Link ledgering with a float rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Thank you Sam (and others). Good explanation, as always. This is how I was going to set up for link ledgering... pretty light. I might also try what I've seen Martin Bowler do - dispense with the swivel, wrap a short length of paternoster line around the mainline above the float stop, secure with shot and add three or four more shot.

Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 14.01.17.png

At the end of the day, I'll probably just trot with the float rod, or take both my Acolytes. It's not really a fishing trip as such, so my original intention was to just take the minimum I could get away with.

The bad one

Reaction score
That might be as funny as you think it is, if I actually mentioned fishing a lough. In fact, in post #1 I said I'll mostly be trotting, which is rather suggestive of river fishing, no? See also #9.

I think Chris has answered why using any acolyte isn't a great idea. A view I concur with even though I don't own any Acolytes. Mine are Harrisons gti float/match rods and I'd never consider using them for link ledgering, The heaviest weight I ever cast with them is a plumet for finding the depth to set the float at.

But Hey Ho, you crack on old son fishing a lough or a river that leaves a lough with your modified acolyte tip rod in your oblivious naivety. As a second thought maybe, you contact Peter Drennan and put it to him you have made a dual purpose Acolyte rod, I'm sure he'd be interested in it. I can find you his direct number for his personal office if you need help. He's a really nice guy is Peter and I've spoken to him several times over various ideas down the years.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I rarely carry a rod tube with just one rod in - the tube is far heavier and bulkier, so I want it to earn its keep. If you top and tail rods in their bags - the handles are the thickest end, so don't put them together - and carefully slide them into the tube, you can take your float rod for float-fishing and your tip rod for legering, and the whole problem disappears. Funnily enough, I have a rod tube here containing both Daiwa Amorphous Whisker 13'H and Daiwa TDCL11' 6". Both made several trips to the Erne in that tube.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
With the setup you've posted, you'll be absolutely fine on the rivers. Your weight will be well within the casting range of your rod, especially as, if you're on the rivers, you're not going to need much more than low energy casting. The one caveat I'd add is to make doubly sure over wrapped up eyes when you're casting and winding. The more weight you add, the less likely it is you'll get away with it if it does get wrapped round and you don't spot it! Then the trip becomes a no-rod trip rather than a one-rod trip!

The thing that would stop me taking your Acolyte wouldn't be the fishing, it'd be the rigmarole of travelling with it and the worry of it getting knocked about with the other stuff in the vehicle. But then I'm pretty inept and have a history of daft errors that turn two piece rods into three piece rods...

The bad one

Reaction score
Not very nice takin g the piss out someone with a disability, is it? I'm a dyslexic and my spell checker corrected it wrongly as it happens. But I guess you can't expect anything else from a member of the most hated people in the country. It's now been corrected!

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Not very nice takin g the piss out someone with a disability, is it? I'm a dyslexic and my spell checker corrected it wrongly as it happens. But I guess you can't expect anything else from a member of the most hated people in the country. It's now been corrected!

I'm taking the pi55 out of you, not your supposed disability; if you dish it out, you can expect some pi55-taking in return. In any case, it wasn't your dyslexia it was your spell-checker that I'm laughing at.

As a second thought maybe, you contact Peter Drennan and put it to him you have made a dual purpose Acolyte rod, I'm sure he'd be interested in it. I can find you his direct number for his personal office if you need help. He's a really nice guy is Peter and I've spoken to him several times over various ideas down the years.

I tell you what, serendipity... ring Peter Drennan and tell him you've got a new name for a rod: the Drennan Acylate. No doubt he'll be as delighted as he has been with all your other, quote: "...various ideas down the years". He's so lucky to have you.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
By taking the piss out of my spelling you are taking the piss out of my disability. Which is well recorded on here over many years where I've referenced it. There is no supposed about it you nasty keyboard warrior!

John Aston

Reaction score
nice takin g the piss out someone with a disability, is it? I'm a dyslexic and my spell checker corrected it wrongly as it happens. But I guess you can't expect anything else from a member of the most hated people in the country. It's now been corrected!
Oh , ok . And there was me thinking your disability was an uncontrollable temper.

Status
Not open for further replies.