Monofilament in pike country?

Borderline

Reaction score
Hoping (ha-ha) to do some spinning for perch/chub/trout/anything at some point on a light rod and reel.
Not looking to hook pike but they do of course inhabit the waters.
I'd rather be using mono than wire traces for lightness, but just how durable is mono?

john step

Reaction score
Hoping (ha-ha) to do some spinning for perch/chub/trout/anything at some point on a light rod and reel.
Not looking to hook pike but they do of course inhabit the waters.
I'd rather be using mono than wire traces for lightness, but just how durable is mono?
It aint.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I’m spinning for Perch in an area that I know produces the very occasional Jack then I use ‘thin and supple’ ready made wire traces of around 12 to 18 inches long which some tackleshops sell.

I have used cannelle wondertress before too (see link below) which is very supple.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
If I’m spinning for Perch in an area that I know produces the very occasional Jack then I use ‘thin and supple’ ready made wire traces of around 12 to 18 inches long which some tackleshops sell.

I have used cannelle wondertress before too (see link below) which is very supple.

Keith
Keith and others considering a Wonder Tress order.
I have been told and I also think I remember reading that Wonder Tress has been changed and those wire filaments in it are no longer there.
I do know of a UK tackle shop that has stopped stocking it due to this change which makes it unsafe for pike.

The old wonder Tress was a great product. I bought a batch from France when it was the old safe stuff. Unfortunately I am coming to the end of it.

Anyone wanting thin supple wire trace material would do worse than looking at the AGM Tackle website.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Last year I made the mistake of believing what I had read and used hard fluorocarbon for a short biting trace to a rubber shad lure.

After just six casts I had a savage take, followed by a heavy, short run. Then that sick click as the trace was bitten clean through!

I had hoped for a zander, that fish felt more like a good pike. By my age I should have known better than to follow fashion!

Back to wire for me from now on, there is plenty of choice!

John Aston

Reaction score
Nylon and flouro gets bitten through by pike - a fact which some of the more delusional perch 'experts' on YouTube seem to be in denial of .It is really very simple - if the method you are using is likely to attract pike more than very occasionally , and pike are foreseeably present , then use a trace .QED .

I use traces for all jig and Cheb fishing as pike are a constant risk. I use dropshot worm a lot in winter and find that pike are very rarely encountered, so risk it with 12lb Yasei flouro which allegedly is extremely 'abrasion resistant and teeth of predators'. Which is demonstrable bollocks , but it is tougher than some .

Wire has come a long way. Yet again I will recommend the wonderful Surflon knottable wire , which I use in 11lb bs . I have caught literally hundreds of perch using it . Not cheap, but I don't use long traces - typically 8/10" max and it has never been a problem.

ian g

Reaction score
funnily enough I hooked and landed the same jack pike a couple of times on Sunday , float fishing worms catching in the scissors both times . I use wire when lure fishing

Borderline

Reaction score
Well that just shows how much faith you should place in some of the youtube warriors!
as a nod to my senility I meant to type fluorocarbon and put mono instead. d'oh!
light traces it is then!

Aknib

Reaction score
Trace every time, i've been down the same route as i'm sure have many of my brothers of the angle.

You could experiment with various traces, i've had the American springy type stuff along with our own grown super thin titanium traces and I honestly can't say any offered an edge in my experience.

Drennan Soft Strand (or whatever it's called) in 10lb every time for me, just wish it was more readily available

john step

Reaction score
Because I have almost run out of the Wonder Tress safe version I made up a few traces today for tomorrows river session with wire.
Not any old wire but one that is not that well known and may be ignored by many who might assume it is too cheap to be any good.
It is marketed by a fringe seller called Fladon. Before dismissing this consider.
It comes on a reel of varying strengths supplied with a batch of crimps. Most important the wire is covered with green plastic.
I am convinced this gives it an edge insofar as the pike will "taste/detect" a metal wire much more.
Try it and see.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
To be pike tooth proof, flouro has to be 80 lb b/s as a minimum, although it’s clear, it would be too stiff for small lures, ditto the single strand titanium traces I use for large pike lures. I would go for the most supple wire I could find in a b/s near the strength of your mainline. I have landed a fair few pike on light flouro leaders when fishing for perch but if pike prove troublesome I would use a wire trace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: