Lure tangling with trace

AlanWxm

Reaction score
Fishing this afternoon on the canal with a 5cm Salmo minnow and wire trace the hooks on the lure were tangling with my trace on about 50% of my casts. This is rather strange. I've used the same type of lure and trace before without any problem.

Anyone got any idea what's going on and what I need to do to minimise this issue ?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Do you use a wire trace?

The Salmo Minnow is a good fish-catcher but quite light and not the best for casting. As Clive has suggested wind can upset the lure on the cast quite easily.

I asked about wire traces as the lure is so light, sometimes a wire trace can include a swivel that is a little heavy and that can throw the assembly off balance during the cast.

Perhaps try a different lure on days where the Salmo Minnow is giving you problems?

So many lure choices these days, I found this interesting......https://www.fishmag.co.uk/perch-lures/

AlanWxm

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

There was no wind and I was using a wire trace with a light swivel and clip.. I did wonder about casting technique but as I mentioned I've not had problems before and not sure what I can change (apart from feathering which is definitely worth trying).

AlanWxm

Reaction score
Do you use a wire trace?

The Salmo Minnow is a good fish-catcher but quite light and not the best for casting. As Clive has suggested wind can upset the lure on the cast quite easily.

I asked about wire traces as the lure is so light, sometimes a wire trace can include a swivel that is a little heavy and that can throw the assembly off balance during the cast.

Perhaps try a different lure on days where the Salmo Minnow is giving you problems?

So many lure choices these days, I found this interesting......https://www.fishmag.co.uk/perch-lures/
Useful comprehensive article for a newb like me, particularly comments on winter fishing. Thanks Steve.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
The 5cm minnow only weighs 3g. it could be that this is too light for your rod to cast efficiently without having to cast hard.
if your rod is suitable for light lures I’d try a 6lb to 8lb single strand titanium trace knotted with a micro swivel on the rod end and a lightweight clip on the lure end Coupled with 8lb daiwa J braid.
ive landed pike while perch fishing on this set up to just over 18lb and a mate has had 2 twenties on the same gear.
Just a tip, in the current low temperatures I’d rather be using a floating soft plastic such as a z man trd or a korum squirmz fished on the bottom hopped as slow as possible on 3g jig head or weedless on a 3g cheb.

Last edited:

AlanWxm

Reaction score
The 5cm minnow only weighs 3g. it could be that this is too light for your rod to cast efficiently without having to cast hard.
if your rod is suitable for light lures I’d try a 6lb to 8lb single strand titanium trace knotted with a micro swivel on the rod end and a lightweight clip on the lure end Coupled with 8lb daiwa J braid.
ive landed pike while perch fishing on this set up to just over 18lb and a mate has had 2 twenties on the same gear.
Just a tip, in the current low temperatures I’d rather be using a floating soft plastic such as a z man trd or a korum squirmz fished on the bottom hopped as slow as possible on 3g jig head or weedless on a 3g cheb.
Thanks for this Phil. THe article Steve pointed me at suggests the same approach as you for this time of year. As it happens I did start the session with a creature bait, but on a dropshot rig and almost certainly hopping it too vigorously.