Kite Fishing

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Has anyone back in the UK tried kite fishing? Is it legal in the UK???

I have just be conned by my local tackle shop into buying a kite fishing set up and its great!!!

Im now thinking of upgrading to an electric winch for retrieval, just flick the switch and unhook the fish as they come out of the water, my freezer is now bursting with fish!!!!!

J

jason fisher

you use a long line with a hook on the end and a very buoyant float in the hope that you will catch any passing kites

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What you actually do is lauch a kite out to sea when there is a land breeze attached to which is a bait to attract game fish such as yellowtail or garrick. Although I have never done this myself, I have seen it done off the beach at Plettenberg Bay.

You can fish close on 1/4 of a mile out to sea using this technique.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You'd have a job seeing your float from 1/4 mile away !!!

E

Thats good. ----If you only have one eye binoculars are useless...

E

why dont shops sell binoculars to one eyed people for half price ?

J

jason fisher

you could try lining up 3 monacles on a long piece of wood if you don't have a telescope

C

Chris Bishop

There's a website, they do it in New Zealand, basically using a kite to take a baited long line a mile or so out to sea.

No rod, they have a drum winch instead of a reel and you can buy all the rigs etc ready-made.

Looks fun but probably wouldn't be feasible where I live due to windsurfers, kite surfers, shrimp boats, shipping etc.

martin close

Reaction score
Chris

In Australia we use a balloon, just blow it up, tie onto the line with a very light line and let offshore breezes blow it out. When the fish strikes the balloon dislodges and your on, don't worry about the windsurfers, place them gently on an unhooking mat grab by the ankles to disgorge, weigh them and toss back, if she's nice get her phone number!!.

Martin