Over grown

mvwales

Reaction score
I decided to fish the wye alot this summer so i got a membership to make it more cost effective, but after going to see two of the four streaches im entitled to fish,
well so far it has left me feeling a bit daunted and like iv wasted my money lol the first streach
I visited was thomas wood it took a fair walk to get there in the first place and once there it was extremely over grown i could barely see the river let alone go to the waters edge and the banks looked to steep and dangerous to try and navigate trough the dense vegitation when i finaly found one spot where i could see and touch the water properly there was that many boats you could not have cast a lead with out taking some ones head off.

The second streach I visted was Goodrich Court which had a few more acsessble spots and a nice glide at the end which could be trotted with ease but yet again most of it was very over grown with steep banks 90% seemed inacessible,
I could have drove to the other side of the river which looked slightly more accessible but at that point it was and unwanted xtra journey after the miles i had already walked.

Any body have any experiance with the wye have any adivce? I still have two more streaches to check out

sagalout

Reaction score
In my very limited experience of the Wye, I have found steep (ie almost vertical) banks with thick vegetation at the top the to be normal.

mikench

Reaction score
Wye oh Wye do we have these problems? If I have to take life saving equipment to any of the rivers I can now fish, I will stick to the stillwaters:rolleyes:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Once the season starts it will soon be apparent where the best swims are.

On the other hand if your after fewer boats and plenty of accessible swims you can't beat Hereford waters.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yours is a pretty common complaint. My advice to anyone fishing the Wye is to bring a seriously long handled landing net.

Reaction score
I agree(Phil if I remember correctly from my past on FM?),in fact,I don't want rivers to be low banked and open,even though it is a pain sometimes losing bank space,the fish need unfished areas where they feel secure,giving them somewhere to lie up after being caught is for the benefit of all,bankside management should be kept to the minimum,as long as there are some decent points of access.

B

binka

A stake and a length of rope is part of many Wye anglers kit because of the...

I thought you were going to say...

VAMPIRES!

I bet there would still be someone moaning if they heard you hammering in the stake :D

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
There are plenty of places on the Wye where you can have reasonable banks for some comfort.

You just joined the wrong club!

Of course, sometimes you have to earn the fish.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

You have got the Warks Avon not too far away. Mainly nice comfy swims and plenty of choice for £25 OAP BAA ticket.

Their Wye bit is pretty even banked as well.

Of course their Lower Seven bits and Teme you will need a ladder, rope, climbing boots etc. But then not if you fish it when it's top of the bank and 12ft or more up. Best time too!