OLD ROD'S

L

Laurie Harper

Intrepid Black Prince? Ah, memories. Anyone remember the Monarch. I had a blue one - still got it somewhere, together with the Prince Regent I upgraded to. From there, moved to the dizzy heights of a Mitchell 300, then a 410.

I still use a couple of oldglass rods occasionally that I built on Conoflex blanks. They're very abuse proof, sogood to use with a bait dropper, but also have a nice, fluid action which I like for legering with heavier leads. However, have to agree thatcarbon is better - snappier, lighter and easier to use.

Of course, it's not all about efficiency. Ieven dig out my cane rods on occasion, too, if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic.

Reaction score
I currently using 3lb line with my 13ft fibre float rod green drake, being a bit of a caveman i don't have too much bother using that length fibre rod but i do think 12ft is the best max length will be trying out my 12ft match very soon. love the fact that people use the very latest advances but still like being nostalgic.

Green Drake

Reaction score
I agree that a 12 foot glass rod is about right especially if you will be trotting with it.

I've posted a few pictures on my gallery of some of my glass rods and also a very old cane rod that I give an outing to once a season. The B&W is now a landing net handle as explained earlier.