Let The Fur Fly

R

Rob Brownfield

David, it is possible to roll cast a Pike Fly, but use a Lee Wulff Triangle taper line instead. They do a version for Bass/saltwater that turns a fly beautifully. They are expensive (?50+) but I have a contact that can offer them a bit cheaper if anyone is interested?

The Sttple cast is a useful one too. As for the Spey cast, its a pit difficult sindle handed and with a heavy line. I can to it with a 9 foot 4 weight rod, but I dont have the strength foe a 10 weight.

However...on a river, I think I would use a double handed salmon rod anyway, so the spey cast should be fine...infact, perfect for a BIG pike fly.

D

David OLoughlin

Rob, thanks for that. Do you have any thoughts on my post 23/9 as realistically I'm not in any position to get new tackle at the moment. The reason for thinking about the shooting head is someone explained to me that as there is less line, you have to go up a size to be able to load the rod properly. As for lines I'm afraid I'm limited to mill ends.
My problem is at present I don't go fishing that regularly & I like to chance my hand at all branches of our sport. Hence my tackle where possible becomes multi-purpose.

R

Rob Brownfield

Shooting heads are used a fair bit by the yanks, but I cant get on with them. I prefer a shooting head.

Mill ends are fine, just remove about 18 inshes off the tip, this gives a better turnover for the bigger flies.