Maver MV-R Reel

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Anyone using the above reel? On the look out for a feeder reel, weighing in the region of 250-300g and 3-5k in size - depending on the manufacturer. The line going on will be 4-8lb I expect.

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry no but have a look at the Browning Sphere CVT as it’s light and very capable. It’s around £100 . I use it for the float as well. The Daiwa Emcast L&T in any size ( I have the 4000) is also small and light and is a great baitrunner.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Browning Sphere CFT 4500 is 265g Shimano Aero XR 5000 is 271g 54mm (both with line and the Shimano spool reducers fitted). Somehow, presumably down to the weight distribution, the Browning feels slightly heavier when held by the foot/stem (not that it makes a shred of difference once it's strapped to a rod).

The spool diameter (across the lip) is 53mm (CFT) and 54mm (XR), so they are broadly comparable in size despite the numbering suggesting otherwise.

However, if your idea of a feeder reel is a bigger diameter, long nosed spool with slow oscillation meant for extreme distances, these don't fit the bill. You will likely struggle to find a reel that meets your weight criteria. It's also worth noting that neither reel has a quick drag (QD).

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Browning Sphere CFT 4500 is 265g Shimano Aero XR 5000 is 271g 54mm (both with line and the Shimano spool reducers fitted). Somehow, presumably down to the weight distribution, the Browning feels slightly heavier when held by the foot/stem (not that it makes a shred of difference once it's strapped to a rod).

The spool diameter (across the lip) is 53mm (CFT) and 54mm (XR), so they are broadly comparable in size despite the numbering suggesting otherwise.

However, if your idea of a feeder reel is a bigger diameter, long nosed spool with slow oscillation meant for extreme distances, these don't fit the bill. You will likely struggle to find a reel that meets your weight criteria. It's also worth noting that neither reel has a quick drag (QD).
I don't really need the range. This is for small to medium range stuff, so the big diameter isn't really essential.