No Chub near Petersfield, Hants

Simon Vicos

Reaction score
All, love my Chub fishing but only 2 in the last 6 years from my local rother, time to move on. A river in decline due to abstraction in summer and a broken weir thats dropped the river by 2 feet and shows no sign of being fixed anytime soon. Just huge floods and large mounds of sediment thats killing the fishing, a disinterested club who run the river (more interested in their lake full of 6lb Carp). At my wits end

Is there a club within 30 miles of me that offers decent Chub fishing.

Yours in hope......

Simon Vicos

Reaction score
I'm a member of Christchurch, joined last season and finding my way there. Just a real shame my local river has been ruined by the EA and the club dont talk to its membership.

Would you advise maggots over Breadflake for Avon Chub?

terry m

Reaction score
Would personally use bread flake or luncheon meat at this time of the year. All depends on how much colour the water is carrying.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Strange that,many anglers I know who fish the Avon swear by maggot especially on the float,both are great baits however and a bit of swapping around would soon find your answer after a few sessions.

Reaction score
I'm part of Portsmouth and District Angling club which runs a few stretches of river near Portsdown Hill/ Southwick and Bishops Waltham. Within 30 miles as I work in Midhurst so do the journey alot! The river fishing is lovely on the upper Hamble stretch. Always happy as well to sort a guest ticket out for you.
Lloyd

Deejay8

Reaction score
Test Valley Angling Club, based over in Totton near Southampton , have a couple of rivers that hold chub. They are all tributaries or side streams of the River Test. They also have access to a stretch of the Test itself in the Winter.