Lean Mean Silver Machine!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anyone else fished for these beauties?

R

Rob Brownfield

One was taken from my local River Don by a salmon angler last year. Naturally it was smashed on the head and thrown up the bank.

Later on, it was taken to the marine lab in Aberdeen where it was identified as a Twaite Shad. Something was said about it being a protected species...is this that case, because if it is, then it will be illegal to fish for them?

Anyone know about this?

lovely looking fish though, in a strange way, i bet they fight some!

P

Philip Inzani

Never seen an article dedicated to Shad before, I enjoyed it a lot. I have never caught one but I remember seeing a fish on the Wye that at the time I thought might have been an Allis Shad. I am not sure how big Twaite Shad go (?) but this fish was certainly over 5 pounds and it definitely was not a Chub, Salmon or anything like that.

One question I have is about access to the rivers to have a go after them. I found access on the Wye restricted at the best of times for a casual visitor, and I guess it could be even more difficult in the May to June period. Are there many fisheries that would open their door to a few Shad fishermen ? It would be great to catch one at some point.

S

Stewart Bloor

Rob, in Paul's article he says that he was fishing for the Twaite Shad, but that the Allis Shad is a protected species....

P

Paul Williams

It is indeed the Allis that is the protected one, it sounds Philip as thoughit would have been one that you saw as they are the ones capable of reaching that size.
Herefod and district AC do a dayticket, but i think Sundays is for season ticket holders only..but i can't remember if that is all the waters!! if anyone is interested then i will dig my permit out and check.
The only thing that might put a block on it this year is of course F+M.

G

Goose Ganderton

Great article Paul. I have never fished for shad before but it sounds wonderful, and with a good scoff and cider just perfect. Do you think they could by the end of the week cos i am over that way.

G

Goose Ganderton

Sorry that should read "Do you think they could be showing by the end of the week".
Bloody dyslexic fool

R

Rob Brownfield

Just found out...Scotland, being Scotland has a sub section to the endangered species list, and yep, its protected up here..grrrr...

Besides that, I could never fish for them as I would never get permission to fish on a Salmon river with bait.

L

Lionel Price

Shad have shown at Hereford.With F+M restrictions still in place the only feasible place to fish for them is on H&DAA's water at Eign Bridge in Hereford,available on a day ticket I believe.
If you do get to fish for them use 3lb line with a fly spoon or small mepps spinner,with a couple of AA shot bulked 18" above.

P

Paul Williams

Lionel,
Thanks for that mate, perhaps the caravan field at Mordiford too?....i pressume it is now open so it could be another option.

M

Matt Stockburn

can u help me catch the big pike in the leeds and liverpool canal near burnley

M

Matt Stockburn

i fish a local lake that holds lots of bream tench and carp as well as roach and perch.i no that the lake has a lot of natural bait like bloodworm.but i can not catch the raoch or perch .could someone give me some tips and methods for catching both of these fish??