Kindness of strangers.

dicky123

Reaction score
Even though I blanked today, a very experienced match angler spent some time with me. He not only answered all my silly questions, he even explained what floats and gear I should be using in the present conditions. Showed me his tackle and explained why he was using it.

I in return, told him about the beat we were fishing as it was new to him. I tried to explain were the better barbel swims were, for when he returns for a pleasure trip. Not that that knowledgeable is doing me much good at the moment?

I really liked this guy, helpful and friendly. Oh, if only more anglers spoke, and helped each other:) The world would be a nicer place.

flightliner

Reaction score
Allways a pleasure to return kindness ****y. Nice also to see the "givers" bankside afterwards too.Lots shown and given on here from time to time also.

john step

Reaction score
I sat freezing my nuts off on the Trent a couple of years ago. There were a couple of Sheffield lads about 100yds downstream.
I noticed one of them reel in and do something at the back of their land rover.

Next thing he walked along to me and presented me with a plastic cup of piping hot soup. What a gent.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's great to help someone out, especially if it starts them catching. However, you have to be ever so careful when offering help. For every one that's receptive, there'll be a couple that take umbrage.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I sat freezing my nuts off on the Trent a couple of years ago. There were a couple of Sheffield lads about 100yds downstream.
I noticed one of them reel in and do something at the back of their land rover.

Next thing he walked along to me and presented me with a plastic cup of piping hot soup. What a gent.

He might have rubbed his knob round the rim of that cup before he gave it you :w :eek:mg: :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have to say I get a bit of a kick around helping other anglers, BUT they have to approach me in the first instance. Even better if the catch a fish as a result!
I remember stopping by a young chap who said he was struggling, so I asked if he'd tried bread - "ain't got none" he said. Dropped the bags and gave him a leftover slice of mine and folded a lump over the hook (on request) and he plonked in in the margins.
Few minutes later I left him playing a reasonable carp with a smile on my face. I was as chuffed as him, I imagine,,,,

ps As a lad I was given a spare pair of socks by a total stranger following an unexpected dunking of the legs. Meant I could fish on with boots draining in the sun. Never forgotten the kindness he showed and I can still see his face, even now......

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Tee-Hee.

I'm waiting for a pair of panties from Alisa Dixon, but that's another forum:wh

Sam, your right. Some folk simply cannot take help, even when offered.:confused:

John, was it Ox tail by any chance. That would explain the Mad Cows:D

****y.

thecrow

Reaction score
I doubt that there is another pastime/sport where a conversation can be struck up between perfect strangers starting with angling and sometimes moving on to other none angling things.

I am careful about who I will give advice to and as Tony say's they must approach me I would never stick my beak into how another angler is fishing as you never know what they are trying to do, its great to be able to give advice and bits of tackle to youngsters and see them catch fish................. on the other hand I have been caught out in the past when I have given hard won information to another angler who was successful using it he then broadcast it to all and sundry the information even appearing in a magazine article, it changed my thinking and who I trusted.

john step

Reaction score
He might have rubbed his knob round the rim of that cup before he gave it you :w :eek:mg: :D

Oh you are awfull:D

****y. It was chicken so FOWL:D:D

Sam. Once helped a large youngsters match come outing on the Grand Union. There was help and tackle bits on hand as there were obviously variations in tackle and ability.
One little 'un with 10lb line and a sea hook obviously needed help. When offered, his slightly older brother with a personality disorder got quite hostile and was of the opinion there was nothing that they needed advice on however tactfully it was offered. You are right, some you cannot help.

Crow, I made that mistake last winter. I told a fellow club member about the location of roach on the Witham. As I pike it it mattered not to me. However he blurted to all and sundry the pike he had seen attacking the roach and the next time I arrived it was full of faces I knew. That's it, stum
in future.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's one way of warming the extremeties :D

:puke::puke::puke:

I wouldn't want to put my lips on there after the rubbing maneuver has been implemented though :eek:.

