Myth or Reality?

dicky123

Reaction score
Very interesting and thought provoking, something that has been bugging me since last summer.
Fishing a rod length out in almost clear river water I could see the bigger roach taking the loose fed maggots but shying away at the last second almost within a hairs breadth of my hook bait. Why ? It plays on my mind ! Sad but true the 2-6oz kamikaze roach don’t seem to care but the bigger ones they look like they could around a 1lb maybe more just won’t take my bait.

Hook size, rate of fall maybe a fraction different than the loose feed, who knows but enough to put them off.
Next season I’m trying a bigger loop in my loop to loop know see if that slows them down enough, or maybe hooking maggots through the back to change the way they fall through the water. ?

Rich. Could I offer a little advice, I'm by no means a expert but: Try a wet cloudy groundbait mix that does not feed the fish. A walnut size every cast, and if using a pole of whip (as I do whip) a matchstick as a float, and just one number 8 down the line. The cloud helps the bigger roach feel safe, it might just work for you?

rich66

Reaction score
Rich. Could I offer a little advice, I'm by no means a expert but: Try a wet cloudy groundbait mix that does not feed the fish. A walnut size every cast, and if using a pole of whip (as I do whip) a matchstick as a float, and just one number 8 down the line. The cloud helps the bigger roach feel safe, it might just work for you?

Cheers I’ll store that idea in mind till those warm summer days when I’m back on the river. Maybe I’ll get my first 1lb roach !