Kickles Facts, Syndicates & The Future

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
To debate this article and the issues it refers to, read through and join this thread:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=2&UTN=1069#10210>'Adams Mill'</A>

P

Peter Waller

As Tony Miles puts it then the picture is rather different. It is a pity, however, that Newport Pagnell were not asked to control the influx of anglers that wished to fish the area. However, that chance has gone so perhaps what has happened is for the best. In no way am I jealous, I was never likely to have fished the area and certainly don't have the skill to have accomplished much had I the opportunity! I'm afraid many of the comments over this situation are a fair comment in reguard to previously accesible fishing being lost to clubs or syndicates.

D

David Will

I think the lesson of this little episode is clear as alluded to by Tony.
Find your own fish , enjoy the experience with a few close friends but keep quiet.
If anyone is really concerned about the loss of this venue perhaps they should get their walking boots on and have a look at the miles and miles of Great Ouse and Thames that contain big Barbel.
What the episode has to do with Des Taylor i do not know.It must be remembered that he cares so much for Barbel and other riverine fish that he would have had us fishing for them in the Close Season.
Syndicates come and syndicates go, so what! go fish somewhere else and leave those in them alone.
The farmer has every right to do what he pleases on HIS land, we have no right to criticize him.

D

Davy North

Could someone clarify something for a dim northerner. Tony was talking about Kickles farm not Adams Mill, which are two different places? Has Adams Mill been syndicated or not?

Just a few obsevations on the subject;

The thing that got peoples backs up was the word "syndicate" with visions of wealthy glory hunting anglers waving huge amounts of money about, and pushing the club off. Many posts were, mine included a comment on the ethics of syndictes generally.
However Tony Miles has show us that this is not the case in this situation.
I just wonder who coined the word syndicate in relation to Kickles Farm in the first place?

It is perhaps a pitty that the farmer didn't ask the club to limit the number of anglers on the water at any one time as Peter says. Many clubs only alow say three cars in a farm yard, and perhaps put limits on the times the venue can be fished i.e. 7am - 11pm. I know this stops night fishing but it's better than losing the fishing altogether. But that's all irrelevant now. The farmer has the right to do as he pleases.

Tony is clearly upset about the whole matter, but there's no need for him to keep his photo's in his album. I'm sure I speak for many people who get a great deal of pleasure from his articles. If he catches a huge fish from the Upper Great Ouse or where ever that's all we need to know, not the exact venue. As for lazy anglers who just want to follow the crowd, tough! Get off your butt's and put a bit of effort in.

Finally, if anyone should keep their "gob shut" perhaps it's Des Taylor.

T

Tony Miles

Davy, Kickles Farm is the stretch of the Ouse immediately downstream of the Adams Mill stretch. Adams Mill has not been syndicated, it is still club water.

G

Gary Knowles

Excellent and thought provoking article from Tony Miles. Tony just confirmed what I already suspected. I have personally seen waters before and after the 'circus' decended although obviously not on the scale of Kickles Farm.

I do feel sorry for the original controlling club, and its members but I have to say had I been the farmer I would have done exactly the same. Think about it, if your house was adjacent to a stretch of water would you prefer a handfull of anglers that you know being present or a constant stream of cars 24 hours a day encamped on your land.

If the original anglers who pioneered the water were pleasant and courteous enought o recive an invite in the future then I say good luck to them !

C

Chris Bishop

It certainly paints a very different picture to the image of glory hunters waving wads of cash around.

R

Ron Clay

How about some of you guys coming to fish the tidal Trent this year. There are miles of water, all the way from Cromwell to Gainsborough. Most of the club tickets cost no more than ?20.00 per year. You dont have to use any exotic baits as you may be catching fish that have never seen a hook before.

Just find a gravelly area on the outside of a bend and you have found barbel.

Plenty of doubles came out last year before the floods. You dont have to fish all night either. Just watch the tides.