are ok for many species for limited times,but in general for barbel over a certain size definitely not...

Reaction score
Barbel are imo not a keepnet friendly species,often knackered after the fight,fish of up to 3-4lbs seem to be strong,above this they seem stressed,bigger barbel are long fish,making them harder to turn in the net,wide too,with their pec's increasing this effect,a 12lbs plus fish is a long fish and it cannot do itself any good imo,stress,exhaustion,the other species normally seeing keepnets used don't appear at threat of death,the enigma that is barbel,hard fighting,with lots of strength,yet delicate and fragile,the only fish similar in fragility is the grayling.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Barbel are imo not a keepnet friendly species,often knackered after the fight,fish of up to 3-4lbs seem to be strong,above this they seem stressed,bigger barbel are long fish,making them harder to turn in the net,wide too,with their pec's increasing this effect,a 12lbs plus fish is a long fish and it cannot do itself any good imo,stress,exhaustion,the other species normally seeing keepnets used don't appear at threat of death,the enigma that is barbel,hard fighting,with lots of strength,yet delicate and fragile,the only fish similar in fragility is the grayling.

It's also a well known fact that they often get their dorsal fins and peck fins snarled up in the mesh and this does damage them, quite badly sometimes!
Best to just release 'em straight away to keep in good fettle!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As I said earlier I rarely carry a keepnet and only ever use one if I'm fishing a match or I'm on silvers where I think returning fish might spook the shoal. I'm not terribly happy about using a net at all as no matter how well staked out I do think it damages the fish.....roach in particular as they definately redden up in a net.

And who hasn't seen the shower of scales when you return the fish ? That cannot be good and it's why I doubt my keepnet gets used more than 2 times a season.....if that.

I only ever once put a barbel in a net. It's dorsal got snagged and I had to cut it free. Never again.

terry m

Reaction score
Footage of match weigh ins where huge match nets are literally bulging with dozens of large bream flapping around along with silvers being squashed.

Heaved out of the water, flopped onto the ground, then rolled down the net into a weigh bag. Then spread out across the floor whilst some buffoon gets a picture, then scooped up and returned. OK I accept that this is the extreme end of the scale. But it still happens.

Grim

B

binka

Footage of match weigh ins where huge match nets are literally bulging with dozens of large bream flapping around along with silvers being squashed.

Heaved out of the water, flopped onto the ground, then rolled down the net into a weigh bag. Then spread out across the floor whilst some buffoon gets a picture, then scooped up and returned. OK I accept that this is the extreme end of the scale. But it still happens.

Grim

That reminds me very much of the scenes during the early eighties when the Bann and the Shannon were throwing up huge bags of roach, keepnet rings forced into oval shapes and no one really ever gave it a second thought.

Nice to know that some things in fishing have improved... :)

Reaction score
I watched a BAA open on the Severn at Quatford many,many years ago and watched a well known match angler(who isn't well known to me these days,i've forgotten;))weighing in around 80lbs of barbel,it was awful to watch,barbel jumping around on the sandy bank,sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it...

lutra

Reaction score
In my early barbel fishing days (30 odd years ago) I pretty much always used a keepnet pegged in the flow to put barbel in and give them 5 minutes to recover. Never had a problem, in-fact the only time I've had a dorsal caught in a net was in a landing net. Now if I really have to lift a barbel out in the net (which is not often), I make sure it's not led on it's dorsal fin first.

Philip

Reaction score
I wonder if they renamed them to "Barbel Tunnel" then it would be ok ? :wh