Night lure fishing for Zander

doebel

Reaction score
In the winter month I do a considerable amount of night fishing with lures for Zander in rivers. With the early dusk of november to february there are two possibilites stay at home or go fishing in darkness.
I only take one rod, a net, a reliable head torch and one box of 4 to 5 inch long shallow running lures (e.g. Bomber, Salmo minnow, illex arnaud), pliers and snaps. All in a very small and light bag.
I use a spinning reel with low gear ratio 1:4,7 which I found is for success.
The lure must be cranked vvvvvery slow, just barley moving. I do one crank per second or less, depending of the flow of the river.
I would wonder if It shouldn t work in the river Servern or elsewhere.
I once saw a video, Matt Hayes fishing the severn for Zeds during daylight.
Have somebody made some experience with night lure fishing for zander?
regards

CHRIS

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I have had Zander after dark on lures. However unlike you i steer away from shallow runners and prefer a lure close to the bottom. I agree about a slow retrieve.

doebel

Reaction score
Philip, thanks for your reply. I had zander too on deep running lures , especially when trolling the big waters in the Netherlands.
Over here there was /is a lot of fuss fishing at night with shallow runners for zeds though jigging during daytime is preferred for the extra kick when the zander inhales the jig .They caĺl it the "tock"
Unfortunately ? I have to work during daylight, respective come home when its getting dark.
Thats the reason I go out for night spinning becoming best friends with beavers,owls and this little cheeky bandits.
I don t go for long ..between 1,5 and 2 h, thats enough.

One magazine here "developed" a special lure for z nightfishing called " Zanderkönig" just running a foot deep. It was a good marketing, but other shallow runners are doing the same for you.

Philip

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I am certainly no lure fishing expert but I would not be confident fishing a shallow runner for Zander, I have always concentrated near the bottom for them but perhaps its worth a go. The other problem is anything fishey up in the water at night were I am is going to be fodder for Wels Catfish of which there are many although in winter they will be less active.

One other thing worth mentioning that perhaps not too many people realize is that you can actually stalk Zander at night by torchlight. Their eyes shine back and you can track them. Even the Zander fry literally an inch or two long their eyes still reflect back as two tiny shiney dots that move around in unison. The wider apart the two dots are the bigger the fish. if your venue has a good head of Zander try shining a strong torch into the shallows after dark.
Obviously clear water helps.

Last edited:

doebel

Reaction score
Yes , due to their tapetum lucidum they reflect light and look like beacons in the dark.
I know anglers who search them by shining at the water with strong headlamps, not my thing.
I enjoy the darkness and the close encounters and use light just at a minimum stage for unhooking , spot changing etc.
Concerning the cats i have no worry. The river I fish has a prolific catfish stock an I never hooked one when fishing this way.
Like I said the wobbler has to be cranked in a very slow manner , almost dead sticking.
If you feel the movement in the rod tip, you are to fast.
The wels aren't attracted by slow such low movements contrary to Zander, though I had few silures on fast moving crankbaits or jigs during daytime, even in winter.
I call this kind of fishing coma angling, because of the extrem slow retrieve. Sounds weird, but works.
Have look here

Philip

Reaction score
Good stuff. …I may give it a go.

..if I catch a Wels which in my experience will take literally anything fast, slow or even static I will let you know ;)

Last edited:

Reaction score
I think I would rather cast a deadbait out,but hey-ho,lol...

doebel

Reaction score
Deadbaits are a god choice, but setting two traps and sitting in a compfy chair for short sessions?

Philip

Reaction score
Livebaiting will always be my first choice for them or any predator for that matter.

I accept I am not a very good lure fisherman. For some reason I just dont enjoy it as much as bait fishing but I cant quite put my finger on why. The main appeal of lures for me is from a practicality point of view as you dont have to worry about getting, storing or transporting bait so a good option for travelling light and having a few casts at short notice. For the same reason I find lure fishing is a good holiday fishing option.

doebel

Reaction score
Hi Philip, the same for me. I would see myself as allrounder in every respect.
I think fishing offers so many methods and species to fish for, it can' t get boring.
When i started Z fishing everybody told me how hard it is to catch Z with artificials, though I opted for livebaiting, later deadbaiting (vertebrates arent longer allowed in Germany as baits) for them with considerable success.
When joining the DHC, the German equivallent of the PAC in G.B. I went on a bit more with artificials. Yes , its more rewarding for me to see a pikefloat sailing away or to hear the sound of a bite alarm, but - like you said- for a quick session artificials are perfect.

Coming back to the topic

BTW I am far away from being a good lure fisherman, but fishing wobblers at night for zander is not art, its dead easy and you have the waters with good zanderstocks, like the fen waters , severn,etc.
Winter, Darkness and slow moving lures are a sure bet for zander.

I hope somebody who is following the thread will give it a go and respond with some results.