my new whip

S

Simon Final

ok i bought a whip because i got hammered last week by someone banning out hundreds of small fish while i was messing about shipping and unshipping my pole,
now as i understand it the idea is that you fish the same length line as the whip so you can swing in small fish quickly, right?
what sort of rigs do you use, same as pole rigs?
do you set up extra long rigs on winders or simply add line to your pole rigs on the bank?
i presume you need to use quite heavy rigs in order to cast effectivly?
and one last question how in the hell do you tie your line to the tip?
thanks
simon

P

Philip Inzani

I am no whip angler but one point I would say is that I remeber seeing a peice by Mike Stone who I thinks a bit of a dab hand at the bread punch/whip method and he recommended using a very light float - a porcupine quill or similar - as you are trying to draw the fish in close. The constant splash from a heavy float may drive them out beyond whip range. Generally it is for speed fishing so you do want the length of line from tip to float such that you can swing them to hand but I will leave it to someone who knows about this stuff a bit better than me to comment on that.

R

Rob Brownfield

Right, I used to use normal pole rigs made up to the full 5, 6 7 meteres or whatever it is. The cast is like a normal fishing rod, so, because everything is on a totally straight line, it does not tangle.

As for tying it to the tip...its easy. Get 3 float rubbers. Place one about 18 inches from the tip, the next half way, the next at the tip. Place the line under these, whilst turning the pole so that the line spirals up the pole tip. I have landed Tench up to 7 pounds by doing this whithout the line slipping.

Hope this helps and makes sense

R

Robert Draper

I picked up a set of 3, 4 & 5m whips at the NEC and I haven't a clue what to do with them. Am I right in thinking that you don't use elastic or anything and just use the spring of the whip against larger fish. Also my whips have fitted eyes on the tips - just tie the line into these?

P

peter webber

A few shops do sell rigs for whips and are very good, but If you have a problem getting hold of these then you can make your own as I do.
You do this at home just as you would a pole rig.
Your line needs to be the same or just shorter then the pole. Small light floats are needed with micro shot. These can then be stored in the same way as pole rigs.
Using the loop at the top of your rig you can pass that through the eye on the end of your pole then pass the rig through that. There are other ways to attach your line and I'll see if I can dig these out for you.
As Simon said these are deadly for baging up on small fish and you do fish them to hand. Whips are just about the fastest way to amass a wieght in a comp where small fish are the target.

R

Rob Brownfield

Robert, yep, tie the line direct to the tip eye. U will be amazed at what u can land on a whip, but remember, they are designed for knocking out big bags of Bleak, dace, roach etc. so dont take them ti a commercial fishery!!

J

john conway

When I bought my whip the guy in the shop super glued a quick release end onto the whip so that I can change my cast as required.

S

Simon Final

would there be any problem in attaching extra line via a loop to loop to an existing pole rig?

R

Rob Brownfield

none at all...i used to do it all the time...its really not a majic art ...its just a pole :eek:)

S

Steven Gillham

simon. i used to do quite a lot of whip fishing once over though mainly on rivers.the rule i used to stick to for my rigs were to use a float size in reference to the lenghth of whip i'm using.eg-say 6meters of whip to hand..0.60g or over,5m-0.50g,4m-0.40g,3m-0.30g and so on.for connecting the line to my whip i used a glued on flick tip connector or use two pieces of silicon tubing,one actually on my rig below the loop and one pushed about 3 inches on the end of the whip.then all you do is anchor the loop of your rig around the piece of silicon on the whip,wrap some line around the tip about 10 times then push the other bit of silicon over the tip. i hope this is some use

S

Steven Gillham

simon i forgot to say you can also use small wagglers on the whip when it's windy.