Meet Paul, our newest TT member!

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Paul James. I moved down from Sunderland, in the cold northeast, to the slightly warmer area of Weston super Mare, Somerset, 34 years ago.

I have been fishing over forty-six years as it is one of my guilty pleasures, as well as my love for Rugby. I started my fishing at the age of eight. Where I would go to the pier in Sunderland and go sea fishing with friends and family. I would go and try and catch all types of fish, such as Plaice, Herring, and Mackerel. On occasions I would go out with my great uncle on his trawler boat. He was deeply knowledgeable, and he would pass his knowledge on to others as well as myself. He showed me how and when it was the best time of day to go and try to catch fish on the river and the beach.

I had to stand back from fishing for a while. When I joined the armed forces. This was only because my battalion had to deployed to different countries around the world, but I still managed, when I had the chance, to go fishing, in fantastic places like Cyprus, Kenya and Germany.

After leaving the Armed forces I was lucky enough to join the Avon and Somerset Constabulary. Where I had the honour to meet Dave and Carrie. I also met my wife, Melanie.

I started my fishing again with my father-in-law, where we decided to try fly fishing. We used to go to a local fishing pond in Nailsea, Somerset, so we could get the practice in and hopefully catch trout. After several years, we later took the plunge and tried fishing Blagdon Lake in Somerset, where we fished from the shoreline to see if we could catch anything.

I did return to the Northeast and see my family and I was fortunate to take a couple of my rods along with me. I would fish the River Wear in county Durham where I was lucky enough to catch a couple of trout. I have also had the privilege of trying salmon fishing up in Northumberland, but I failed. On the second occasion I was taken to an incredibly quiet spot where I had a fantastic day, and I was able to catch a substantial size salmon.

Myself and the rest of family would go to Florida, and whilst there, we had a go at saltwater fishing, and if we were lucky we would catch sea trout and snook, but the downside was you had to keep an eye out for croc’s lurking around.

I have been fly fishing for nearly eighteen years now. Since I am semi-retired from the Avon and Somerset constabulary, I will have a bit more time on my hands so I will be able to continue my fishing.

It is an absolute pleasure to be working with two exceptionally good friends again, and it’s an honour to be part of Thomas Turner Fishing (Fish and Fly Ltd).

The post Meet Paul, our newest TT member! appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...