Main line

D

David Will

GR60 every time.If the price offends then Daiwa Sensor.
Sufix is a line i stopped using a couple of seasons back.I used 15lb for Piking , i may have had a rogue spool but it broke on the strike!

R

Rob Brownfield

Sensor is good, Big Game never let me down, Suffix, well..I found it went very strange after its first outing, very springy. Strange

A

Andy Thatcher

I have been using GR60 in 6/8/10 & 12 for all my fishing. Cracking good line, well not cracking as in the parting sense more very good.
I am going to give Fireline a go for barbel this season but I am already having misgivings after a tench session this week !

Oh Leslies are doing a 2 for 1 deal on GR60 that eases the pain, well a little.

P

Paul Williams

Andy,
I tried braid for barbel...i can see no reason for it though, close range and rod wrentching bites on mono,i couldn't see any advantages, perhaps rollin a bait down a big wide river may see a use for it but failing that i think it more of a worry than an aid.....friends use it though so it can suit some.

B

Birds Nest

I'd never want to go that light for tench either... Was just passing on my thoughts..

C

Chris Bishop

I use braids nearly all the time now, Fireline in 20 or 30lb for most run of the mill fishing and low dia 30lb Whiplash for trotting.

Pete W's right about twin braids - ie the ones with an inner core and an outer layer. Avoid them like the plague, as the slightest nick renders them lethal.

I'm surprised it hasn't caught on more with the all-rounders among us. I must admit it took a season to get used to but it lets you do things you'd never get away with using mono.

There's a lot to be said for the security of knowing that there's no way a fish is ever going to break you - it has to be the only true safety rig.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, I've had a few problems with Fireline snapping for no apparent reason when piking. I use the 30lb stuff and I am fishing over a sand bottom as about 100 yards (I walk the bait out). I set the hooks beautifully, but have had 2 snap ups. Bloody annoying as i cant work out why

C

Chris Bishop

Never known it happen with bait fishing, in fact I've only ever managed to break the 30lb once and that was on a snag. Lure fishing really canes braids and wears them out a lot faster, but again I've never managed to snap it.

Did it get a kink or a wind knot in it..?

D

David Will

I like Berkley Whiplash in 30lb for Piking from the boat with multipliers and 50lb for lures again with multipliers.Of the braids I have tried (numerous) this is the best.
The only other time i use braid is for long distance Roaching with feeders , but i use a nylon shockleader. This braid is 8lb Drennan Bream braid.No probs so far.
I used to use braid on my barbel reels but stopped after breaking two expensive quivertips.
The bites on nylon are just as good and i do not get palpatations when a good fish is under the rod top.

G

gary magee

Has any one tried the power gom feeder links their brilliant when using braid they come in 2 sizes -size 1 for roach and bream ect and size 2(carp bungees) for carp and heavy feeder work.They really take the risk out of cracking off and pulling out on the strike and does away with the need for mono shock leaders which are a pain when using Q-tips with small eyes.

S

Steve Plant

Nobody has mentioned Terry Eustaces' Pro-Gold. I've used it since it was first brought out several years ago, both as hooklengths for tench/bream/chub in strains of 3lb upwards, also as main line; 6, 8, 10, 12 & 15lb strains for everything from chub & barbel through to carp, pike & catfish. A very honest & reliable line, well behaved on the spool so it does not spring around everywhere and also long lasting. Although I've dabbled with other lines out of curiosity (most recently Sufix Synergy), Pro-Gold is a line I would always be confident in returning to.