Oi! Get Out of My Sea-Trout Pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny, you (together with huge numbers of modern Brits) appear not to understand just how much Britain has changed in the past 30-odd years, how less socially mobile and all-areas inaccessible to celebs and movers and shakers and the like it has become.

For a time here in Britain, you could be drinking with a couple of mates in some grotty pub, maybe taking in an equally grotty band, get talking with someone who, it turned out, was the kid sister of a then currently famous rock musician and who promptly took you back to the house she was sharing with some, say, fellow art students, one of whom had a brother in another up-and-coming band or worked in the music industry or book world.

You didn't need to be posh or well-connected, it just happened; there were no barriers, no paranoid celebs with their Security and "people" stopping you from, well, just bumping into them, then being invited to gigs, parties, book things, whatever.

More of us Brits, I believe, should be missing the Britain of that time, for it is just a very few well-protected, private and paranoid Us and a "Keep them away from me" awful, intrusive Them, no mixing and sharing and helping each other out irrespective of background, rather divided and bitter little place, now.

Never, Marge. Never. I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I obviously must have spent the 70s drinking in the wrong grotty pubs....

Hard as it might be to believe, even The Treaty and the Load of Hay and numerous pubs along the benighted Uxbridge Road had some interesting scenes going on back then. Even the Cherry Tree at West Drayton where, on one mid 1970s, midsummer's afternoon, me and my mate Ian (a bass-player) ended up having a drinking session on the adjacent green with a couple of local boys, The Sweet's Brian Connolly and The Faces' / Stones' Ronnie Wood. My one pint of larger to their every four plus accompanying double Shorts. I understand that Ronnie is still alive.

And that's just in super-grotty land. Imagine what was going on in Hammersmith (The Greyhound, Fulham Palace Road), let alone in a very funky, then totally ungentrified, Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove. And that's just, usual suspect, guilty as charged London; it was happening all over the country.

The Runner

Reaction score
Hard as it might be to believe, even The Treaty and the Load of Hay and numerous pubs along the benighted Uxbridge Road had some interesting scenes going on back then. Even the Cherry Tree at West Drayton where, on one mid 1970s, midsummer's afternoon, me and my mate Ian (a bass-player) ended up having a drinking session on the adjacent green with a couple of local boys, The Sweet's Brian Connolly and The Faces' / Stones' Ronnie Wood. My one pint of larger to their every four plus accompanying double Shorts. I understand that Ronnie is still alive.

And that's just in super-grotty land. Imagine what was going on in Hammersmith (The Greyhound, Fulham Palace Road), let alone in a very funky, then totally ungentrified, Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove. And that's just, usual suspect, guilty as charged London; it was happening all over the country.
Not so much in the West end of Newcastle where I lived until the late 70s ...
Did play darts a few times with Alan Hull of Lindisfarne though.
By the time I moved to the Uxbridge area in 82 or so I think all that there was going on in the immediate area was a gruesome folk club in the Load of Hay. Spot on beer though...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not so much in the West end of Newcastle where I lived until the late 70s ...
Did play darts a few times with Alan Hull of Lindisfarne though.
By the time I moved to the Uxbridge area in 82 or so I think all that there was going on in the immediate area was a gruesome folk club in the Load of Hay. Spot on beer though...

L of H and the Uxbridge Folk Club

Me, Ian, Les (his chaotic but excellent lead guitarist) and Roland the drummer (lived in Harefield Road opposite the Abrook Arms, in which back then pretty, interesting girls occasionally used to drink) or Mick the other drummer (Burnham, near Slough) and a few others used to rock along to their meetings and have a crippling, private laugh in the front bar or in the garden outside.

Some here might remember an ancient telly ad for Fairy Liquid - "Hands that do dishes can be soft as your face ... with mild green Fairy Liquid".

Ian used to place a finger in his ear and sing the above words with a tortured traditional Folky delivery. Brilliant.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
'twas a vice both obscure and unsavoury
kept the Bishop of leicester in slavery
with terrible howls he'd devour young owls
in his crypt,kitted out as an aviary.

B****r all to do with the topic but it just came to me after reading the dread poets society programme.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We had a local celebrity in Shrewsbury in the 70s, he was a middleweight boxer who could have been a contender but the lifestyle got to him and he turned into a very nasty drunk.
I was present as a medical engineer one night in the early 80s when he was brought into A&E screaming like a little girl after dislocating his big toe when he kicked a solid object during a drunken rage.
The reason for my presence was to simply change the 'o' ring on the entonox regulator which was leaking and the only pain relief he was allowed due to his intoxication.
When I turned up he had already been there an hour and just about everyone but especially the large German lady registrar who had been on the sharp end of his bile filled rant was fed up with him so when he turned his attentions to me for keeping him waiting (it was after hours and I was on call) she took her chance to pounce (very nimble for a big girl) and straightened his toe in the blink of an eye.
It was a pleasure to see such a nasty piece of work put in his place. And just for good measure they gave him a charcoal stomach pump to detox him.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Apart from spending a very nice afternoon with Phil Cool and his family in a water park in Florida and a couple of hours with some long haired old bloke with bleach blond hair who I took for a local ex pat but turned out to be Peter Stringfellow in a bar in Malaga that has been the total of my brushes with celebrity.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Thank you, Greenie.

Only a handful of them, too.

Their "names" - CC, T and, of course, N - are to be found in this thread and in many others in which some well-concerted Boote Bashing apropos of nothing that I have said about the individuals concerned has taken place. T had serial "form" for similar unpleasant stuff on another forum, it should be noted. He is seldom seen there now.

