Mortimer and Whitehouse, BBC 2, 29 December

keora

Reaction score
For the first time since the series started, I found last night's programme boring towards the end. It's not good TV to see two oldies talking about their medical conditions. They should stick to the fishing theme. What do other forum members think?

Nomad1

Reaction score
The whole premise of the program was about Paul Whitehouse getting his mate out in the fresh air after Bob‘s heart attack. I’ve enjoyed the series, a non angler & an experienced angler in some lovely settings trying to raise awareness of healthy eating, having a laugh & trying to catch a few fish along the way.
If it’s pure fishing that people want on TV they can always watch some of the carp angling 💩 on other channels or there’s plenty on YouTube. I’m happy that there’s any coarse fishing on main stream TV - the type that I do & understand, anyway. I hope there’s another series in the offing.

The bad one

Reaction score
Personally I enjoyed it, but I have a kinship with both of them Bad health, bad knees bad heart and probably much more. Not sure how old you are Keora, but that's what men of that age do all the time, talk about their crap health.
There was a time when men didn't talk about their failing health and look where that got us? Dead on average 20 years before the women.
One only has to look at the Ailment thread 62 pages long of oldish men bleating on about their crap health.
I see it as a positive step forward that two celebrities are prepared to talk about it on TV in front of a camera whilst fishing.
And let be honest here, Anglers per se are no athletes or temples of good living.

Aknib

Reaction score
I've not seen the episode yet but will catch up with it, I have noted on previous occasions where their medical issues have cropped up but it didn't really bother me in any way and I kind of thought they were generally interwoven with the main theme of the programme.

peterjg

Reaction score
Overall I enjoyed it but there's too much fly fishing.

keora

Reaction score
Thank you for comments. I know that Paul W persuaded Bob M to go fishing to recuperate from an operation, and the bank side therapy ended up on TV ( I think there's been five series ). My view is still that devoting so much of the Christmas edition to talking about medical problems lowers the entertainment value of the programme.

nottskev

Reaction score
I haven't watched that episode yet. I generally enjoy it, and them. The world is full of straightforward fishing videos for those who want that, and tv is full of ratings-chasing unreal, irrelevant tosh with meaningless entertainment values, so nice to see a fishing-based programme with humorous, personal, contemplative sides that shines a warm light on some of the beauties and pleasures of fishing. For me, it's all the better for being neither a typical fishing show nor a typical tv programme, and for creating a space for two oldies with medical conditions - who, if they aren't now, thinks they won't be, too? - to talk about their lives. I can see why the underlying theme - mortality - sits oddly in the shiny, happy (but fictional murder-obsessed) tv world.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The biggest consideration is that there are more non-anglers watching than anglers so it is as much for their enjoyment as ours, if an angler wants more angling content then YouTube awaits, trouble is there is much is p1ss poor recording and narration quality....

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
There was to much emphasise on health issues. Rob and Paul are only in the mid sixties if you were listening to them on radio and had no idea of their ages you would think they were well into their eighties. As a consequence i didn't find the programme very uplifting and slightly depressing. The positive from the show IMO were the places where they stayed.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
But Hugh, they have had the stents and the health issues, they aren't lying, it's their story, if it's not one you want to hear and you want a fairy tale ending it's not going to happen, because that isn't life sadly, because life can be bloody depressing, very much so in fact...

nottskev

Reaction score
I just watched the latest Gone Fishing.
The programme is 59mins.
Medical matters occupy a bit less than 5 mins:
1 minute or so, woman from Two Doors Down, and the "Snipers' Alley" of the sixties.
2 minutes on the Hypochondria Awards, played for laughs.
1 minute or so on Bob's Bad Year and his leg.
I can't really see why anybody would take exception to that proportion.
(Anyone want their rod weighing, let me know.)

GT56

Reaction score
In the last episode I watched, Bob Mortimer returned after a nasty bout of Shingles and whilst he didn't look or move very well it was also his account of the illness that shocked me. So much so that I enquired about the Shingles vaccination as I understood from the television advertising campaign that as I was over 65 I was eligible for the vaccine. I was told that as I was already over 65 I would have to wait until I was 70 for the vaccination. So it would seem that I'm in the strange position of being too old and too young for the vaccine at the same time. Now I'm way far more interested in the fishing side of the programme believing it highlights angling and old men in a positive light to the many non-anglers who watch. However, on this occasion I would have liked Paul and Bob to be aware of the Shingles vaccination situation as I'm sure their opinions would have been interesting.

mikench

Reaction score
You are eligible now if you turned 65 on or after 1 September 2023. Otherwise you have to wait until 70 unless you have a suppressed immune system. There is a lot of chicken pox about so I will get it asap.

nottskev

Reaction score
In the last episode I watched, Bob Mortimer returned after a nasty bout of Shingles and whilst he didn't look or move very well it was also his account of the illness that shocked me. So much so that I enquired about the Shingles vaccination as I understood from the television advertising campaign that as I was over 65 I was eligible for the vaccine. I was told that as I was already over 65 I would have to wait until I was 70 for the vaccination. So it would seem that I'm in the strange position of being too old and too young for the vaccine at the same time. Now I'm way far more interested in the fishing side of the programme believing it highlights angling and old men in a positive light to the many non-anglers who watch. However, on this occasion I would have liked Paul and Bob to be aware of the Shingles vaccination situation as I'm sure their opinions would have been interesting.

That aspect of the phased roll-out is indeed frustrating for people caught "in-between".
I had shingles a couple of years back. Luckily, I had clear symptoms, the doc diagnosed it over the phone the same day, and I was given some meds (sorry - forget exactly what) which, if taken promptly, limit the damaging effects. A friend whose doctor dithered really copped it, and 18 months later still has big problems with neuralgia-type symptoms and the mood-changing effects of the meds he's been given. For what it's worth, I found an inexpensive infra-red lamp a big help in clearing up the blistering rash, one of the symptoms.
If you're over 65 and under 70, you'll still be eligible if you have an immune system suppressed for any reason. I asked about the jab - the chance of getting shingles twice is about the same as getting it the first time - was told at first I was ineligible, but accepted when I pointed out the meds I use for rheumatoid arthritis are immune-suppressant.

chevin4

Reaction score
But Hugh, they have had the stents and the health issues, they aren't lying, it's their story, if it's not one you want to hear and you want a fairy tale ending it's not going to happen, because that isn't life sadly, because life can be bloody depressing, very much so in fact...
Alan of course they are not lying and their health issues have already been covered in previous series I know life can be depressing and I have great empathy with your situation. I watch TV for a variety of reasons one of which is to be entertained each to their own but personally I found the programme somewhat depressing. If you enjoyed the programme great.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
It isn't what I find enjoyable Hugh, it's the viewing figures, I mean, for God's sake people watch all the soaps and reality TV garbage, it ISNT a fishing programme, its an entertainment programme with a little bit of fishing in it, some people watch operations being done, or A & E with others in pain, well good luck with that, I know people suffer, I don't need to watch them doing it....(enjoy your fishing today, Hugh and I are talking via text as I post this, quite surreal)....

The bad one

Reaction score
Watched the programme twice now and enjoyed it both times. I'd agree with Alan it's an entertainment prog first and foremost with some fishing in it. Made in my view in a nice way!
Paul's reminiscences of Salmon fishing with his dad was up there with the best of stories. I love anglers telling angling tails and listening to them. Put 5 or 6 anglers in a tap room and let them go about fishing, it will be one of the best nights of laughter you'll have.