New reel for Chub and Barbel

Manc Fisher

Reaction score
Looking for a new reel to match with the recent Daiwa Powermesh Feeder rod (11' 6") I bought. Been using an old Abu Cardinal which has served me well, but time for an upgrade. I'm targeting chub and barbel on my local river (a small to medium water) - using ledger tactics in the main. Not overly keen on a baitrunners. Caught my first double-figure barbel (11lb 4oz) the other day and the Abu was just about okay. Looking for a quality reel under the £100 mark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
><>

john step

Reaction score
I think any of the big names reels are OK for that price. I recently bought a couple of lower end Daiwas and am surprised at the quality. Most reels seem far superior in quality than those we used years ago.

John Aston

Reaction score
I use a Shimano Exage and love it - but it's pretty hard to buy a bad reel and chubbing doesn't exactly give any reel a work out unless you're trotting or lure fishing

Manc Fisher

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. With the Daiwa Ninja reel would you go 3012A or 4012A model?

mikench

Reaction score
You buy what you want but remember:
1. Reels are not species specific save that big fish, big feeders at distance need cranking power and line capacity.
2. A baitrunner is ideal for a feeder rod and you don't need to use the freespool facility it offers.
3. A baitrunner gives you scope to use conventionally or with the freespool facility. That facility is very useful if you wind in too much, need to let line out and lower your feeder or fish .
4. Daiwa Emcast reels , either the old model of the new are excellent and within your budget.

The bad one

Reaction score
Sorry Mike wouldn't touch Emcast reels, I bought one, a big one, for spodding, wasn't cheap either, within hours of use the line was missing the hardened roller and cutting into the bail arm. The guy in the shop when I took it back said it was a common fault with them. Shop changed it but 12 months afterwards the second one started to do the same. Out of warranty by then. So Daiwa and Emcasts can go right up their bums.

mikench

Reaction score
I have 2 of the originals and I new model and have had no issues at all. I really rate them. Shimano x zéros are superb but above budget

treecutter

Reaction score
If you keep your eyes open you might be able to pick up a used Daiwa Tdm for your budget or if you can stretch another £40 buy one new, I've just replaced my Shimano reels with Daiwa
0dab7b1e1cfc5be9b2835fe8400e2c97.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I have a TDM and it has poor line lay for my OCD vision. It's a reel I never really liked and it's not a patch on the Stradic C14 4000 ra but they are a lot more than your budget. On balance i prefer Shimano but it's purely subjective. There are not many poor quality ones. It would be a baitrunner for me every time with a feeder even if I didn't engage the freespool it's there if needed.

Manc Fisher

Reaction score
I have a TDM and it has poor line lay for my OCD vision. It's a reel I never really liked and it's not a patch on the Stradic C14 4000 ra but they are a lot more than your budget. On balance i prefer Shimano but it's purely subjective. There are not many poor quality ones. It would be a baitrunner for me every time with a feeder even if I didn't engage the freespool it's there if needed.
Thanks for the advice Mike - will ponder the options ><>

Philip

Reaction score
I tend to stick to Shimano or a Diawa reels which are generally a safe bet.

However for a super budget option I got a Shakesphere Sigma 40FD and it has been amazing for the price. I think I paid about £17 for it in a sale. Hasnt got a BR but seems perfect for feeder/Chub/Barbel to me. I totally hammer it and its not given up. From memory it came with both single & double handles plus 2 spools, one shallow. I find myself using that rather than my trusty old Shimano 8010s allot of the time. I liked it so much I got a second one.

I stress its Sigmas I have. I know some people have had problems with some other Shakesphere reels.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
All the reels I use apart from my pins are Shimano baitrunners, I like to be able to switch it on if I’m away from my rod for any reason, I’ve seen a few rods dragged in when not attended, never happened with one of mine.

chevin4

Reaction score
I am not a great lovely of baitrunner reels for this application. I much prefer a Shimano reel with a fighting drag which once you get used to is superior IMO to front or conventional drag reels. There are several models in the sub £100 price point.

John Aston

Reaction score
I like mine very much indeed , and I use it for nearly all my light lure fishing . It has one annoying fault, and that is an almost inaudible clutch. I prefer something louder, ideally. But it it is compact and beautifully made . I do actually prefer a rear drag too , that's why all my fixed spool reels for 'sit down fishing' are Shimanos with a rear drag - far easier to adjust mid fight . But there is a slight weight penalty I suspect, hence the Legalis Daiwa .

But compared to the grindy old crap I was burdened with from the Sixties to the late Eighties just about every quality modern reel is a work of art .

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I've just bought an Okuma Ceymar CBF 3000 Baitfeeder (Baitrunner) Reel for low resistance Perch fishing and for Roach on a Heli Rig.
I've not fished with it yet but it is a smashing reel in the hand. In the larger sizes it could be good for Tench, Chub or Barbel. The Baitfeeder facility clicks off effortlessly with the turn of the handle, nice clutch & a smooth relatively powerful crank from the Duplon handle. The reel body is only 22mm wide! Only comes with one Spool though.
These are the Specs for the CBF 3000:
Gear Ratio 5.0 :1 | Line Retrieve 711mm | LBS/YDS 4/355 6/225 8/175 | Drag 3KG | Bearings 7BB + 1RB | Spool Diameter 42mm | 10yr Okuma Warranty | Only weighs 232g!

This is the link for where I bought mine but they can be got from Tackle Haven in the USA:

I was considering getting a larger one but I have Shimano 6000 GTE already and it's a very good reel too but a bit cumbersome on rods under 12ft.