Lightweight Lure Rods; Where Do You Start?

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've been clearing through my fishing gear and found my old lure fishing setup from when I used to heavily be into my pike fishing and its re-kindled my interest in lure fishing. The rod and lures however are far too beefy/big for the venues I fish nowadays so I've been slowly looking through various things about bait finesse fishing from Japan, dropshotting and LRF ect as I have a few brilliant club ponds with perch in and tiny river stretches. I also live right on the coast between two Estuaries so thats where the LRF aspect looks promising for a very rare venture after work.
My problem is theres so many lightweight lure rods about for roughly the same cost is I'm not sure where to even start! I'm currently looking at an HTO Rockfish 3-15g
Fox Rage Street Fighter Drop and Jig, Shakespeare Salt XT LRF 5-15g but am hard pressed to find reviews on any of these rods so does anyone have any experience with these or can suggest any other half decent lightweight rods for mucking about with for chub and perch or the occasional venture up the estuaries around marinas ect?
Many thanks chaps for any help you can shed on this! And if anyones in the market for a good quality heavyweight lure rod, do ask....I need to sell it to fund another rod;)
Lloyd

John Aston

Reaction score
I have three , used for perch , chub and the Drennan for pike too -

8-6 Fox Ultron Rage -longer than the norm but the length helps with overgrown swims. Not as lissom as the Shimano, but better with big fish .

Drennan Dropshot 7-6-my go- to lure rod if pike are a likelihood. Wieldy , fun with a small perch but mine has dealt with plenty of decent pike up to 12/13 lb .

Shimano Zodias 6ft. Gorgeous little jewel of a rod for smaller rivers and canals . Immense fun with any fish of any size but I've had carp to 15lb on it too . Not a rod for big , fast flowing rivers or if more than the odd jack pike is a risk.

terry m

Reaction score
When I lure fish I generally wander with 2 rods. For light lures and spinners I use a 10-30g Shimano Beastmaster that I have had for donkeys years, it’s paired with a small Shimano FS reel. I also carry a heavier 40-100g Wychwood Agitator that is paired with an ABU bait caster reel. Pretty much covers most circumstances and caters for all sizes of lure.

John Aston

Reaction score
Ah well , we all have different takes on our sport. I would never even dream of comprising mobility with two rods to carry and my heaviest lure is 8-10g , and most 3-5g !

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve accumulated several lure rods over the years ranging from a light fox rage ultron drop shotting rod, plus a 2 to 5 grm Fox light spinning rod, plus a couple of Shimano spinning rods of different lengths casting around 10 to 20 grms or thereabouts; and an older Shakespeare 50grm lure rod that I use for fishing Plugs and lures for Pike; and which I’ve also caught a couple of sea bass with using prawn and sand eel lures.

Keith

Last edited: