loading line onto reels

riverman

Reaction score
never done this.i ask my daughter to hold the loaded spool (usually wearing a pair of gloves so as to not burn her fingers) whilst i reel the line onto the reel.
do any of the members use this method demonstrated here?
watched this fella on you.tube many times and picked up so many top tips from a top angler.
thanks again james.

Ged28

Reaction score
I use a line loader my son made up for me a couple of years ago. Prior to that I just threw the spool in a bucket of water and wound the line through a damp cloth. Both these methods work for different length spools and for rods where the butt ring is much further up the rod.

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_165406.jpg
    IMG_20201018_165406.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 47

@Clive

Reaction score
I do similar to the bucket and cloth method using a plastic tub and put tension on just before the line reaches the reel. It is better than someone holding the spool especially when the spools have line clips that can interfere with the process.

mikench

Reaction score
He makes everything look simple and is an excellent angler. I do find spooling a reel difficult and sometimes have a poor line lay. I use the bucket of water method with the line fed through two eyes and tensioned by a piece of foam.

rob48

Reaction score
I load my line with a lassoo loop like James does in the video, it's unobtrusive and tightens up on itself. The only difference is that I use a double overhand knot instead of the figure-of-8 as it lies flatter against the spool and strength isn't really an issue unless every inch of line has been stripped off the reel, which has never happened to me.
I bought some of the Edge line to try last November but haven't had much chance to appraise it because the rivers have been in flood since the early december ice-flows cleared.
The float mono is nice and soft and seems quite stretchy, the 4lb 0.16 dia will probably be good for big floats and bolo fishing. A 2lb 0.12 dia would be good for light sticks off the rod end but 3lb/0.14 is the finest available.
The 4lb/0.18 sinking mono should be OK for big wagglers but I haven't used it yet. Again, I wish a finer version of 0.16 was available.
The fluro hooklength is very impressive and knots nicely, which not all of them do.
As soon as the rivers drop I'll be giving it another try.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought the Browning Black magic(?) mono on your recommendation Rob and like it in various bs to 8lb

rob48

Reaction score
Glad to hear that Mike. Quite good value as I recall.

Having said that, I think the Edge line is only about £8 or £9 for 300m which isn't bad so long as it lasts a reasonable length of time.

nottskev

Reaction score
As the man said, there's more than one way to do it.

If the reel retrieves clockwise, I put the new spool down flat so line comes off anti-clockwise. I never revolve the spool of new line, Through a rod ring and tie on the reel spool with a lasso, then reel in with the line tensioned between moistened finger and thumb - easier to feel the tension. For thick lines where the knot and tag might, although unlikely, be a problem, I'll stick a small piece of tape over them. In practice, the knot will never see the light of day til the line is changed.

For pins, I decide how much I want on the reel first. There's a park next door, so I take the reel, rod butt and line and pace out the length I want, tie the line to the reel, walk the spool that distance then walk back and reel my way up to the spool. I use a forefinger to guide the line back and to evenly across the drum, even though some say it makes no odds.

mikench

Reaction score
The Browning line is called Blackmagic Gold and comes on 680m spools for about £6. The 6.6 lbs is 0.19mm , the 8 lbs is 0.21 mm and the 4.5 is 0.17mm. Good value and quality mono imo.

treecutter

Reaction score
I use this to Spool my reels, You can adjust the tension & also rewind it back on to Spool.
received_3493214681000404.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

@Clive

Reaction score
It won't solve one of the biggest issues that I have; the line comes on spools with a recess or slit in the rim that continually catches the line when filling fixed spool reels.

treecutter

Reaction score
It won't solve one of the biggest issues that I have; the line comes on spools with a recess or slit in the rim that continually catches the line when filling fixed spool reels.
Having recess or splits on Spools don't affect this line spooler

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
I mount my reel onto the base section of a rod and thread my line through the rings and tie the line to the reel spool using an Arbour knot then I either get the wife to hold my spool with a pen through the centre, with a slight tension as I wind it onto the reel; getting her to turn the line spool around whenever line twist was starting to be evident.

If she isn’t available I drop the spool of line into a bucket of water and then pass the line through the pages of an old Phone directory to add tension and then wind the line onto the reel as before.

I recently bought myself a Line spooler gadget to hold the spool of line and release it at an adjustable tension but haven’t used it yet.

Keith

Last edited: