New Rod for small river roving......

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Howdoo all, and a happy new year!
I'm thinking of spending my Christmas bonus on a shortish rod suitable for enclosed, tree lined narrow brooks and small rivers for a bit of Chub, Perch and whatever else lives there fishing in the venues I've been checking out on walks recently, a lot of 'Stalking' type short rods look to be of a too high Test curve rating for what is likely to be found, ok, you may get lucky and hook a Barbel, but I'm mostly expecting sub 5lb fish realistically.
This looks to fit the bill well......
I have their great 0.75lb Test curve Darent Valley rod which has become a favourite, but this 8 footer looks like a useful, length, packs down small too due to a 3 piece design.
Just wondered if anyone had any alternative suggestions along a similar line, or any experience of the rod in the link?
Regards,
Michael.

Keith M

Reaction score
I havent seen this rod in the flesh but it does look a very useful tool to have on small overgrown streams and rivers, where a longer rod can sometimes become a bit cumbersome when you are fishing below overhanging trees or need to poke it through overgrowing vegetation; its definately not a tool for fighting Barbel but for fish like Chub and such it looks fine; and it comes from a well respected line of rods too.

I’m not sure about using such a short rod when I’m long trotting a stick or Avon for any distance; as picking up my line off the surface at range when striking into a fish normally needs a longer rod than 8ft; however for trotting at shorter distances through your swim; or fishing a lead or small feeder on the bottom of a small stream or river it would be excellent I’m sure.
I like its full cork handle and its livery too.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Angling Direct do a couple of rods mate,very cheap,look good,cant remember the names,but a quick search on site should reveal all....

John Aston

Reaction score
A Shimano Zodias 6 ft rod is worth a look ; I use one for light lure work and it's a joy to use . I've enjoyed little perch on it , but had fun and games with double figure pike and carp too . Pricey - but fabulous for lures and stuff like upstream worm on small streams . Not a rod to tame a big barbel in a tight pool though.

Philip

Reaction score
I have the Tackle box 8 foot rod and like it. It was designed for use on a river that sounds very much like yours (the clues in the name ;) )

A couple of friends saw mine and got one themselves. The rod itself is ideal for roving small rivers. As they mention in the blurb it should be able to handle anything up to good Chub size although like any rod you always have a chance with something bigger.

Although its supplied with two tips, one as a quiver and one ringed for float fishing I don’t actually see allot of difference between the two and although there is nothing to stop you using it for float fishing or drop shotting as they mention in the blurb, I see & use mine primarily as a quiver rod.

One small niggle I have is that although it is indeed 3 piece and packs up very small, the third section is the top/quiver section so its not the same length as the other two which makes it a bit fiddley to band together

The rod bag is a joke…as I guess you will have found out from the 0.75 t/c DV rod but that aside, for the price I found it a very nice rod and ideal to have tucked away in a car boot for example for opportunist moments.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
Avanta Angling Directs own brand offer a range of keenly priced rods. They have a nice through action abs very good value for the price.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Avanta Angling Directs own brand offer a range of keenly priced rods. They have a nice through action abs very good value for the price.

I bought an Avanta spinning rod a few months ago and it was excellent. If you didn’t know you would think it was a much more expensive rod. I’ve had quite a few pike on it since and into double figures and it’s well worth the thirty quid and a good rod if you are just starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
The rod bag is a joke…as I guess you will have found out from the 0.75 t/c DV rod but that aside, for the price I found it a very nice rod and ideal to have tucked away in a car boot for example for opportunist moments.
They do a better quality bag for this particular rod by the look of it......

Aknib

Reaction score
I've just sent this page to a fella at work who's recently re-started fishing, he's been looking for a 10' purely on the basis of some of the parrot cages he fishes but I reckon this would be perfect.

I quite like the look of it too and fancy one myself at that price.

Where are you thinking of using it Michael, are you looking at the likes of the Maun?

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I've just sent this page to a fella at work who's recently re-started fishing, he's been looking for a 10' purely on the basis of some of the parrot cages he fishes but I reckon this would be perfect.

I quite like the look of it too and fancy one myself at that price.

Where are you thinking of using it Michael, are you looking at the likes of the Maun?

I like that term 'Parrot Cages'!
Although a new microwave is now looking to waste some of the money I was going to spend on another rod, I'm still fancying one of these.
I was thinking of some of the areas I've been checking out on walks during the Christmas break, like some of the less fished spots of the river Erewash, and parts of the river Amber look like they might hold a few Chub or Perch. Have not checked out the Maun yet, Aknib, apart from views of it whilst driving past, but it looks to be another one worth an exploratory walk. I quite enjoy getting out seeing what's about as much as the potential fishing spots, had a cracking view of a sparrowhawk from above as I crossed a railway footbridge near the Amber, and a good view of a big old fox going about it's rambles near the Erewash.