If this few would stop, stop now, then none of these "forum fires" would happen - bliss for me, bliss for all FM-ers who have to stand by and watch yet another one start then rage unchecked for days and days, die down then break out in another spot a few days later.

Imagine....

Paul, still playing the blameless victim then, somethings never change do they?

"Their names" - well you can put my name down as well, along with a good few others from what I've seen.

Happy New Year.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

I'm not sure what all the mystery is about sea trout, I cut my teeth on them in the Dee and the Ceiriog.

Seem to recall them being a bit suicidal so long as you didn't spook them. Good eating though.

Returning to a fishy topic, I also fail to see the great allure that seems to shroud sea trout, all that's needed is a coloured river and they become impossibly easy to catch!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul, still playing the blameless victim then, somethings never change do they?

"Their names" - well you can put my name down as well, along with a good few others from I've seen.

Happy New Year.

CG - Yet another past Serial Nasty from at least one other site.

The rest of the human race, including Anglers, are now sick of such pathetic "Can't help myself" types.

STOP THIS NOW.

cg74

Reaction score
CG - Yet another past Serial Nasty from at least one other site.

The rest of the human race, including Anglers, are now sick of such pathetic "Can't help myself" types.

STOP THIS NOW.

"At least one other site."
Lets be accurate, I've only had the misfortune of encountering you on one other site, BFW, where we've both been banned from.
And you were such a joyous bundle of pleasantness on there weren't you?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"At least one other site."
Lets be accurate, I've only had the misfortune of encountering you on one other site, BFW, where we've both been banned from.
And you were such a joyous bundle of pleasantness on there weren't you?

Merely (and very effectively and highly uncomfortably, for some) defending Anglers from - oh Cotswold region, I see - PR fake-job politicians and schemers like you. I ate such types for breakfast after a few too many unwise pints when I was a kid and learned immediately to spew them out. That was then, this is now, but the need to expel unwanted rubbish is even greater now. Do try harder ... who is it? ... [moderation edit] Your name will be in my records somewhere; I play a frighteningly and complex long game.

Anyway, try doing some fishing and not mixing it with a Proper Angler and a Big Beast like me.

HNY, ya hear?

Last edited by a moderator:

nicepix

Reaction score
Merely (and very effectively and highly uncomfortably, for some) defending Anglers from - oh Cotswold region, I see - PR fake-job politicians and schemers like you. I ate such types for breakfast after a few too many unwise pints when I was a kid and learned immediately to spew them out. That was then, this is now, but the need to expel unwanted rubbish is even greater now. Do try harder ... who is it? ... Colin Gordon? Your name will be in my records somewhere; I play a frighteningly and complex long game.

Anyway, try doing some fishing and not mixing it with a Proper Angler and a Big Beast like me.

HNY, ya hear?

Now then Greenie; analyse that :eek:mg:

It is amazing how many times Boote mentions this pack of hounds who have pursued him from forum to forum yet it is all nonsense. He has been banned from forums I've never visited let alone been a member of. Funny also how despite his oft claimed encrypted thrice stored files he can't seem to get the facts right :wh

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now then Greenie; analyse that :eek:mg:

It is amazing how many times Boote mentions this pack of hounds who have pursued him from forum to forum yet it is all nonsense. He has been banned from forums I've never visited let alone been a member of. Funny also how despite his oft claimed encrypted thrice stored files he can't seem to get the facts right :wh

Proof if it ever were needed.

Just stop this handful of repeat offender nasties, someone, and ALL of this will stop.

They're doing this site and its owners a lot more harm than they are doing to me.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Merely (and very effectively and highly uncomfortably, for some) defending Anglers from - oh Cotswold region, I see - PR fake-job politicians and schemers like you. I ate such types for breakfast after a few too many unwise pints when I was a kid and learned immediately to spew them out. That was then, this is now, but the need to expel unwanted rubbish is even greater now. Do try harder ... who is it? ... Colin Gordon? Your name will be in my records somewhere; I play a frighteningly and complex long game.

HNY, ya hear?

Posting unintelligible bitterness at 11.45 on the busiest social night of the year. No celebrity parties to go to then?
Never mind, you can have the whole place to yourself again this morning as I'm sure most of us (who have managed not to alienate everyone we ever came into contact with) will be entertaining, or being entertained by, family and friends until well into the afternoon.

Must go now and make a start, got 9 for lunch today, nothing fancy just a nice big leg of pork from the local butcher, I worked with his mum you know.

Have a nice day Paul, I'm sure there'll be something on the telly worth watching.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Posting unintelligible bitterness at 11.45 on the busiest social night of the year. No celebrity parties to go to then?
Never mind, you can have the whole place to yourself again this morning as I'm sure most of us (who have managed not to alienate everyone we ever came into contact with) will be entertaining, or being entertained by, family and friends until well into the afternoon.

Must go now and make a start, got 9 for lunch today, nothing fancy just a nice big leg of pork from the local butcher, I worked with his mum you know.

Have a nice day Paul, I'm sure there'll be something on the telly worth watching.

Poisonous people never sleep; they will try it on at any time, even in the last minutes of a year. That's why one of them got an 11.45pm New Years Eve reply from me.

As I have said many times now in this - what was it? - oh yes, Media Monsters Visit Argentina - thread, just stop this nonsense.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This repeat prescription poison could be stopped in an instant, benny, it ain't Rocket Salad.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good news for Nouveau Mr Toad types, too, I hear - per-litre prices of Neat Hatred are to fall heavily in 2015. Soon, we'll all be able to run steeds well beyond a clapped-out Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.