Marks Hall fishery Rochford Kent

mikench

Reaction score
I read this fishery is closed for three weeks as a result Of a seal getting in and eating £3,000 pounds worth of fish, mainly carp catfish and bream. It’s also started to eat ducks. Attempts to capture it have failed. I know what I would do.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Just been on the BBC news, seems it evades attempts to capture it, maybe a sleepy sleepy dart in it's fat rump, and a ride in a van to the coast?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Update on the Essex Seal “Nelson” ..

Seems like “Nelson” has had its chips :

Grey seal numbers have increased by ridiculous amounts in the last decade, to the detriment of stocks of inshore fish!

At one time a % of them would be culled which protected those fish stocks for humans. Whatever you think of that it led to fewer but healthier grey seals!

When grey seals numbers reached almost plague proportions a couple of decades ago, nature sorted the problem. If seal colonies get too large they overlap, any disease then spreads rampant and a balance of numbers is restored. I think the last time this occured the disease was canine distemper.

Hunger probably led this seal to that lake. It is lack of food inshore that will lead to weak seals being more susceptible to disease - then numbers will decrease and the cycle will be complete - again!

Perhaps sea anglers will catch a few fish inshore sometime? :unsure:

Last edited: