Light Float Rod

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
So I wrote on the how did you get on thread how I shut the middle section of my Acolyte Ultra 13ft in my car door. A phone call and trip to Baileys Tackle, Warwick and they sorted me a new section for a good price.

While preparing for a trip today and managed to break the tip section, what a plonker!

Two breakages in a week! I've had the bloody thing for three years without incident.

I do love the Ultra and will probably replace the tip section and I'll have something akin to Trigger's Broom.

Before I do though should I consider any other light Float rods? I mostly use the Ultra on rivers for silvers.

Keith M

Reaction score
The Acolyte Plus float rod is a stepped‑up version of the Acolyte Ultra float rod but still a great rod for small roach and Rudd etc. as well, and it’s still very light.

I have had the 13ft Ultra for quite a while but although I like it I wish I’d bought the Plus instead of the Ultra.
NB: I also had to replace my Ultra’s tip section.

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
You are looking for something that's not been especially easy to come by in recent years. The most obvious option would be a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight. It has similar power as the Acolyte Ultra but is slightly more through actioned. It's heavier, though it is cheaper. Prior to the introduction of the Acolytes, it was pretty much the only show in town.

In the past few years, Garbolino introduced the Altima range. That included a 13' Light variant. However, the Altima was recently discontinued and superseded by the "Essential" range. This range shares a lot of similarities to the Altima. The cynic in me would suggest that they are little more than a cosmetic upgrade. However, they expanded the range to include a 12' Ultra Light in addition to the 13' Light variant. I've yet to see any of the Essential range, but based on owning a couple of Altimas, they might be worth a coat of looking at, if you can actually find them.

I doubt that you'll find the options highlighted better than an Acolyte Ultra. Other options are available, but all I can think of would only be available second hand.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Cheers Sam I've got a G System Power float which is the range before the Altimas, its a very nice rod so I would be interested if I could find an ultralight in the Altima range.

Chances are I'll stick with the Ultra and get a new top section just think I'm cursed with it now and I'm guessing by trying to be extra careful not to break it for a third time I will be destined to do just that!

trotter2

Reaction score
The Acolyte Plus float rod is a stepped‑up version of the Acolyte Ultra float rod but still a great rod for small roach and Rudd etc. as well, and it’s still very light.

I have had the 13ft Ultra for quite a while but although I like it I wish I’d bought the Plus instead of the Ultra.
NB: I also had to replace my Ultra’s tip section.

Keith
Keith I would do a swap if your interested Got a 13 ft plus. Let me know

wetthrough

Reaction score

rob48

Reaction score
The Rive R-Waggler light is the best light actioned float rod on the market that I've seen for years. Although it's badged waggler it's perfect for light to medium stick float fishing as well.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. After consideration I'm going to get a spare section for the Acolyte, been without it for a week and miss it already. Hope I'm not cursed to break it again at least for a few years yet!!!