Method and hybrid feeders!

rayner

Reaction score
When these feeders turned up the were very good fish catches. Then it appeared fish backed away from them on pressured waters.
My approach altered to fish bomb with generally pellets or other hook baits, my catches improved dramatically with careful feeding, not the way some were offering in youtube videos. They were over-egging the pudding spraying pellets over their bomb line that appeared counterproductive. I was doing quite well with a more cautious approach. Perhaps the stocking in the waters fished by those making the videos was heavier than the water I was fishing.
It was evident too many loose offerings killed the swim.
There was a new initiative by Sonu baits that advocated putting the hook bait in the feeder mould last placing the hook bait deep on the feeder to prevent the hook bait from coming off on the cast or in deep water.
That may help over putting the hook bait in the feeder mould first, leaving the hook bait on top of the baited feeder. I thought that could be a good idea bar for the way I load the method/hybrid feeder putting the hook bait deep in the loaded feeder. The fishery I use has fished well with feeders with ground bait rather than pellets.
The only real change that made a noticeable difference with an increase in hookups was to shorten the hook length. My hook lengths for method/hybrid feeders are now all 2 inches long instead of 4 inches. My change of hook length came after watching a video showing how Jamie Hughes fishes the bomb. As usual, his videos make me think.
I would be interested to know how others use these feeders.

mikench

Reaction score
I use the Guru hybrid feeders with elasticated stems in all sizes almost exclusively when feeder fishing. I use QM1 banded or bait stop hooks to nylon(4") in sizes 12 or 14. I use 2mm micros and bury the hookbait within. Latterly I have been using successfully Mainline Cell 8mm pellets in a band with 4 or 6mm as loosefeed. I have my share of blanks though despite varying the hook bait with my smorgasbord of fishy delights. My usual MO is to start on the feeder and switch to the float if i am not catching and Gordon is.??

nottskev

Reaction score
You're way ahead of me on this one Gary - I'm still not sure if I can get micros dead right. And I'd rather there's nobody around if I'm trying to cast to the clip right up against a bank or island. My excuse is I don't do it much. I think I saw a J Hughes vid where he was putting his hookbait as close as possible to the top of the little pile of feed - so they find the bait sooner and he gets bites more quickly. The man stops at nothing; every detail is thought through. He also, like you, is sparing with feed - he reckons too many fish in the swim causes problems. I've always thought, so far as I thought about it, the more fish you attract, usually, the better. Makes you think.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Interesting post!

One thing I have noticed on waters I fish, that fall into the ‘heavily pressured’ category this year is that maggots have out fished pellets for me. Why this is, I don’t know?

I haven’t done a great deal of feeder fishing this year, but I’d be considering groundbait on the feeder and maggots on the hook rather than my usual micros / pellet if I had.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Another alternative is to load the feeder with 4mm pellets. Unfortunately, even more difficult to get the pellets prepared right but presenting something to the fish that they have not become accustomed to avoid.

rayner

Reaction score
Casting to a line clip! I was struggling with this until I relaxed my grip on the rod before the feeder hits the water, holding the rod with a lightly closed hand, not a tight grip helps the feeder land with no bounce back. Effectively the rod pulls forward softening the cast. It is more tricky for me to cast a light 10-gram bomb than a thirty-gram one.
I suspect fish have seen micros clamped around a feeder too often so are cautious. I have tried to use 4mm pellets but failed miserably. I will try again with a double soak, I use a double soak for micros.
Softening micros, I time the soak, I soak for 30 seconds drain off all the water, leave for 15 minutes then soak the micros for 20 seconds. this works every time with any micros I get from the tackle shop. For soaking, I use a net. Pellets do dry through the day, a wet hand keeps them in good condition for sticking to the feeder.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's funny - using ordinary groundbait feeders in the past, I could usually just feather and dab the reel so as to more or less lower the feeder in gently. Now I need to use the clip to keep the feed on a method feeder, it's suddenly got harder! Still, it's not like I use one more than a few times a year. Thanks for the soaking tip - last couple of times I used a bag of these "sticky" micros, and sprayed them with an atomiser of flavoured water till they seemed right and topped it up if they got dry, but it may be they weren't soaked through. I'm definitely a bit of an old beginner at this game.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I don't know who's idea it was doing the double soak, it's certainly not an idea I can take credit for. I picked it up off youtube. Usually, awful clips on the tube have the odd tip that I steal. It is a bit of a task sometimes to spot them, they are sometimes there.
I tried the sticky micros, I don't like them because the feeder sometimes comes back with pellets still on the feeder. I like a few mixed in with soaked micros that appear to be OK. If we ever stop learning Kev it would be my time to give up.