When myself and some of my old school m8's get together the strange/mischievous even disgusting sense of humors we had at school are often re-kindled :wh :eek:mg:.
A couple of years back three of us where trotting on the Eden on a freezing cold winters day and one of us had been up to the old practical jokes last time out (he'd lifted the top of one of my other m'8s mince pies and slipped a couple of ferret turds in skillfully replacing the lid of the pie so it wouldn't be noticed, needles to say my other m'8 wolfed down the lot blissfully unaware that the strange tasting minced pie was laced with ferret scat :eek:) so my m8 Ste (the one who'd eaten the ferret shyte) and myself introduced several large handfuls of mixed red and white maggots into the his piping hot flask of soup. We could barely control our laughter as the victim (another Ste) chewed the maggots and swirled his cup round when he only had a bit left in the bottom making sure not to leave any of the lovely chewy chicken pieces behind :wh :eek:mg:.
Obviously these tricks are only practiced among-st ourselves and unfortunately we don't get out together very often now, but when we do we all need eyes in the back of our heads in case of revenge attacks!

john step

Reaction score
Tigger, reminds me of a old mates get together.One bloke brought his German Shepherd, Butch.
After much joking and ar$ing about we decided to insert dog poo into the fresh air intake of his car.

On his journey from London to Plymouth he had to stop frequently as he thought dear old Butch had pooed in the back of his car:D:D:D:D

Philip

Reaction score
I have probably mentioned this before but its worth repeating.

As a young angler cutting his teeth I was down to the Wye for a week and by chance ran into John Bailey in the Pub who was giving Barbel courses down there at that time. I was quite taken a back to see this angling “star” as such and went over & blurted out that I had read all his books and stuck out my hand which he shook.

Afterwards I felt a bit silly & embarrassed with myself for doing it and made a mental note not to trouble or annoy him for the rest of the week. I didn’t want to be a sort of clingy fan as such so I kept myself to myself. Each evening I would see him in the Pub and he would say good evening and I would say the same and that was that although I think he knew I was trying not to trouble him.

Towards the end of the week I was out on the bank, it was a horrible day and I was tucked up under my umbrella. Out of Nowhere I see John coming down the bank towards me…he then stuck his head round and said – mind if I join you ? …of course I said yes and he tucked himself under my little 45inch brolly and we chatted about all things fishing for over an hour.

The next day he drove me round a tour of the river and showed me all the spots to fish. Remember, he had paying guests at this time as well but he took the trouble to spend time with a young mad keen angler and he had absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I know he gets some bad press from time to time but I have never forgotten the kindness he showed.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Very nice story Philip, and one that confirms what I have always thought of him. I collected all his books from the beginning and read them many times, coming to the conclusion many years ago that he has something different to offer. A case in point was his amazing efforts to catch huge roach from Norfolk rivers, fishing in intense cold through winter and at night without being sure of even mild success. He succeeded through shear determination and I used that in my own efforts too catch better fish. I also like to think he helped me see tactics in a different way.....be that little bit different, if that makes sense.

He does seem to get bad press for some reason and I have read many comments (even on FM) if not running him down, then making what I see as unnecessary derogatory remarks. Maybe this is because he comes across as 'posh' (for want of a better word) but I only see him as an intelligent, well read, well travelled chap who happens to be a damn good fisherman. I'm sure many would love to emulate his catches, though...........

Certainly a special few hours for you..

Last edited:

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Even the giants of the angling world need a leg - up. I am sure I read somewhere that the great **** Walker said that he owed his success to the tuition he received from Ron Clay.....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
.......and I'm sure Ron would say "Well, if you insist".

I wonder where he is now..........South Africa, perhaps!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Towards the end of the week I was out on the bank, it was a horrible day and I was tucked up under my umbrella. Out of Nowhere I see John coming down the bank towards me…he then stuck his head round and said – mind if I join you ? …of course I said yes and he tucked himself under my little 45inch brolly and we chatted about all things fishing for over an hour.

The next day he drove me round a tour of the river and showed me all the spots to fish. Remember, he had paying guests at this time as well but he took the trouble to spend time with a young mad keen angler and he had absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I know he gets some bad press from time to time but I have never forgotten the kindness he showed.

Sounds like he fancied you Philip :eek: