Pendulum Cast

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Hi all Im trying to get to grips with the pendulum cast...I just cant get my head round all the diagrams!!! Does anyone know of a video online or annimation that shows this cast or indeed any other good surf casting casts all your help would be great Kia Ora

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Or at least some easy to follow drawings going throug it step by step... cheers

J

jason fisher

there are a couple of threads on here about it some where.

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
what cracked it for me was getting the first part of the cast right. This meant standing in the back garden practising pulling the lead back from the outswing and getting it to climb up over my head. When I got that far I could then feel the lead starting to load the rod.
Having got that far it was fairly easy to progress to turning, fully loading, aiming high (don't look at the ground cos the lead will follow your eyes!), and punching the lead seaward.
It's very important to make sure that when you have got the lead high on the back swing that you don't lose contact with it. You need to feel the pull from the lead and keep it all tight. If you dont you will just jerk at it, you will lose all the energy you have stored in the rod, the lead will fall and you will end up with a really poor cast, and maybe even lose your bait or crack off.
Oh, and good foot movement as well.
Patience and practice, if I can do it anyone can!!
Hope this helps.

J

jason fisher

i could pop over and give you a demonstration if you like kiwi and if you don't mind going halves on the air fare.

F

Frothey

Neil Mankellow

How far can you cast without pendulum? they reckon if you cant do 130+ with an off the ground cast then its not worth trying till you can.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I reckon I could hit 130-140 with aan off the ground....
But as I am surf fishing and using serious breakaways...due to 10ft surf dont really see how to do off the ground, without breakaway sticking in sand?????

F

Frothey

if you're worried about the spike sticking in the sand, put the lead on a plate ;)

J

jason fisher

if you're waist deep in water you won't be able to pendulum properly anyway, you need a long drop from the rod tip to get the most out of it.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
So if thats the case what cast would you reccomend???
I really need those extra yards....

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
quite a way it just depends on tide and surf sometimes up to 50yds or even 100yds....very shallow beach

F

Frothey

i was going to say that jason!

there is a way of doing off the ground we used to use in a couple of swims.....get a drain pipe, cut it in half and stick a pole to it so the pipe will be horizontal. wade out with it and stick it in the sand so the pipes just above water level, parralell to the beach. lay the rig in it and you can "off the ground" cast. make sense?

if you're only wading out 50yds, probably better to stay on the beach and pendulum/otg though!

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
or try a really long rod, some available at 18', and an over-head thump with a short drop. It might work but will cost money to find out!

Trev [Hants] 3

Reaction score
You don't want a full pendulum for this, you just want a simple arialised off the ground cast.

Use a longish drop, so the lead hangs about two feet above your top hand if you hold the rod upright (this is just a starting suggestion, you can experiment with the drop later).

Then swing the lead right out behind you, keeping it as close as possible to the surface of the water. To keep the lead close to the water you will have to lower the rod tip as the lead swings further away from you. If you get everything right, when the lead reaches its furthest point from you, the lead, line and rod will be pretty much in a straight line, with the lead still just above the surface of the water.

The trick here is to get the lead as far away behind you as possible, so if you can lean a little and stretch a bit, so much the better. (The further away behind you you can get the lead, the better, because this willmaximise the length of your casting stroke and therefore the power you can feed into the cast.)

Then, turn into the direction of the cast and bring the rod forward in a spear like motion, aiming high and looking high. Once your left arm is straight, or pretty close to it and your right arm about level with your shoulder, you can do the usual pull down with your left arm and push with your right to finish off the cast.

Even waist deep in water, you should be able to hit 100yds+ like this.

To improve distance even more (if you need it), instead of starting the cast by swinging the lead right out behind you, try twisting a bit further and swinging the lead out to about 7 o'clock (if straight ahead is 12 o'clock and directly behind is 6 o'clock). Then, before you start the forward motion you will have to turn towards the direction of cast a bit more and that will give you a bit extra rod compression and therefore a little extra distance.

Hope this helps.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Trev
Fantastic advice I will give it a go when Im next in the surf....Shouldnt be too long away its 29degrees here today.......
Now wheres my rod....