monnow/wye pike

G

Gray Catchpole

darrell cook and my self fished the river monnow at the point where it and the river wye meet, in monmouth, we went with the intention of catching a few pike.
monmouth is a very pretty part of the country, and the river was even better looking, a nice mist was on the water when we arived, i took a couple of pictures, and we set about getting our rods sorted.

we had a few baits with us, frozen roach, sprats, and lamprey, the lamprey did the job, i had one droped run, darrell had a nice pike on, but lost it, that was a shame because the way his rod was going it looked like a big fish, towards the end of the day, we where sat having a cuppa, and i noticed my rod tip banging slightly, my alarm didnt go of so i walked over to the rod, felt the lineand there was the smallest of nudges, so i wound down, and struck into a small pike of around 3lb, it was a great day, and cant wait to go back when the river is fishing well.

does anyone else fish this stretch for pike if so any usefull tips?

thanks

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Gray

I fish the Wye in Monmouth above the rowing club. Not for pike, but for chub. What I do know though that might be helpful is that when the Wye is pushing through after rain big shoals of dace move into the mouth of the Monnow. And where there are big shoals of silver fish there are pike also. So fish the mouth of the Monnow when the Wye is in flood and you could find some big 'urns in residence.

G

Gray Catchpole

thanks dave
thats what we did friday, im sure il be back for another go thanks dave