Lymm Angling Club Website

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How about joint ownership between Warrington and Lymm, do you think it would work?

Sorry Ed, I meant to say some forum types are free.

Ergo

Reaction score
The domain name costs money, and the hosting ISP also has a charge. Yes there are some free hosting packages, but they tend to be very basic.

If you work on the theory that time is money, building and maintaining a website also has a cost. If you can't build your own website, that can have a rather large cost to get someone to do it for you.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ed,
Ergo is right in what he says about the costs of hosting a website.

We have a family website for keeping in touch with my wife's family who are all in the USA so we post pictures of the children and descriptions of what they are doing etc.

The total cost is less than a gallon of maggots a month, but this can vary depending on which ISP you use.
My wife designed the website (originally in 2 days) having bought a web package for about 30 pounds and taught herself how to design the site, and keep the site revised and updated.

One of these days I will find the time to complete my pages which (surprise, surprise) are all about fishing on the Hampshire Avon :)

J

John Hepworth

My club site: http://www.durhamanglers.co.uk/Page1.htm
costs about ?13-00/ year,hosted by Supanames, with free a co.uk domain name
( I have to use the extension because I cant get rid of the original front page)

For what it costs it has to be the most cost effective way for recruiting new members.

J

John Hepworth

However, time spent building and updating just cant be costed

J

John Hepworth

Re Building; I have 'aquired' several web design packages, some very expensive, but built the Durham site using the Serif WebPlus 8
Serif do some really good, and cheap, software.

M

matthew nightingale 2

I got our web site name (www.radac.org.uk)from Easily.com. Dead easy and it costs about ?13 for two years. Hosting costs us about ?40 per year but that comes with a shed load of features that I haven't worked out yet (such as e-mail addresses). As far as software is concerned; if you have a reasonably modern version of MS Word that'll do; as well as a photo package like Paint Shop Pro. Like others have said above you have to have the information to put on the site otherwise it becomes boring; that's a lot of work for someone to do on their own so unless the committee and members contribute web sites are liable to fold due to 'webmaster' overload.

M

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That sounds about right Mathew.
people are quick to be critical, but slow to offer any help.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Baz
If that comment is aimed at my original post.....
I was probably the biggest content contributor to the Lymm Anglers site.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No it wasn't aimed at you mate, it was for people in general who moan about work parties, not doing it at more appropriate times, or lack of bailiffing or anything else to do with the running of a club. But do not offer their services.

J

John Hepworth

As with most things in life Blunderer, people are always happy to let others do the work.

The amount of input I have had from my club members for the site is almost zero.
I have asked for members who fish a club lake to give me catch details, I have had just two over the last two years. Just a note through the door would do, every member that fishes the water HAS to pass my house so no one has to go out of their way. However, the same people are the first to complain about anything.

The only news we ever receive bout river catches is 3rd hand through Anging Times.
The tackle shops get to know before the club does.

Andy S

Reaction score
As a member of Lymm AC I used to use the site several times a week as it provided lots of invaluable information. Indeed I only joined Lymm AC because I stumbled accross the website and having seen pictures and info on all the waters it held I knew I had to join.

The site was incredibly well made and contained everything from message forums to a live logon catch reports system. This was great because as a member you could logon and get an instant idea of what waters had been fishing well. Even things like Work Parties were discussed on the forums. You could tell from the quality of the website that many hours of coding had gone into creating and maintaining it.

It did used to strike me as odd how the actual club used to distance themselves from the website, which did nothing but promote the club. I just assumed that the board were probably not bothered about things like the Internet and modern technology and believed they didn't need a website.

Well i'd just like to thank Mick Cranfield, (the site owner - not that he'll probably ever see this), for providing such a great website. Also Neils weekly report to the Warrington paper can be viewed from the warrington papers website online, isn't technology great!!! Here's the link:

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/cheshire/warrington/angling/WARRINGTON_ANGLING1.html

Blunderer

Reaction score
Andy
My original point exactly.
Do I know you? Or do I know you from the message board?

Andy S

Reaction score
Blunderer
I certainly recognise your name having read some cracking stories on the forum. I used to post the odd message and was a regular to the live reports page but posted under the nickname, Scholesy.

Ive just had a look at the Lymm site and it now says a new site is under development. This is great news and it would be even better news if we learnt it now had some form of backing from the club itself, I doubt that however.