Lymm Angling Club Website

Blunderer

Reaction score
The Lymm site, www.lymmanglers.net has suddenly vanished. This was the best club website I have ever been on and was run purely as a labour of love by the sitemaster, a member called Mick Cranfield. He even funded it himself as the club refused to. The bloody philistines on the committee at Lymm AC even disassociated themselves with it and insisted it was called "An Independant Guide". The site did nothing but promote the club and pass on news.
Now I don't know what happened to the site - I know the sitemaster was recently asking if any members would sponsor the site to contribute to its upkeep - but it suddenly vanished and there is no way to get hold of the sitemaster.
So if anyone from Lymm AC is reading this, pass on the message from a member that the club were incredibly short-sighted about this website and they should be ashamed for letting it pass away.
And if anyone knows the sitemaster, pass on my thanks for a job well done.
Bloody fishing club committees, they are invariably a bunch of has-beens stuck in the 1950s.

D

Danny Lancaster

I too loved this site as I live very close to one of their waters in Orrell, Wigan so always kept a bit of an interest in the club.

I had no idea that the club had nothing to do with it. Isn't Kevin Ashurst the top bloke at Lymm??

Blunderer

Reaction score
As far as I know Kevin Ashurst has nothing to do with Lymm AC. The secratary is Neil Jupp.

fred hall

Reaction score
As a committee member myself (RADAC) I have to say that you are getting a bit carried away Blunderer. Obviously, and understandably, you are disappointed at losing a good facility but to say that puts all fishing club committees 50 years behind the times is ott. Now me,well you may have a fair point, but I know that many of my committee colleagues give a lot of their own time not to mention expense to our club. Without these stalwarts most angling clubs would be in a real mess.

Ergo

Reaction score
I second that Fred. I was at one of our local lakes and members were complaining about weed growth. One member asked why the committee hadn't been in and clear it.

I pointed out that we could get people in to do the job but we would have to put the fees up. However if he wanted to bring a rake on a rope with him next time, he would be most welcome to clear some.

People think that Angling Clubs run themselves, they don't. It is often left to a few stalwarts to do most of the work.

An angling website would be welcome by most clubs, Lymm do seem to be a little short sighted.

http://www.southdown-angling.org/

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only a suggestion.
some websites are free, and only need somebody to manage them, which Lymm obviousely had, so we are told.
There may have been reasons why the club decided to dispence with their website, I don't know.
But I am sure you gentlemen that run other clubs, will be well aware of damage that can be done to a club by careless posting, in one form or another.
These are only my personal thoughts, and may have nothing to do with why the service was diminished. I know Neil Juppe, and I'm sure he would explain if anyone bothered to ask.

K.Ashurste fished Lymm waters and was one of their better anglers. Nothing to do with the running of the club though.

G

Ged

I am a member of Lymm anglers. I am also sorry to see the site disapear. I know that Neil Juppe had messages etc put on the site for it's members. I must also point out that when Neil Juppe took over as secratary he was unemployed and so was given a wage for being secratary.

G

Ged

How many club secrataries get paid?
If Lymm can afford to pay it's secratry, then can it not also help to pay for the upkeep of a web site!
I have also notice a drop in News letters since Neil Juppe took over as secratary.
Another good reason for a web site.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know a few that get paid Ged, could you afford to work full time for nothing? Also you will probably find out any payments are decided by the committee, which you put there. The News letters are sent to members only. No club will put their busines on a website for everybody to see. I wouldn't have thought so anyhow.

G

Ged

I am a member of Lymm Anglers. And the committee did agree to pay the wage. No I did not vote in the committee as they were already in place. The last secratary did not get paid and he kept members upto date with news letters. The web site use to cover water closures due to low oxygen levels. Granted a News letter would not be quick in giving this information. On the other hand, a lot of work has gone on on some waters that not only a web site could cover, but also a news letter. I enjoy fishing Lymm waters but do have to travel some distance, there is nothing worse than to get to a chosen water to find work on it or to find it closed for whatever reason. I used to view the web site prior to making a fishing trip. Some parts where under user login.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have upset a few anglers by doing work parties when they wanted to fish. It was usually on a Sunday morning. The same few of us every time.
I knew of the last secretary, how long have you been in the club Ged?
It was usually stated in youre licence when a water would be closed for work parties. This is where members could earn an overstamp to allow them to fish certain waters before anybody else.
Phone the sec next time, to make sure you don't disturb the working party. I'm surprised you didn't get press ganged.
Do you go to the AGM?

Blunderer

Reaction score
Just to make it clear, my whinge is that Lymm Angling Club Committee refused to fund an excellent website which both promoted the club and provided members with information.
I wasn't going to go into this but I will now as others have brought it up. There are no other reliable ways to get up to the minute information from the club. One newsletter a year(!) is sent to members and there is a semi-regular column in the Warrington Local paper. Well I live miles from Warrington and couldn't get the paper if I tried, and I would hazard a guess that at least half of Lymm's 4000 members are from outside Warrington.
I am not knocking Neil, I know him and like him and he does a good job. I just think the club should have devoted some miniscule resources to the website.
If the Webmaster is out there somewhere he may tell me I am wrong and that he closed the site down for other reasons. But he definitely funded it himself and was ordered to call the site "an independant guide".
Sorry to tar all committee members with the same brush, that is probably not the case.

G

Ged

Baz, I've been in Lymm for several years. Done plenty of work parties too. Not been to any AGM's due to work commitments. Have to work nights and every other weekend. Last couple of years I've not done any work parties as most fall on my weekends at work. Used to be able to arrange work parties during the week. No one's interested now. Did one work party one year at weekend and only I turned up. Neil turned up hour and a half later. I made a style over a fence. Lymm has since given up the water.
Blunderer, I,ve no problems with Lymm apart from lack of communication, 1 news letter at membership renewal.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You have no complaint then Ged. The AGM is where to get things changed, or at least proposed, by letter if need be.
You can also phone Neil and ask for any updates on the waters or club.
There are a lot of rumors flying around at the moment, it's best to speak to the man himself.

G

Ged

Not heard of any myself Baz. As long as the fishing remains good , I'll be happy.
I have heard a few grumbles from anglers on the banks when I have been out fishing, but as yet to experience the problems that they said they have had. Not fished Lymm water since Sept.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Grumbles is normal Ged.
Now the winter is on the way, expect the rumors to start in any club.
cold weather = less fish = more rumors =nothing else to do.

G

Ged

Winter fishing. Get the pike gear out and wrap up warm. Try the rivers if not in flood or mend the tackle. Should be busy xmas shopping! Everyone needs a break. Rumors don't hurt, just actuality.

G

Ged

Blunderer. A fishing mate of mine who used to be in Lymm ordered the Warrington Gaurdian from his local Newsagent, granted it was a week out of date when he got it but at least it did provide some news.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Can anyone explain what costs there are for the upkeep of a website ???

What do you have to pay for--- and who would you pay it to????