Let's build a Gudgeon rod!

stevejay

Reaction score
I can remember fishing a national on the Oxford Canal and gudgeon were a target on may pegs. This was when pole fishing was still in its infancy and short whips hadn't really taken off.
A few of our team rigged up handles and reel fittings that were attached to the top 2 sections of a suitable light float rod or "picker/wand" type rod. Worked quite well and enabled you to fish more than one line for the little bleeders!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Some years ago I fished an Angling Times or Anglers Mail Dad's n Lads qualifier on the Shropshire Union Canal at Soudley ,
My son and myself weighed in just under 2lb and just failed to qualify, The catch consisted of 2 small roach and the rest were gudgeon . All mine were caught on long pole against the far side , Couldn't get them by holding a bait static with bulk shot , they all came on slow fall and went with the flow . My lad had his on short pole along nearside ledge,

mikench

Reaction score
I reckon this would do.

aca0cabb6a0973777bd24ed9cb815f78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Clive

Reaction score
Hi Evets, I made such a rod during the first lock down. I used a 9' 6" #6 cane fly rod that I no longer had use for. After examining the action of the blank and receiving some advice I cut around 9" from the top of the lower section. This meant re-seating the ferrule which isn't difficult. As I wanted the rod to be in 2 equal parts I had to add a section below the fly rod handle. Once the reel sest was off it revealed a handy spigot that formed the base for my extension made from a length of whole bamboo. I chose to put an abbreviated handle on rather than full length.

I used the original guides. In hindsight I should have bought new guides more suited to a coarse rod as the line sometimes sticks to the cane in wet weather.

P1020119.JPG

P1020118.JPG

P1020116.JPG

20210703_130051_resize_79.jpg

it is a handy little rod for small rivers. Test curve around 12oz and a through action that deals with gobio's bigger cousins. A 6 or 7 foot fly rod may suit your purpose better. Possibly even a Hardy Jet glass rod and strip it right down.

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
Buy a Shakespeare Agility 2, # 3 weight fly rod . 6ft long , four piece and the nicest small river stream rod I've used. Fun with a 2 oz trout , still fun with a 2 lb chub . About £55 , and add in a bit of time and money for a 'proper ' handle and reel seat . Sorted.

Or just buy a 6 ft Shimano Zodias , my light lure staple - a gorgeous rod, apparently designed for Japanese domestic fishing - cherry bass and the like . Pricey - mine was £160 - but a very sexy rod with which to target gobio gobio

mikench

Reaction score
I have only seen Shakespeare Agility 2 fly rods of 6 to 8’ and of #3 or #4 weight in 4 or 5 sections ie travel rods. Are they as good and is the rod you recommended a 2 piece?

John Aston

Reaction score
No- as I said , the Agility is a four piece. It may seem weird having so many tiny sections- but this is a thing in many modern fly rods, travel or not . But trust me, the rods are outstanding, comfortably the best small stream rod I've used .

@Clive

Reaction score
I bought a rod from Dawsons of Holme Lane, Hillsborough in Sheffield that is labelled River Don Special. It is about 5 foot, the top 18 inches being a very flexible quiver tip. The rest of the rod looks like it came from a fibreglass fly rod. They make up rods to suit whatever the customer needs and from memory mine was £25. Might be worth giving them a bell.

Keith M

Reaction score
I won a 2 piece rod when fishing a pairs match in Barnet AC quite a few years ago which would probably make a great gudgeon rod. It’s about 10ft long and has a very very fine tip section (but it’s not a Quivertip) and it is extremely light in weight.

Without searching through all of the rods in my fishing room I’m unsure of its make but It has a picture of a ‘Water Rail’ just in front of its handle; and I was told it was a canal ‘winkle picker’ made for using fine lines.

If I remember then I’ll get it out and post a photo of it.
I have never used it.

Keith

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed reading the replies to this, thanks guys.

I've still not decided which way to go but by chance a work colleague has a redundant 2 weight fly rod which he's offered me in the knowledge of what I intend to do with it and i'm intrigued to see just what it will be like having never handled such a thing.

I'm really regretting selling my palm sized Daiwa Crossfire reel in the tiny 500 size now, a very usable drag and all round solid little reel and i'll probably end up buying another when one eventually comes up at twice the price lol, having said that i'm also drawn towards a small 'pin.

adamsanglingblog

Reaction score
The old silstar pickers are perfect for such species. Ultra light and super thin with a superbly light action ideal for small fish

Aknib

Reaction score
Buy a Shakespeare Agility 2, # 3 weight fly rod . 6ft long , four piece and the nicest small river stream rod I've used. Fun with a 2 oz trout , still fun with a 2 lb chub . About £55 , and add in a bit of time and money for a 'proper ' handle and reel seat . Sorted.

Or just buy a 6 ft Shimano Zodias , my light lure staple - a gorgeous rod, apparently designed for Japanese domestic fishing - cherry bass and the like . Pricey - mine was £160 - but a very sexy rod with which to target gobio gobio
I'm drawn towards this idea, contrary to my initial post i'm now considering the 10' no.3 weight partly because it's actually available and partly because i've talked myself into a slightly longer rod.

My question is, in your opinion, considering I have no experience of these kind of rods whatsoever, would the 10' in the same weight offer the same or similar light fish experience and enjoyment as the 6' you refer to?

@Clive

Reaction score
The problem with wet fly and nymph rods is that to get the lazy action they often have a long straight section between the butt taper and the tip taper. It gives the rods a floppy middle if not loaded to the correct weight when casting. You can only easily alter the action of cane rods by taking a section out, not so easy with glass or carbon as the joints will not be the right size even if you spigot the joints. Dry fly rods have a sharper action and would be more in line with a float or Avon rod.

Aknib

Reaction score
The problem with wet fly and nymph rods is that to get the lazy action they often have a long straight section between the butt taper and the tip taper. It gives the rods a floppy middle if not loaded to the correct weight when casting. You can only easily alter the action of cane rods by taking a section out, not so easy with glass or carbon as the joints will not be the right size even if you spigot the joints. Dry fly rods have a sharper action and would be more in line with a float or Avon rod.
Cheers Clive that was my concern, that I end up with some sort of floppy actioned rod that I wouldn't enjoy using.

So... I'm now looking more at a blank aimed at dry fly fishing, the Evoke is described as a crisp medium to fast action which i'm thinking should avoid the floppiness?

@Clive

Reaction score
You would only know if you gave it a good waggle. A 10 foot low weight fly rod wouldn't be my choice of blank. Initially you mentioned a much shorter rod for small streams. You should be able to find an 8 foot #3 or #4 that would make a better starting point imo.