Need advice for a budget Barbel reel.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
5010GTs were definitely XT-7 (a graphite polymer), I've had those too. I guess you could take a hammer to your GTEs for conclusive proof!;):D The GTE-B and GTE-Cs were definitely XT-7 with shiny paint jobs. I have my doubts that they'd take a step back to alloy part way through the model's progression, but it might be possible. Get that hammer out!;)

I may well be wrong Chris but they do look and feel like alloy bodies. If they're graphite I can't weigh up why they where silver under the paint. They are heavier than the5010's also.
Rather than get the hammer out lets say they're graphite ;).

Have a look at the picture of the foot on this reel Chris, the image will magnify when you put your mouse on it. You might be able to see what I mean about the alloy / silver under the paint, if that's what it is......

Shimano 5000 gte Baitrunner | eBay

sam vimes

Reaction score
I may well be wrong Chris but they do look and feel like alloy bodies. If they're graphite I can't weigh up why they where silver under the paint. They are heavier than the5010's also.
Rather than get the hammer out lets say they're graphite ;).

Have a look at the picture of the foot on this reel Chris, the image will magnify when you put your mouse on it. You might be able to see what I mean about the alloy / silver under the paint, if that's what it is......

Shimano 5000 gte Baitrunner | eBay

I've seen similar silvery bits under chips on the GTEBs and GTECs, but know they aren't alloy. Perhaps it's a primer for the paint job over the top? If they are alloy, I still can't quite understand why Shimano would take a step back in tech from the 5010s for the later models. Perhaps they fitted alloy reel stems/feet to counter the complaints of flex that some people make against the "plastic" reels.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen similar silvery bits under chips on the GTEBs and GTECs, but know they aren't alloy. Perhaps it's a primer for the paint job over the top? If they are alloy, I still can't quite understand why Shimano would take a step back in tech from the 5010s for the later models. Perhaps they fitted alloy reel stems/feet to counter the complaints of flex that some people make against the "plastic" reels.

I've no idea if it's a primer but it didn't look like it when I had a reel in my hand that had had paint worn off.
I'm sure i've seen them dented also which I never saw happen with the older 5010's. I wish i'd kept the 5010's, imo the graphite they where made from was bomb proof and they just never seemed to get marked. One very minor gripe with the 5010'swas the lack of instant anti reverse, the handle only moved back a mill or so but it was annoying, the 5000 GTE's have instant anti.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
I have just purchased a pair of Okuma Longbows, really nicely put together, as smooth as anything. A very underrated reel. Pretty good prices as well.