Landing, Handling and Unhooking Pike

P

paul williams

Stuart, sorry you are confused mate and you are right, practical help is far better than reading us lots ramblings! if the teach in that Budgie is planning is out for you then members of the list are holding a get together in the lakes, you would be made welcome i am sure and hopefully be able to learn something.

C

Carp Angler

I don't normally fish for predators, so when I do, I go with an experienced person.
Paul and I are going for Zander today, and never having seen one before I'm going with someone who knows what they're doing.

It's always a wise option, fish safety first.

P

paul williams

I thought you were going early to catch my livebaits? no Pie n chips for you tonight!!!

C

Chris Bishop

At the end of the day it's down to you and what you prefer. The point is to use a method of fishing which gives prompt indication of a take, hit it quickly and use sensible gear. The way you handle them on the bank should be geared around getting the hooks out and getting them back in the water as quickly as you can. If you're comfortable lifting them, that's fine. If you'd rather lay them down and roll them on their backs ditto. Whatever you elect to do it's all a lot easier - and a lot less intimidating - to go out with someonbe who knows what they're doing who can show you the crack.

C

Carp Angler

I don't know about showing you the crack........
if Paul does that, I'm coming straight home..

C

Chris Bishop

Various authorities on the broads are drawing up a code of conduct for anglers. It includes pike fishing and pike handling, as well as various other issues.

P

Philip Inzani

Just to add to this...dont the PAC do some sort of leaflet that actually shows in a drawing the gloved hand technique ?(I am pretty sure they used to).
If a beginner gets the address of the regional PAC organizer and sends them a SAE I am sure they would send out some info.

P

Philip Inzani

Just to clarify the "gloved hand technique" diagrams I mention are with regard to unhooking Pike.

..thought I better mention it with all this talk about showing cracks going on!!

C

Chris Bishop

You can get the gloves from Harris Angling, but a lot of people shun them for fear you can damage fish without realising it - ie if your fingers stray too near the gill rakers and filaments.

I can see the advantage though for people unused to handling pike.

Once you get used to feeling your way up the gill opening and gripping the jaw bone, they're fairly straightforward to unhook, especially using barbless hooks.

A pike's mouth is clearly a lot bigger than any other fish and there's plenty of room to work in.

If one or more of the hooks is in the throat, you only have to pull it into view, insert forceps through the gill opening, clamp down on the shank of the hook and turn it out.

Obviously it's better not to deep hook them in the first place, but it happensd to all of us from time to time. The important thing is to do all you can to avoid it, and know how to deal with it if it does happen.