My Gaster..

The Sogster

Reaction score
...is well and truly flabbered.

Popped in my local independent tackle shop today for a few bits, realised I needed some new elastic for my ancient drennan groundbait catty.
Enquired about such, yes we have that £4.50.
That's right £4.50 for two 8 inch pieces of flaming elastic! I can't print my reply there'd be more stars than 'Old Glory'.
Don't think I paid that much for the original catapult.

I know it's not the shop owner, but shame on the manufacturers and rrp.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I recently paid about 6 euros for replacement elastic on my Fox Rangemaster catty. That was supposed to be the "discount" price!

All these little bits 'n pieces seem excessively priced now, so much plastic seems to have "gold" valuation for weight!

My last little order for three packets of hooks and three packets of plastic bits for end rigs came to over 30 euros. At least with that I got free postage!

On the credit side though, some of these bits are really well made for their task, the hooks in particular are remarkably strong for their size.....and SHARP!

mikench

Reaction score
Annoyingly the plastic frame of the city lasts years but the elastic only a matter of months. On sunny days I keep my caty under cover as it’s UV rays which causes it to perish.

nottskev

Reaction score
It perishes in the dark, too. I took a Drennan Soft G'bait catty - black elastic - out of a box in a cupboard and found it had perished there. Tackle bits are dear these days - I paid £4.50 each for packets of hooks today. Accessories like luggage and bits for seatboxes are shocking prices. But then, a pint in a pub is £4.50 plus.

Keith M

Reaction score
The last couple of times I changed my Drennan catapult elastic I also bought it for £1 from the £1 Fishing Tackle site that Clive showed above; and it does the job admirably.
( and I’m not from Yorkshire either :) )

Keith

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I started buying catty elastic from China off of fleabay,you buy it by the metre...care has to be taken as to the strength of it,it is usually too pokey,it took me a couple of attempts to find one that suited my catty,now I have plenty,funny I've never had a problem with elastic perishing,I've got some well over ten years,still perfect...

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Elastic is a funny material. I've had pole elastic last years in top kits and catch hundreds of pounds of fish. I've gone to fit elastic stored in the traditional cool dark place and found it unusable. Catapult elastic has also proved quite unpredictable. I err on the cautious side with both.

@Clive

Reaction score
I find similar issues with latex lures and fake maggots, etc. Some are OK for ever and others dissolve into a sticky mess within a couple of months.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
A thought! .......about rubber perishing. :unsure:

Modern rubber is probably a complex plastic, not likely to be natural rubber these days.

Over the last decade I have had two pairs of shoes with "rubber" cushioned soles that literally fell apart when I used them. Both pairs were good black shoes saved for special occasions (weddings, funerals etc)

That happened as I walked from the car to a church, most embarrassing! I attended the funeral with well aired feet and had to nip home for new shoes to attend the wake!

I have had similar shoes (same brand even) that have been worn regularly and lasted many, many years.

My thought......it is the plasticisers in the material that cause the degradation! Normal use the plasticisers are being used and excess works it way out into the atmosphere.

Unused for months the same plasticisers break down the whole material.

Well, that's my thought - for what it is worth!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I find similar issues with latex lures and fake maggots, etc. Some are OK for ever and others dissolve into a sticky mess within a couple of months.
You need a "worm proof" lure box, Clive......and don't mix different brands of plastic lures in the same box.

I have had boxes melted and wasted plenty of lures before I learnt that! :eek:

@Clive

Reaction score
A thought! .......about rubber perishing. :unsure:

Modern rubber is probably a complex plastic, not likely to be natural rubber these days.

Over the last decade I have had two pairs of shoes with "rubber" cushioned soles that literally fell apart when I used them. Both pairs were good black shoes saved for special occasions (weddings, funerals etc)

That happened as I walked from the car to a church, most embarrassing! I attended the funeral with well aired feet and had to nip home for new shoes to attend the wake!

I have had similar shoes (same brand even) that have been worn regularly and lasted many, many years.

My thought......it is the plasticisers in the material that cause the degradation! Normal use the plasticisers are being used and excess works it way out into the atmosphere.

Unused for months the same plasticisers break down the whole material.

Well, that's my thought - for what it is worth!
I had a similar embarasing experience at a funeral a few months ago. My 'court shoes' haven't been used since I retired 11 years ago and when I got to the crematorium the soles just fell apart leaving black rubber bits all over the polished floor.

I'm grateful for the tip about not mixing diffeent lures and fake baits. I do tend to lump a few different ones in a single compartment.

@Clive

Reaction score
It isn't as good as it used to be. In the early days there used to be some cracking bargains. I still have lots of Patridge hooks and other stuff that I stocked up on before coming out here. Five packets for a quid. Couldn't help myself :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Each spring (although not this spring) I usually stock up with a few items from £1 fishing tackle like swivels, swiveled beads/clips, rod rest heads and rod rests, disgorgers, catapult elastics, fishing lures, baiting needles/drills, small end tackle containers, hooks, float & leger stops and rubbers etc. and if I spend more than £10 it all comes in a nice box :) However sometimes you get less tackle to choose from so it’s worth having a look every month or so, as I think they aquire their stock from discontinued and bankrupt stock.

Keith