My wife has said O.K. So I'm Relying On You guys For Some Help To Get Me Started

Mowerman

Reaction score
I have been away from fishing for approx 5 yrs but recently found that the itch is returning.

I would like to have a go at beach lure fishing (purely because I cant be bothered with baits and rigs at the moment) I just want to be able to pick up my gear and go off for a few hours.

I have carp rods 2.5 tc and 1.75tc with various sea and freshwater fixed spool reels, a Daiwa Moonraker beach caster and an Abu Multiplier.

Which combination of rod and reel would work the best?

What lures would be a good starting selection?

What could I expect to catch?

And is it as simple as just tying the lure on and casting it out? (no fancy rigs etc)

My local marks would range from Southampton water down thru Hurst spit to Mudeford in dorset.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

alan

Reaction score
bass and mackeral are showing at the moment. a few bass have been taken from hurst on a dexter wedge, and feathers for the mackeral.

the guys on www.sea-angling.org are based in that area.

Mowerman

Reaction score
Cheers Alan

do you have any thoughts about the gear?

This is going to sound lame but i have never used feathers is it a straight forward lump of lead on the bottom of the feathers?

Mower

alan

Reaction score
not sure about the rod/reel side of it as ive never used them(only got sea stuff)
as for the feathers yes just tie them to your main line with a weight at the bottom and cast them out, i use a dexter wedge as a weight, but as my spinning rod has only been out once this year i havent caught on it yet.

alan

Reaction score
a type of lure, small wedge shaped and normally silver, imitates white bait.

Mowerman

Reaction score
Alan I see you are also in hampshire where would you recommend having a bash?

alan

Reaction score
mackeral are pretty much everywhere at the moment, ive heard of bass being caught from haslar wall(gosport)and hurst castle and south parade pier. they tend to show dusk and dawn at the moment.

if you want some real fun get your self some cheap beachcasting equpiment and go for smouthhounds.

Mowerman

Reaction score
I got the beachcasting gear where and how do you catch Smoothhounds ?

S

Steaker

Having made the move in the opposite direction ie. coast to commercial I can assure you there is just as much to setting up for beach casting and more so.
Simply tying on a feather rig ang thumping out for that elusive 180 chuck is a recipe for disaster. Without at least the basics in casting techniques an understanding of your equipment dynamics and a knowledge of basic rig requirements and essentials such as a shock leader.
It is more likely that you will scatter your neighbours and possibly kill some poor sun worshipper with a cracked off 4oz lead travelling at the speed of light.
Summer mackerel were once great fun off the beach and it's possible that on the right day you can have a lot of fun.
But beware! A badly designed terminal rig can be lethal on a crowded summer beach so do a bit of research and maybe take a few lessons from the profesionals.

William Foxall

Reaction score
you would be able to fish for macky and bass from the piers with your carp rod and a decent fresh water reel, do it meself in the north east when im round that way with a 2.5 tc carp rod and a bait runner type reel with day lites and a 2oz lead, alot use the same method for flattie bashin in the comps.done it meself its good fun, youll enjoy it especailly when a mackeral takes yur lure.

Mowerman

Reaction score
Steaker.

I appreciate the warning and understand wher you are coming from, but reat assured I have done all sorts of fishing mainly carp, but the last 2yrs of my fishing was beachcasting 2 or 3 times a week, so I do know the basics I would in no way consider myself an expert but I can handle a 13ft rod with multiplier well enough.

What I dont want is for me to go down the route I did b4 where it takes over all my spare time, freezer space and garage as we now have a young family and I cannot devote my time to thinking of and making up new rigs etc.

My idea was to be able to just pick up my gear and go for a couple of hours lure fishing which is something i havn't tried b4, hence why I am after advice as to whether my existing carp rods or my beach caster are the most suitable for a bit of fun in the sun and (south coast 1ft high) surf.

For example could I put my multiplier on my carp rod? or should I put my sea fixed spool on my carp rod? or should I stick to the beach caster with multi or F/S reel?

Any advice appreciated.

Oh and many thanks William Foxall will try but there's not too many piers down here.

I checked my gear last night and one carp rod is 2.75 tc if this makes any difference?

J

jason fisher

there's always float fishing off peirs and rocks with the heavier carp rod for bass (if you can get live sand eels all the better) or the odd gar fish.
as far as reels go put the multi on the beech caster and the sea fixed spool on the carp rod.

William Foxall

Reaction score
no it does'nt make a difference, mowerman,you will be able in my opion to use an abu 6000 type reel with this rodwith out too much trouble if its not a too soft an action

Mowerman

Reaction score
Cheers Lads

If i break my gear I now know who to blame!

LOL

Mower

ferret

Reaction score
Have to give up sea fishing due to bad health. Today`s Date 23/08/04

(1) One Sundredge Floatation suit XL worn twice.
(2) Two Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Beach Power 13ft (EXT) casts up to 8oz. Best Cod so far 7lb.
(3) One Daiwa Moonraker 12ft.
(4) one Tripod.
(5) One Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 Elite Used Twice still in box.
(6) 160 5oz bombs and 20 6oz gripleads.
(7) One Kevin Nash Fishing Box(Bag).

Price ?300 Will not split all must go no offers, NO time wasters, you must collect (Scarborough) NorthYorkshire.