multiplier reels

T

tim battman

i have just bought a multiplier for pike fishing with lures (i know this section is for sea fishing)but i thought you guys could give me some pointers on using this type of reel it is a masterline six shooter.any help gratefully accepted

J

jason fisher

what do you want to know, it's a mag drag isn't it,
1)dont over load the spool, multipliers can bite if you do and the only thing you can do is spend hours unpicking the birds nest with a pin,
2) when you start turn the mag up full and then adjust it down wards each time you cast untill it just begins to over run. (see point 1 for consequences of starting too low). then put it up half a notch.
3) keep it clean crud getting into the spool will soon kill it.
4) keep the bearings well oiled this does not mean flooding them with oil too much will slow the spool.
5) keep your eye on the sea fishing mags they do good articles on tuning multipliers for distance casting.
6) you could have asked this question in the pike fishing section i would have found it quicker

T

tim battman

thank you for the answers you gave very much needed as i was getting frustrated as the so called maual that came with the reel is crap, not a picture to show what the parts are for thickos like me ,it would have been a lot easier.

C

Chris Bishop

Rule of thumb is set the drag so the lure will drop, pulling line from the spool, if you disengage it with the rod held out at right angles, but stop as soon as the lure hits the ground.

Dave Lumb's got a brilliant website about using multipliers, you can get to it from www.dlst.co.uk

No contest as far as lure fishing's concerned.

C

Chris Bishop

You have to cut and paste that into your browser, I can't remember how to do links.