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't know who's idea it was doing the double soak, it's certainly not an idea I can take credit for. I picked it up off youtube. Usually, awful clips on the tube have the odd tip that I steal. It is a bit of a task sometimes to spot them, they are sometimes there.
I tried the sticky micros, I don't like them because the feeder sometimes comes back with pellets still on the feeder. I like a few mixed in with soaked micros that appear to be OK. If we ever stop learning Kev it would be my time to give up.

Ah! My feeder came back with the layer below the rim (Guru hybrid) still on. So much so the fish would need a knife and fork to get them off. Obviously needs a re-think.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
An alternative way to approach this is to use volumes rather than time.

For Skrettings micros a 2:2:1 ratio of micros: water: groudbait will be close to what you are looking for every time. (Mix the dry ingredients first, add water, stir and leave for at least 15 mins.

Coppens take a little more care. Depending on the batch they have a clay- like substance sometimes which has 2 states, dry and mush. It even takes an age to gouge them out of your feeder.

As you get further into the ‘art form’ you can mix the two types to adjust for depth etc.

I also like the double soak method and a vegetable net from Sainsburys makes a lovely squeezable pellet wetter at a fraction of the price of the tackle shop ones.

rayner

Reaction score
Strange how many different versions there are for soaking pellets. On youtube, there can be as many different ways for soaking as there are clips.
The Sainsbury's veg bags have been difficult to get locally. I use a net that my wife gets with her shoes to keep the shoes separated in shoe boxes. Fine landing net mesh was used before then. I would never buy a pellet wetter, Des can get stuffed. Pellet wetters are a good idea, a net is better.
I have tried mixing both skrettings and Coppens, I couldn't get on with them, if I need pellets now usually in spring I start with micros.

nottskev

Reaction score
I had to look up Sainsburys Vegetable Nets - always like a bit of lateral thinking. Do you pellet-wetters know people use them in the wash to keep control of their socks and stop their bra's tangling?

How long before PI start to sell us Pellet Water to soak them in? After all, we anglers are the Arabs and Eskimos who can be sold sand and snow.

nottskev

Reaction score
They already are doing Kev with pellet soaks. I must admit I buy them.

I'm way off the pace with this method feeder stuff. :)

Come to think of it, I did use an atomiser with caramel (Aromix) water when I tried spraying sticky micros.

Do you think we'll end up with fish like my neighbour's cat - won't look at catfood, only Waitrose and Taste the Difference delicacies?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I'm way off the pace with this method feeder stuff. :)

Come to think of it, I did use an atomiser with caramel (Aromix) water when I tried spraying sticky micros.

Do you think we'll end up with fish like my neighbour's cat - won't look at catfood, only Waitrose and Taste the Difference delicacies?
My experience this year has been that maggots and the older and stinkier ones have been the best bait!

rayner

Reaction score
I buy the odd additive from so-called reputable companies mostly through boredom, I get tempted or conned not quite sure.
If anyone ever as an additive that is proven they would make a fortune.
The only thing about fresh maggots is they last longer.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I buy the odd additive from so-called reputable companies mostly through boredom, I get tempted or conned not quite sure.
If anyone ever as an additive that is proven they would make a fortune.
The only thing about fresh maggots is they last longer.
Bizarrely at my local tackle shop, supplied by Willy Worms, dead maggots are more expensive than live ones.

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, deads are £2.30 locally in three shops lives are £2.00 that is all the shops. They have to keep the price down to attract custom.
Not many areas have maggots at such a competitive price.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Strange how many different versions there are for soaking pellets. On youtube, there can be as many different ways for soaking as there are clips.
The Sainsbury's veg bags have been difficult to get locally. I use a net that my wife gets with her shoes to keep the shoes separated in shoe boxes. Fine landing net mesh was used before then. I would never buy a pellet wetter, Des can get stuffed. Pellet wetters are a good idea, a net is better.
I have tried mixing both skrettings and Coppens, I couldn't get on with them, if I need pellets now usually in spring I start with micros.
No Sainsbury's net, ?I think Tesco's are doing them as well.
Of not cut the leg off a pair of tights to required length.

rich66

Reaction score
Sonu baits krill 2mm feed pellets have done well on the feeder this year for me. I only use the guru hybrid feeders now, find they are easier to use. Double sweetcorn has been the best bait combo. I’ll change it about and use brown crumb with a 8mm pellet usually a Robin. As it’s got colder I mix brown crumb and micros until it’s nearly all crumb
I’ve never tried casting on the clip the waters I fish I can easily flick a feeder to the island, with reasonable accuracy