Lures For Bass

P

Phil Heaton

Over the past few years I have lure fished for pike and perch, is it a painless transition to lure fish for bass. I presume that the 10' Diawa spinning rod and Okuma Epix I have, loaded with 20lb braid will be suitable, but what about the lures......what do you recommend.

M

michael rouse

If fishing in a shallow channel or at short range then a rapala jointed floating.

J

jason fisher

bomber long A in all it's forms but especially mackerel

C

Chris Bishop

Tried and tried but haven't managed to cath one off the Norfolk side of The Wash yet, so can't really comment on lures.

Have you read the amazing Bass book reviewed on here somewhere - that's got a load of info, as has the BASS site.

basically they favour either floating lures a la Chug Bug, jointed Rapalas or those long thin ones (Sliver..?) which look like sandeels.

Jointed Thundersticks were also meant to be good but you can't get them at the moment, although Harris were doing a very similar lure a while back.

Biggest problems I had (apart from not catching anything...!) were casting the lure any kind of distance, especially in any kind of head wind, hooks blunting in no time (carry a sharpening stone...) and working it right in any swell - I've watched sandeels when we've disturbed them swimming off the beach here and they're very fast, I couldn't seem to get a lure to work the same way.

I'll be trying it again this summer, be interested to hear if anyone else cracks it.

alan

Reaction score
dexter lure. various sizes, i got the 1oz size, not tried it properly as ive only just got a spinnig rod, but they are the ones everyone recomends.

C

Chris Bishop

Book's called Hooked on Bass by Alan Vaughan and Mike Ladle, published by Crowood - one of the best fishing books I've ever read.

C

Chris Bishop

Dexters go out like rockets - trid thm for pike but never had anything on one of those either..!

P

Phil Heaton

I've looked on the Harris web site and they are advertising a French device which acts similar to a loaded in line bubble float, in that it adds weight to the cast and also stops the lure diving too deep.
Bearing in mind the North sea along the lincolnshire beaches in particular seem to always be well coloured due to it being so shallow, will bass detect a lure, or is a 'noisy' one preferred.

alan

Reaction score
world sea angling show a simular thing but made out of a bouncey ball.
the dexter wedge spins in the water so should work ok. there is a simular wedge to the dexter that has a hole in it that helps to attract the fish, but im not sure who makes them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

When I lived on the atlantic coast of France a fair few years ago, the locals after Bass would fish a redgill type lure behind an ordinary bubble float for distance on the cast."Bar au buldo" it was called I think.It seemed to work for them but suffice to say not for me!This sounds a cheaper version of what you are describing Phil.

M

michael rouse

Do soft plastics such as Fox Replicants work well for bass?

Reaction score
Focus on what the bass are likely to be feeding on... around now and in the west of Ireland it will be sandeels so a german sprat or silver eddystone eel / plug eel or even small delta eels will work better than any other lure. If you know what they are eating then selecting the right lure is easy. Has anyone mentioned bass bullets?