Newbee here

Tonga82

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to Angling (only started this last oct 2021) and I've been enjoying it so much I've been going pretty much every weekend since. I managed to catch Chubs perch, roach, dace and bream but my target for this year are barbel and carp.

I have a question I was hopping you lot could help me.

what's the difference between a spinning rod and ledgering/feeder rod?

my mate wants one for his bday and I'm trying to assess what the difference is.

any help will be welcome

john step

Reaction score
Spinning rod often called a lure rod or possibly a drop shot rod is for artificial lures mainly to target predators such as perch, pike, zander, trout, chub etc.
Lures are spinners ( hence the name) soft plastic creature imitations etc. The range is limitless for those with deep pockets.
This is a branch of fishing in its own right.

Ledger or feeder rod sometimes called a quivertip rod in the older days for fishing a bait with a weight to cast and hold bottom against.

Loads of You tube videos on both disciplines. Tight lines.

mikench

Reaction score
A good explanation. Two totally different types of rod for two totally different techniques and if it isn't obvious one will not do the other.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The OP was asking about the difference between the rods, obviously he didn't know otherwise he wouldn't be asking.
It seems as if he is not an angler and was doing his best to buy a suitable rod for his friend.
Maybe his friend will get him fishing and he will enjoy the various methods .
As for one rod not doing both styles ,I have a 7'6" canal wand ,ideal for small feeders/leads , I have also used it with a small waggler and the finest tip in the rod to hit short range lightning bites off small fish, It also came in as a drop shot rod last year,

mikench

Reaction score
I know that Mark and said Pete's explanation is good. I merely clarified that the two techniques were different requiring in my opinion different tackle. You have muddied the waters( pun intended) by implying you can use a feeder rod for lure fishing and vice versa. You could but I am sure the OP's friend desires to fish one technique so he should have a dedicated rod for that.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I know that Mark and said Pete's explanation is good. I merely clarified that the two techniques were different requiring in my opinion different tackle. You have muddied the waters( pun intended) by implying you can use a feeder rod for lure fishing and vice versa. You could but I am sure the OP's friend desires to fish one technique so he should have a dedicated rod for that.
It was a canal wand, very fine tips , not classed as a feeder rod .
In fact a couple of years ago Daiwa were advertising spinning rods in their catalogue and in the write up with a couple of them , they stated they could be used as drop shot rods due to the action.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have put a 3oz tip in a feeder rod for heavy wagglers before now .
And believe it or not ,I had to use my Harrison 13' GTI spliced tip rod as a light feeder rod once, and I caught.
The OP is going to be really confused now !!

mikench

Reaction score
If the question from the OP was that his mate wants to lure fish or feeder fish I cannot believe experienced anglers would recommend a bomb rod for both. Come on gents ! If you only had a feeder rod and fancied casting a lure you could just as you could use a 2 iron to putt with if needs must. His mate deserves a dedicated rod.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If the question from the OP was that his mate wants to lure fish or feeder fish I cannot believe experienced anglers would recommend a bomb rod for both. Come on gents ! If you only had a feeder rod and fancied casting a lure you could just as you could use a 2 iron to putt with if needs must. His mate deserves a dedicated rod.
Mike, no one recommended using bomb rod for both .
We were saying what we had used different rods for, In my case the canal wand for other uses was an experiment and it worked at the time.
And my spliced tip rod was a necessity due to needing a feeder rod at the time, and in one way it was only like using a fine tip feeder rod. . But it was a one off situation .